Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HD Format War Ends

It has been all over but the shouting for a while now, and Toshiba to exit HD DVD, end format war-NHK announces that shouting, saying NHK reports that Toshiba is exiting the HD DVD scene, ceding the market for disc-based high definition content to Sony's Blu-Ray. Word is the losses Toshiba will suffer will amount to tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars), and that while Toshiba will continue selling existing hardware, they will not be developing any new HD DVD new devices.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 15:23 Alak

I accually like the add-on drive alot, since I can use it for both the 360 and computer PC/Mac.

I mean, its not like people will have lost money by investing in HD-DVD. It doesnt mean your player will just stop working when they stop making it. Which would suck if it did. It would be interesting to see if Toshiba holds out on HD-DVD and continues to develop it, returning at the proper time for this 'war'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 11:54 Tumbler

Microsoft will likely not bring out another HD format player for the 360. If it does, it will most likely be an add on like the current setup.

I am hoping for a Blu-Ray add on drive because I want to be able to rip both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies to my PC.

I am really happy with the hd-dvd drive to be honest, the movies are cheap now and getting cheaper and I can export the movies onto my PC and use them however I like.

I don't see myself spending more than $200 for Blu-Ray drive, if they never offer an add on drive for the 360 I'll probably just stick with dvd and renting HD movies via the 360.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

30. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 11:48 Tumbler

dbl post

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 11:56.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Its finally over... Feb 18, 2008, 11:44 kimbambaman

Well I'm glad its over at least. Does the BR allow picture in picture like HD-DVD does? I always thought video commentaries were a neat feature.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

28. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 11:24 kanniballl

I forsee ramped prices for BR format players and Disc's now that sony has no competition.

More Sony hate speech.BluRay isn't just Sony; other companies were involved with it, and other companies sell plays.

Besides I can't see them (collectively) raising prices much. The players are still quite expensive and the movies are still horribly priced in my opinion. I'll buy maybe 2 or 3 BluRay movies this year, and rely on NetFlix for the rest.

However I admit that without HD-DVD there is incentive to lower prices. They can take their time with that now.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 11:35.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 10:00 nin

Triple layer HDDVDs would have offered 51gb space (17gb per layer instead of the default 15gb using a slightly newer design) but this is a thing of the past now...

http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/19/tdk-announces-100gb-blu-ray-disc/

edit: and that was 2005...

edit again: Here's a 200GB disc... http://www.betanews.com/article/TDK_Develops_200GB_Bluray_Disc/1157125164

And download will work great, until everyone wants to download. Then it's going to be slooooow and your ISP will want to slap a cap on every customer...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 10:01.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 05:49 vacs

25 gig HD DVD limit is not entirely correct. It was 30 gigs for dual layer, and there were plans to do triple layer to go 45 gig at some point in future.

Triple layer HDDVDs would have offered 51gb space (17gb per layer instead of the default 15gb using a slightly newer design) but this is a thing of the past now...

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 06:25.

25. Re: No subject Feb 18, 2008, 04:41 Cutter

When prices for players come down to $200 or less I'll get one, but they're still insanely overpriced atm. The discs aren't cheap either.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 04:20 Dev

CreamyBlood:
25 gig HD DVD limit is not entirely correct. It was 30 gigs for dual layer, and there were plans to do triple layer to go 45 gig at some point in future.

I'm glad one finally won out, but I wish it wasn't Sony's. They will pull all sorts of things once they are the sole dictator of the format. Remember, they are also a movie studio, unlike toshiba.

I think toshiba shoulda tried MUCH harder to join in with sony at the begining when they talked a little about joining forces. We would have seen many times more sales than the puny amounts of HD DVD and blu ray movies that have sold to date.

Just a few thoughts.

23. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 02:39 Ahnteis

>BluRay has a slightly higher bitrate then HD-DVD

BluRay doesn't even have a bitrate. It does support a higher bitrate because it has a higher capacity, but bitrate depends on the movie.

BluRay does not have managed copy, was not (is not?) finalized, and the only real "feature" that it has is additional DRM support.

22. No subject Feb 18, 2008, 00:47 Alak

Microsoft will likely not bring out another HD format player for the 360. If it does, it will most likely be an add on like the current setup.

The Future is downloadable content, and movies on demand. I for one, use this method of viewing far more than going to the video store, or accually buying movies.

21. Re: Woohoo Feb 18, 2008, 00:24 MMORPGHoD

I'm still perfectly happy with DVD

Yup, same here. No reason to think about it until I get a HDTV. I think Sony will find DVD to be a much more formidable foe with it likely being years before DVD is retired, not to mention more and more people are using 'on demand' downloading of movies to their set top boxes instead.

I'm just glad all the BS is over with so people can see how small of a percentage HD anything still is..

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 00:24.

20. Re: Woohoo Feb 17, 2008, 23:43 John

So I take it Microsoft will update its game console now(?)

Why? It's games are on regular DVDs.

This space is available for rent

19. No subject Feb 17, 2008, 22:07 Alak

I just cant wait for the HD-DVD blow out sale. 2 for $10.

But I dont care what format won, Im still not paying $35 for a f-ing DVD of any format, let alone hundreds on a player. I forsee ramped prices for BR format players and Disc's now that sony has no competition.

Im just glad I never payed a dime for any of my HD format stuff.

18. Re: Woohoo Feb 17, 2008, 22:00 Joss

So I take it Microsoft will update its game console now(?)

17. Re: Woohoo Feb 17, 2008, 21:22 CreamyBlood

From a computing standpoint, I don't understand why anyone thought that getting locked into 25GB vs 50GB was a good thing.

I have no idea which is better from a movie viewing standpoint but I'm glad the one with double the data capacity won.

16. Re: Bah Feb 17, 2008, 21:14 Fibrocyte

What about HD-DVD do you believe to be superior then?

He already answered this in his original post.

15. Re: Woohoo Feb 17, 2008, 21:07 wtf_man

I still prefer the '82 theatrical release, however I understand I'm in the minority here.

Actually, that's my favorite version too. Harrison Ford's narration ties the story together better, IMO. As for the Happy ending sequence... I have no opinion other than at least it's an ending.

Guess I'll join you in that minority.

14. Re: Woohoo Feb 17, 2008, 20:23 RCH

I too very much enjoyed BR on BD. I still prefer the '82 theatrical release, however I understand I'm in the minority here.

Now that the format war appears over, I'm looking forward to more content.

Hopefully a Universal and/or Paramount announcement next?

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

13. go time Feb 17, 2008, 20:19 Elricsi

Okay, now I'll go get my HD DVD player.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo