Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy President's Day. In our grand(ish) tradition, here's some trivia about a lesser known president, Franklin Pierce, AKA "Young Hickory of the Granite Hills." Pierce was the 14th president of the USA and the only president in history with no changes to his cabinet over the course of his term. He also had a predilection for partying, in fact his cause of death was cirrhosis of the liver caused by his drinking, and on what is likely a related note, he was arrested while in office for running over an elderly woman with his carriage (the case was dropped due to insufficient evidence). On a less grim note is Pierce's campaign slogan as the Democratic party hoped to regain the While House as they had eight years before with James Polk: "We Polked you in 1844; we shall Pierce you in 1852." They don't write 'em like that anymore.

Presidential Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: CoBaCoLi. Thanks Jay is Games.
Chain Factor.
Links of the Morning: C3PO, Indiana Jones, Clone Wars Trooper Life-Size Lego Models Are Awesomely Huge.
VideoSift = MMORPG. Apparently we're partly to blame.
Story: The Groom Wore Orange.
Science!: Planet-hunters set for big bounty.
I upgraded your RAM.
Pacman8 avatar.
Media: Michael Bay demands things to be AWESOME!
Windows Beat.
Dwight Howard is Superman!
Follow-ups: Spielberg mocked in China over Olympic pullout.
California packer makes largest U.S. beef recall.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: What a gag! Feb 19, 2008, 03:24 Cutter

I dunno what you mean by stat Holiday.

Statutory holiday. It means if you work, you get paid time and a half of your regular rate, plus have to get a day off - unpaid - on top of it.

And up untill this new holiday, which was enacted last year I believe we had the same holidays as the U.S. - less one, which I believe Family Day now puts us on par.

U.S.
-
New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day

Canada
-
New Year's Day - same
Memorial Day - Victoria Day (week before)
Independence Day - Canada Day (July 4th and 1st respectively)
Labor Day - same
Veteran's Day - Rememberence Day (Nov. 11th for both)
Thanksgiving Day - same (Nov. for you, Oct. for us)
Christmas Day - same

And you have Prez day and we now have Family day. And you forgot Easter which we both have the same.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 00:08 Beaner

yah and Fios would be awesome if it were in my neighborhood.

13. Jack in the Box Pop up. Feb 18, 2008, 20:36 Tony!!!

Anyone else getting sick of seeing the Jack in the Crack pop up EVERY DAY!

And not just every day if you come here more than once.

Just a gripe. Moving right along.....

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

12. Re: VideoSift = MMORPG Feb 18, 2008, 18:36 PHJF

Because VideoSift is exactly what it sounds like, a sifter of videos. It's a one-stop-shop for videos.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: VideoSift = MMORPG Feb 18, 2008, 17:52 Sir Graves

"VideoSift = MMORPG. Apparently we're partly to blame."

Yeah, now that you mention it, I've always wondered why the heck you link to them soooo freakin' much. Daily. And a LOT.

I mean, it's a fun time-waster of a site I guess (like so many others of its exact ilk), but I never figured out why BN decided to put it on the map SO aggressively (making them lots of daily ad money in the process I'm guessing). Why is VS the main media link of BN? You getting a piece of that pie or something, Blue? In which case I could finally understand.

10. Re: What a gag! Feb 18, 2008, 17:42 Warhawk

We get 7 holidays:

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day

Most folks here take Veteran's Day off the Day after Thanksgiving to take a 4-day weekend instead of Veteran's Day.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 17:43.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

9. Re: What a gag! Feb 18, 2008, 17:38 Enahs

I dunno what you mean by stat Holiday.

But around here state workers are off.
I was not (school or work), not that I care or am complaining.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: What a gag! Feb 18, 2008, 17:22 complicity

Family Day. Pretty lame, and most of us have to work, so it's not much of a holiday, is it?
If you're not given the day off today, it has to be made up for, since it's a stat holiday. My company gave today for Family Day here, and Presidents Day south of the border, which I understand is NOT a stat holiday in the US.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

7. What a gag! Feb 18, 2008, 15:30 Cutter

Dunno if anyone else posted this, but this practical joke the Phillies played on Kyle Kendricks was a beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKKqPOiJxI

Whilst it's President's Day in the U.S., we're having our newest stat holiday here in the Great White North...Family Day. Pretty lame, and most of us have to work, so it's not much of a holiday, is it?

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 15:01 Warhawk

Not very exciting actually....I was hoping for a dunk that would show him horizontal. oh well. It is the NBA - what can you do.

His first-round dunk was better.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

5. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 14:31 PHJF

University of Akron is so awesome we didn't have today off, but we have TOMORROW off to celebrate President's Day.

I think they stagger holidays to avoid having only Mondays off.

And following up on my Knight Rider comments... No, I didn't expect it to be "good", but it was beyond bad. It was mind-numbingly bad. In the eighties that was the goal; it was why Predator is the best movie ever made. Now it's just depressing.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 13:37 xXBatmanXx

Dwight Howard is Superman!
Not very exciting actually....I was hoping for a dunk that would show him horizontal. oh well. It is the NBA - what can you do.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

3. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 12:52 Veinman

That Michael Bay video = funny.

2. While House Feb 18, 2008, 12:39 Bludd

Ah, the While House. It is much better than the Meanwhile House.

1. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 12:39 sponge

"We Polked you in 1844; we shall Pierce you in 1852."

Not quite up there with "I like Ike" that's for sure.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo