Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Console Price war Feb 18, 2008, 02:18 kyleb

I'm not entirely convinced MS will go the add-on route.
I'm not saying they will, but they sure as hell aren't going to stop building 360's with DVD drives because moving to Blu-ray drives would considerably increase their manufacturing costs.

But can you keep calling it a cost advantage when the Blu-Ray drive is no longer a "maybe if it succeeds" kind of feature?
You can't stop calling it a cost advantage until Blu-ray drives aren't any more expensive than standard DVD drives.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Console Price war Feb 18, 2008, 01:02 sponge

But can you keep calling it a cost advantage when the Blu-Ray drive is no longer a "maybe if it succeeds" kind of feature?

That's not the kind of cost advantage that's being discussed, I don't think. Blu-Ray drives are just a lot more money than DVD drives, which puts MS at an advantage when it comes to lowering the price.

7. Re: Console Price war Feb 18, 2008, 00:37 MMORPGHoD

It's not the end of the world if the 360 needed two DVDs for a console game. The PS1 needed multiple discs for games. Personally, I find the memory issue devs are already running into with the PS3 more of a problem.

6. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 23:36 PropheT

MS may well release a Blu-ray addon for movie playback, but that is completely irrelevant to the console price war. 360s will contenue to be built using standard DVD drives, and that puts them MS at a cost advantage compared to what the cost would be to support a more advanced optical format as Sony has commited thier PS3 to.

If you're comparing apples to apples with the consoles, it's important for them both to hit a certain price point. But, it's not that scenario at all, and with Blu-Ray coming out on top in the format war there's no reason for them to be compared in the same way anymore as if the two consoles are equal...no sensible person comparing the consoles is going to dismiss the added features out of hand at this point.

The PS3 has never been just a gaming machine. $100 more for a Blu-Ray player, wi-fi built in and a guaranteed hard drive isn't a bad deal any way you cut it.

5. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 20:45 UnderLord

Well, I run Vista at home and at work and develop chip-based devices on Windows that run non-windows OS'.
Still, I wouldn't call myself an MS fan-boy or hater, but what I do hate is bodgy engineering and bad treatment of customers.
You can have a nice new Xbox, it fails and gets sent away and you get some refurbished piece of Gen' 1 crap back.
While ever MS thinks a 360 is a 360 is a 360, nobody who cares about reliabilityy and quality will be recommending them to their friends (I sure don't).
So that is why I think a new product is in order, I don't think the association of Xbox 360 and Quality is recoverable.

4. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 20:03 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm definitely no MS fan, but they have been continually upgrading the 360 and has released at least 3 different hardware configurations so far, with another one planned. I have one of the most recent ones from late October last year and it has been fine, and is quieter than the others I've played on. I don't play on it a lot really (I think my wife plays more than I do), but I haven't had any problems. I certainly wouldn't expect a new product to be released, but I do think that they'll keep improving the hardware with each new revision.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 19:01 UnderLord

I'm not entirely convinced MS will go the add-on route.
Their repair and return to the channel strategy has done a great deal of damage to the product image amongst the savvy, and everyone knows someone like that to ask advice from.
The best thing would be to release a new Xbox, that is fully compatible with the 360, using new technology chips, better engineering and a built-in HD drive, now that there is a clear winner and the market is expected to take off.
Unusually short for a product generation, but then it's just a hardware version of a service pack, MS knows all about them!

2. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 17:44 kyleb

MS may well release a Blu-ray addon for movie playback, but that is completely irrelevant to the console price war. 360s will contenue to be built using standard DVD drives, and that puts them MS at a cost advantage compared to what the cost would be to support a more advanced optical format as Sony has commited thier PS3 to.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 17:45.

1. Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 17:09 UnderLord

"Sony are at a huge cost disadvantage with their Blu Ray drive in the PS3 compared with the much cheaper DVD in the Microsoft Xbox 360."
It's a bit much comparing a HD solution to the old DVD standard, and where will Microsoft get new HD-DVD drives now that they won't be getting them from Toshiba?
Not much doubt in my mind that MS will announce a changeover to Blu-ray within a month or two.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo