Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher Enhanced Edition

CD Projekt RED announces plans to release The Witcher Enhanced Edition in May, offering an updated version of the highly regarded action/RPG. The enhancements come in the way of additional features, as outlined in this YouTube video where new stuff is shown off and described by the game's developers (in their native Polish, but there are English subtitles). The press release announcing the game is actually longer than War and Peace, so here's an excerpt:

Maciej Szcześnik, Project Manager at CD Projekt RED, spoke about the content provided in the new edition: "The Witcher Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product, something rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would have been best if the original edition could look that way. There were a few ways the original game didn’t quite live up to our high expectations, but now we're trying to make up for it. Work is being done on two levels: one concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. Some of those elements include the loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different PC configurations, as well as an array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English-language version will, for the most part, be completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of other language versions, most of them will be improved in some way. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters. The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that players criticized the most. For example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished. However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and non-player characters will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their body language during conversations much more natural. Additionally, the facial animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural, as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to those changes, The Witcher will almost be the ideal game for fans of PC role-playing."

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. tüp bebek merkezleri May 17, 2008, 15:26 kardelen133

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 20:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: ... Feb 21, 2008, 16:02 Overon

Yeah yeah yeah. Will this break save games?

86. ... Feb 20, 2008, 17:50 theyarecomingforyou

Oblivion was hyped up before it was even released. It received many awards from various reviewers and was generally praised. At this point I don't really care if all that praise was warranted or not.

The Witcher was a sleeper hit. There was no hype machine behind this one. All the praise it gets is from people who were pleasantly surprised by the game and passed the word along to other games via sites like this. That's what I care about.
So all hyped games are immediately undeserving and only sleeper hits are worth considering? That's effectively what you're implying. I'm sorry but Oblivion got a lot of praise because the graphics were revolutionary, the AI was revolutionary (despite its flaws) and the openness / world size was pretty radical - it was a great game with top Hollywood voice acting and demonstrated that acting for computer games is important and not just an afterthought. I'm all for supporting the underdog but I think to place extra weight on them is a mistake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

85. Re: Hmmmm Feb 20, 2008, 00:20 Creston

But having a pissing contest over 2 such dissimilar games seems a little pointless.

Hi, welcome to Bluesnews!

Creston

84. Re: Hmmmm Feb 19, 2008, 21:20 Overon

So will this stuff break current save games?

83. Re: Hmmmm Feb 19, 2008, 19:19 Prez

I love Oblivion, and I expect to love the Witcher when I pick it up. But having a pissing contest over 2 such dissimilar games seems a little pointless.

And it's very cool that all users will be able to download the extra content. THAT is the way an update should be done.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

82. Re: Hmmmm Feb 19, 2008, 18:52 Elwro

I wonder how many times it'll have to be repeated in this thread: all registered users of the game will be able to download all the enhancements for free.

81. Hmmmm Feb 19, 2008, 18:36 Creston

On the one hand, redoing a game to make it more polished and in general just better, is a good thing. On the other hand, unless they somehow allow the owners of the original game to get all this "polish", it's a gigantic "FUCK YOU" to everyone who bought the original.

Okay, that's cool then

Still, according to a good buddy, his load times became very good once he got the latest patch and upped his RAM to 3 Gig, so most likely I'll get this sometime in June or so. It's primarily the load times that have kept me from buying it already. I fucking hate "Loading" screens. Hello Valve.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 18:54.

80. Re: Fantastic RPG Feb 19, 2008, 14:34 CTone

I have been playing cRPG's since the late 80's & to be honest this is by far one of the BEST games I have ever played in that genre. Amazing story telling, great graphics & a great adult theme. I'll probably be buying this one as well.

I ignore the opinion of anyone that doesn't list Planescape: Torment as one of their favorite RPG's of all time.

79. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 11:26 xXBatmanXx

People just agree to disagree, or Dagok and I will have to start another PS3 debate!

ehhehehehehe

I am still going to get the game - ya wankers.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

78. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 11:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Overall I don't know if Oblivions shortcomings were an issue with getting everything on 1 DVD for the 360, or 360 hardware limitations, or time limitations by Beth.
Seems that it was just technically not feasible for them to get all of the things that they were showing off to actually work within the game. The PC version of the game was pretty bad, even after patches. Only the mods have made it into the great game experience that it should have been from the start.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

77. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 11:24 MMORPGHoD

Oblivion was hyped up before it was even released. It received many awards from various reviewers and was generally praised. At this point I don't really care if all that praise was warranted or not.

The Witcher was a sleeper hit. There was no hype machine behind this one. All the praise it gets is from people who were pleasantly surprised by the game and passed the word along to other games via sites like this. That's what I care about. Deserving games that don't have the marketing cash behind it should be given credit where credit is due.

Quite frankly, Oblivion is in the past.. from my point of view it might as well be as old as Fallout, because I won't be installing it again. Time to move forward and praise the games that are being installed today, so that devs will see a reason to keep making more of them.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 11:25.

76. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 10:39 The Half Elf

Well the Radiant AI that was shown at the E3 360 show obviously never made it into the game.
Did I enjoy Oblivion's freedom? Yes, but at the same time the monster scaling was a very 'quick and dirty' fix, at least to me personally. Did I mind it to the point of not playing it? No. But would have I enjoyed some area's that I couldn't just wander into due to having my ass handed to me? Yes.
Did I ever come across any show stopper bugs (crashes and/or NPC's doing funky stuff that I had to restart or reload the game) No. But at times, I would have half of a city fighting guards due to them being attacked accidentally by the guards, and one time a quest NPC sorta went nuts and ran off attacking the guards.

Overall I don't know if Oblivions shortcomings were an issue with getting everything on 1 DVD for the 360, or 360 hardware limitations, or time limitations by Beth.

Is The Witcher the 'Portal' of CRPG's? I don't know but honestly, the reviews (yes they aren't all bad, but what constantly gets reviewed as BAD in them) don't warrant me enough to want to purchase the game, and the videos I have seen don't really draw me to the game either.

People just agree to disagree, or Dagok and I will have to start another PS3 debate!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

75. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 10:21 Navaros

Just because a couple of NPCs out of hundreds do some stupid shit every once in a while doesn't mean that all NPCs do stupid shit all of the time. Quite the opposite. Those AI glitches are a rather rare occurence.

Playing Oblivion just leads to additional NPC AI ludicrousities to coming to bear addition to the popular, well-known ones. Ie: The Knight who comes in the first Oblivion gate with you getting permanently stuck running into a cliff edge ad infinitum, with no way to unstick him. Or the NPCs constantly going around having the same exact conversations with each other about mudcrabs for the 10 millionth time. Or a woman telling another old beggar woman to go check out the great work of the armorer in town.

The list of evidences for Oblivion's Radiant AI not having any Intelligence at all is endless. It is the rule, not the exception. Just about every NPC in Oblivion is a victim of this. To pretend the NPCS in Oblivion have AI that amounts to anything other than immersion-breaking epic fail, is bullshit.

The Witcher has no such problems.
This comment was edited on Feb 19, 10:22.

74. No subject Feb 19, 2008, 08:20 theyarecomingforyou

Unfortunately I have to agree with CJ_Parker. And to call Oblivion a "hollow world" is actually ridiculous. I've been able to put 200hrs into Oblivion, something that has not been the case with any other game (unless you count online games like Counter-Strike). The linear nature of The Witcher just irks me, much like it did with HL2 Ep1... it just doesn't feel as open as games like KOTOR, which also got the action elements down well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

73. Re: ... Feb 19, 2008, 07:39 CJ_Parker

True, Oblivion doesn't restrict where you can go by "fencing you in". But, that tradeoff comes at a horrible price.

No, it doesn't.

The price of that tradeoff is that Oblivion mostly just has a generic, empty, hollow world.

That's 100% grade A bullshit.

That you can go anywhere you want doesn't matter, because there is very little, if any, meaningful content anywhere in that world.

Yes there is. You just got to *gasp* actually put some effort into finding it instead of being railroaded towards it like in The Witcher where you just can't miss any content unless you intentionally choose to ignore it.

Oblivion feels like a dead, hollow world.

You already just said that like two seconds ago, you Alzheimer clown.

The Witcher feels like a living world because it develops all your relationships with the NPCs to do a fantastic job of making them seem like real persons. Oblivion doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of that.

Bullshit. Oblivion has a bunch of excellent NPCs with fleshed out backgrounds and naturally hordes of pretty generic filler NPCs that are simply needed in a world of that scope.

By The Witcher "fencing you in", it is able to create a game that chockfull of meaningful content.

You really do suffer from Alzheimer, don't you? Or is one of your parents a fucking parrot or something?

Every event feels like it's really happening, every person feels like a real living person. Everything in the world feels living.

No, it doesn't. The "fenced in" crap alone and the fact that your movement is very limited and the fact that the game has no Z-axis but that it is only pseudo-3D make it feel infinitely less believable than the world in many, many other games. Actually the world in The Witcher in many ways feels like a stage setup just made for the player to play on and in and around with. It feels artificial and generic.

The Witcher does have quick travel, by the way. So no, travel is never a chore in The Witcher.

Yes, it is.

Subquests in The Witcher are very complex and well done, not sure how Oblivion has any subquests that can even try to compete.

Quests like the one where you enter the world inside the painting in Oblivion are infinitely more creative and better done than any single quest in The Witcher.

As for saying the NPCs in Oblivion go off and do their own thing. That's a joke. All they do is ignore you when you kill people in front of them, or go stare at walls for 6 hours in a row, then go home. Here's some good links to show how the "brilliant" Oblivion NPCs go off and do their own thing. The Witcher doesn't have any immersion-breaking, ridiculous NPCs like this. The Witcher's NPCs are a billion times more believable than Oblivion's and don't behave in ludicrous, immersion-breaking ways as Oblivion's do.

100% grade A bullshit once again. Just because a couple of NPCs out of hundreds do some stupid shit every once in a while doesn't mean that all NPCs do stupid shit all of the time. Quite the opposite. Those AI glitches are a rather rare occurence. If you really would have actually played Oblivion instead of just watching "omg teh funnieeeh vidz" and repeating what your hardcore elitist RPG retard friends told you then you'd know it all to well, too.

In essence: Go. Fuck. Yourself. In. The. Ass. Long. Time.

Thank you,

Your friendly neighborhood bro C.J.

72. Re: ... Feb 19, 2008, 03:46 Cutter

From Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett

He stalked away through the ruined palace, Vimes trailing behind, until he reached the Oblong Office. It was quite tidy. It had escaped most of the devastation with nothing more than a layer of dust. The Patrician sat down, and suddenly it was as if he'd never left. Vimes wondered if he ever had.
He picked up a sheaf of papers and brushed the plaster off them.
'Sad,' he said. 'Lupine was such a tidy-minded man.'
'Yes, sir.'
The Patrician steepled his hands and looked at Vimes over the top of them.
'Let me give you some advice, Captain,' he said.
'Yes, sir?'
'It may help you make some sense of the world.'
'Sir.'
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people,' said the man. 'You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'
He waved his thin hand towards the city and walked over to the window.
'A great rolling sea of evil,' he said, almost proprietorially. 'Shallower in some places, of course, but deeper, oh, so much deeper in others. But people like you put together little rafts of rules and vaguely good intentions and say, this is the opposite, this will triumph in the end. Amazing!' He slapped Vimes good-naturedly on the back.
'Down there,' he said, 'are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any iniquity. All out of a kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathsomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don't say no. I'm sorry if this offends you,' he added, patting the captain's shoulder, 'but you fellows really need us.'
'Yes, sir?' said Vimes quietly.
'Oh, yes. We're the only ones who know how to make things work. You see, the only thing the good people are good at is overthrowing the bad people. And you're good at that, I'll grant you. But the trouble is that it's the only thing you're good at. One day it's the ringing of the bells and the casting down of the evil tyrant, and the next it's everyone sitting around complaining that ever since the tyrant was overthrown no-one's been taking out the trash. Because the bad people know how to plan. It's part of the specification, you might say. Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack.'
'Maybe. But you're wrong about the rest!' said Vimes. 'It's just because people are afraid, and alone—' He paused. It sounded pretty hollow, even to him.
He shrugged. 'They're just people,' he said. 'They're just doing what people do. Sir.'
Lord Vetinari gave him a friendly smile.
'Of course, of course,' he said. 'You have to believe that, I appreciate. Otherwise you'd go quite mad. Otherwise you'd think you're standing on a feather-thin bridge over the vaults of Hell. Otherwise existence would be a dark agony and the only hope would be that there is no life after death. I quite understand.' He looked at his desk, and sighed. 'And now,' he said, 'there is such a lot to do. I'm afraid poor Wonse was a good servant but an inefficient master. So you may go. Have a good night's sleep. Oh, and do bring your men in tomorrow. The city must show its gratitude.'
'It must what?' said Vimes.
The Patrician looked at a scroll. Already his voice was back to the distant tones of one who organizes and plans and controls.
'Its gratitude,' he said. 'After every triumphant victory there must be heroes. It is essential. Then everyone will know that everything has been done properly.'
He glanced at Vimes over the top of the scroll.
'It's all part of the natural order of things,' he said.
After a while he made a few pencil annotations to the paper in front of him and looked up.
'I said,' he said, 'that you may go.'
Vimes paused at the door.
'Do you believe all that, sir?' he said. 'About the endless evil and the sheer blackness?'
'Indeed, indeed,' said the Patrician, turning over the page. 'It is the only logical conclusion.'
'But you get out of bed every morning, sir?'
'Hmm? Yes? What is your point?'
'I'd just like to know why, sir.'
'Oh, do go away, Vimes. There's a good fellow.'

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

71. Re: ... Feb 19, 2008, 03:46 Cutter

From The Hand of Oberon by Roger Zelazny

"There is always a reason. Whenever anything has been mucked up, whenever anything outrageous happens, there is a reason for it. You still have a mucked-up, outrageous situation on your hands, however, and explaining it does not alleviate it one bit. If someone does something really rotten, there is a reason for it. Learn it, if you care.... The fact is the thing that remains.... Acts and their consequences are the things by which our fellows judge us. Anything else, and all that you get is a cheap feeling of moral superiority by thinking how you would have done something nicer if it had been you."

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

70. Re: ... Feb 19, 2008, 03:45 Cutter

From Dragonlance: Dragons of a Summer Flame

Raistlin's gaze went to Steel. "Your sword is need elsewhere, son of Brightblade. Permit us to leave in peace." Steel could hear the truth of that statement for himself. The sounds of battle had penetrated to the depths of the tower. Raistlin strode forward, black robes whispering across the stone floor. Steel eyed him warily, drew his sword.

"I recognize that blade," Raistlin said calmly. "Your father's, isn't it? I never liked your father much. All that business about knightly honour, nobility. He made such a show of it, flaunted it, threw it in my face." Steel said nothing, but his hand gripped the sword hilt more tightly, until the knuckles were white.

Raistlin drew closer still.

"And then I discovered something very interesting about your father. He lied to us. Sturm Brightblade was no more a knight than I was. He was made a knight only shortly before his death. All that time, he wore the armor, carried the sword... and it was all a lie."

Raistlin shrugged. "And you know what? I liked him better after I discovered that."

"Because you supposed that he had sunk to your level," Steel said hoarsely. Raistlin's smile was twisted, bitter. "You would think that, wouldn't you, Brightblade? But, no, that's not the reason."

Raistlin moved closer, so close that Steel could feel the chill of the mage's frail body, could hear the breath rattle in the lungs, could feel the soft touch of black velvet.

"Your father lied to every person except one - himself. In his heart Sturm was a knight. He had better claim to that false title than many who held it for truth. Sturm Brightblade obeyed laws that no one enforced. He lived by a noble code in which no one else believed. He swore an oath that no one heard. Only himself... and his God. No one would have held him to that oath, to the Measure. He did that himself. He knew himself."

"Who are you, Steel Brightblade?" Raistlin's golden, hourglass eyes flickered. "Do you know?"

- Walter Abrams

69. Re: ... Feb 19, 2008, 03:44 Cutter

Well, Oblivion's NPCs wander about and do their own thing as well. I guess because the game is fenced in it doesn't feel like the characters are as real. It's all subjective but that's my opinion.

What CRPG doesn't do this? It doesn't matter how big the sandbox is, it's still a sandbox. It has dimension and limitations. And generally speaking, the larger the sandbox, the more diffuse and uninteresting the content. Fuck, you could wander all over the map in Fallout but how interesting was it really? Fallout wasn't a great game because you trudge through endless wasteland having meaningless mob encounters with the very random, very occasional meaningful one, it was the story and your abaility to effect different outcomes depending on the ROLE you played that made it interesting. Same as the Witcher.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the Witcher was a lot more interesting in certain respects because it doesn't try to clearly delineate right and wrong in absolutes as most RPGs do. The writing, and quests are very strong for a game in this genre. You have choices that are signifigantly more meaningful...depending on the point of view of the ROLE you are PLAYING. I've never believed in absolutes, or even morality beyond something we've created. We all have our own ideas of right and wrong, but that doesn't mean that they're right or wrong in any absolute sense of the word. All there is, are personal perspectives, and social conditioning.

I'm going to post 3 following quotes which best describe this IMO.

- Walter Abrams

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo