Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday dad! Nah, he doesn't actually read this site, but this can serve as a reminder to give him call later.

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Lost - Nickname Generator. Thanks LoonyBomber.
Stories: How deep is your love? Passion phones know.
Model police officer arrested for extortion.
Science!: First order for pet dog cloning.
Auction: Rare Atari Game For Sale, Got Half A Mil Handy?
Media: Break Dancing Moron.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: No subject Feb 17, 2008, 02:01 Ant

Blue, has your dad even read this site? If so, then what did he say?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 17, 2008, 01:07 Krovven

Because it is artificially outputting the sound on those channels. Inherently there is no sound there.

I know...works that way with everything else Stereo...but not the PS3, was my point.

I haven't found any options to fix it yet.

I tried playing music with Super Stardust HD's Soundtrack option and the mp3s seem to sound fine when played from there.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, Company of Heroes, Crysis

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

29. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 Enahs

In 5.1 mode, mp3s or cd's played from WMP on my PC, music plays from all speakers just fine and always has. So what are you talking about?

Because it is artificially outputting the sound on those channels. Inherently there is no sound there.

And yes it sound better coming out of nearly all speakers. It is probably some option you have to turn on in the PS3, or force your surround sound system to do it (as it should be able to do it).

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

28. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 16, 2008, 03:58 Krovven

Unless the PS3 is the most retarded thing ever conceived, there shouldn't be a damn thing coming out of any of the other speakers.

In 5.1 mode, mp3s or cd's played from WMP on my PC, music plays from all speakers just fine and always has. So what are you talking about?

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

27. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 16, 2008, 02:49 PHJF

Uhhh music should be in 2.1 using FR/FL/Sub only. Unless the PS3 is the most retarded thing ever conceived, there shouldn't be a damn thing coming out of any of the other speakers.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 22:41 Enahs

Sounds more like the PS3 is not really outputting 5.1 in the music. Check the configs and such for something possibly called virtulization, etc.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

25. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 21:30 Krovven

Well, the Music playback levels for the center and rear speakers seems to be really bad. The reason it sounded so horrible was because it was really pushing a lot of the sound just through the center channel and overpowering the others.

I had to turn the center channel down on the Logitech CP to 1 (out of 10) to be able to turn up the volume and hear the other speakers. Then I find that the sound is way to high for the rear channels over the front channels, so I turn down the rear speakers to about a 3 to compensate.

Yet I use the same level settings for my PC, Blu-Ray movies, DVDs, Video clips and PS3 Games. So the PS3 Music function is getting a big thumbs down from me.

24. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 20:53 Krovven

I have the Logtech Z-680 5.1 sound system. http://tinyurl.com/28njv8

So I've got the PS3 running into the Optical and the PC running into "6-channel direct (3 stereo minijack .125-inch connectors)". You have to switch Inputs on the Logitech CP depending on which you want to use. You can't have both running simultaneously.

Correction...you can back out to the Home menu, but when you enter a game the music shuts off. Making playing a game, with my own selected soundtrack playing in the background, impossible on the PS3 (something I always do gaming on the PC).

Another note: I'll update on this in a bit, since now I'm playing with the functions. The sound quality of the mp3's sucks compared to the same song played from my PC over the same audio system. But I'm going to check the Music settings for the system as I haven't before.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 21:00.

23. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 19:07 The Half Elf

Gotta agree (this time you BASTARD) with Dagok. The PS3 is a AWESOME DVD/Blu-Ray player hands down. And if you have a awesome home theater/sound system then you'll be in great shape.

But no it cannot play Dead Rising.

*insert Nelson's point and HA-HA here*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 18:13 xXBatmanXx

Because I have my PC hooked up through the same sound system I can't run the music from my PC and have sound on the PS3 at the same time.

I run my 360 and PC on the same setup, and I receive sound through my pc......play music, switch over and chat with friends in xfire, etc etc etc. ?????

Or are you saying having the PS3 PLAY the music, AND play a game?

Since you have them both right there, why not just use the pc for the playlist?

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 18:14.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 17:29 Krovven

I'll just add to that by saying I love being able to stream all my music from the Mac in my office to the PS3 in my family room where it benefits from the better sound system.

It annoys the crap outta me though that I cannot play music on the PS3 and play a game at the same time.

Because I have my PC hooked up through the same sound system I can't run the music from my PC and have sound on the PS3 at the same time.

I've heard rumblings that playing music in the background while playing a game may be possible with the future OS updates...but I'm not holding my breath.

20. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 16:52 JM

Would it be crazy to use it just as a BD/DVD player?

It depends on how early you want to start enjoying HD movies. You can spend $400 now and get a machine that plays BD movies, upconverts reg. DVD's to near-HD quality, and get a PS3 to boot.

I'll just add to that by saying I love being able to stream all my music from the Mac in my office to the PS3 in my family room where it benefits from the better sound system.

19. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 16:25 banddirector

It depends on how early you want to start enjoying HD movies. You can spend $400 now and get a machine that plays BD movies, upconverts reg. DVD's to near-HD quality, and get a PS3 to boot. Or, you can wait until summer, when the newer, 2.0 compliant BD players come out, and chances are there will be a player that's at least a hundred bucks cheaper. Is 100 clams (maybe even a little more) worth it? It's up to you.

As for me, I scored a cheap HD-DVD player add-on for my 360. Yeah, I know the format's a goner, but I also got several HD-DVDs of movies that I like and tend to watch periodically, so I'm happy for now. But this summer, as soon as the "new wave" of cheaper BD players come out, I'm going that route ....

Edit: damn you Dagok you beat me to the punch ...

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...
This comment was edited on Feb 15, 16:26.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

18. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 16:19 Krovven

At $400 yea probably. But I'm guessing you'd end up playing some PS3 games anyways.

BTW the upconvert for DVD's is top notch on the PS3.

17. No subject Feb 15, 2008, 16:19 xXBatmanXx

Well, it just shows that there was insider information about the HD/BluRay stuff - since MSFT dropped their HD DVD players price a few weeks ago....heh.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

16. No subject Feb 15, 2008, 16:05 strich

I'm picking up a PS3 today on the way home. With the HD market collapsing so suddenly, i've gotten myself hooked on high def movies. and the player's getting really good reviews, so i know it'll be the best choice.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqkCxV8SkI

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

15. Re: Wal-Mart drops HD-DVD Feb 15, 2008, 16:03 Capella

Is it time to buy a PS3? Since I have a HDMI port on my TV sitting idle and the PS3 upconverts regular DVDs I might just get one.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

14. Re: Sony unveils PS3's PlayTV to BBC Feb 15, 2008, 15:43 xXBatmanXx

Can it play Dead Rising?

As soon as I posted I realized that I left myself open for such an attack.

Actually, I was expecting the "except play games" line.

heheheh sorry, couldn't resist. I was trying to be gentle.

/edit: I just realized I am turning into a console snob.....what a jerk I am.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 16:03.

13. Re: Sony unveils PS3's PlayTV to BBC Feb 15, 2008, 15:30 JM

Can it play Dead Rising?

As soon as I posted I realized that I left myself open for such an attack.

Actually, I was expecting the "except play games" line.

12. Re: Sony unveils PS3's PlayTV to BBC Feb 15, 2008, 15:28 xXBatmanXx

So they want your PS3 to be a tivo?

There is nothing the PS3 can't do!

Can it play Dead Rising?

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo