Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Update Tomorrow

Valve announces a free Team Fortress 2 update is coming tomorrow via Steam as a Valentine's Day gift to all owners of the multiplayer shooter. The patch notes are here, and here's the press release:

Free Team Fortress 2 Update Coming Thursday

Tomorrow at 11 am PST all PC versions of Team Fortress 2, the class-based multiplayer action game named PC Game of the Year by Gamespy.com, will receive its largest update since the product was first made available on October 10, 2007, as part of Valve's best-selling Orange Box compilation.

The free update includes global optimizations for networking, graphics, and player statistics, plus improvements to Source TV for tournament viewing.

In addition, three of the currently available maps (Dustbowl, Granary, CTF_Well) have been iterated for enhanced performance and gameplay.

The release is headlined by the introduction of "Badlands," a new map that pushes control-point gameplay onto vertical landscapes.

Available free to all Team Fortress 2 PC gamers around the world automatically via Steam, there are too many features and improvements included in this update to list here. To view the full release notes and/or find out more about Team Fortress 2, please visit www.steamgames.com.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. cronik Feb 14, 2008, 06:04 Zephalephelah

Runs pretty decently with my HD3850, for those with anything less i suggest you go get a real videocard!

LOL!!! You're so important now because you have a nice video card. HAHAHAH!!! You're so important now. LOLOOLLLOLOL!!! Man you sure are important now... HAHAHAHA!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. No subject Feb 14, 2008, 04:48 KilrathiAce

HELL YEA cant wait for this update baby.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

23. Re: Anyone? Feb 14, 2008, 04:06 Prez

Curiously, the errors I was getting playing TF2 were somehow attached to AVG anti-virus. I uninstalled the program and it worked flawlessly. I downloaded and installed Alwil Antivirus, and it still works okay. I guess this what comes of using free software!

Still, AVG is incredible considering it's free.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Anyone? Feb 14, 2008, 02:01 Wowbagger_TIP

That's why I was asking if anyone knows any TF2 maps that are simple CTF maps like 2_Fort.
I think there's one called something like Snow Fort. It's got a snow theme to it and is a pretty simple CTF map and pretty fun.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

21. More nerfing and consolifiynig Feb 14, 2008, 01:05 mOOzilla

What are they nerfing now?

Google + YouTube search keywords: "Team Fortress 2" exploit

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

20. Re: Source Engine Tweaks Feb 14, 2008, 01:04 Zoomboy27

I've been trying for the last month to get TF2 to run - there's a memory paging error that prevents me from playing. Seen a 100 page message on the technical support pages Apparently you have to turn off your anti-virus programs or fire-walls.
Hope to see soemthing about that
- until then QW:ET and UT3

19. Re: Anyone? Feb 13, 2008, 23:40 heroin

Yeah, so I don't care if you think 2 fort is boring. I think the rest of the maps are boring and 2_Fort is actually designed simple enough to be strategic... sometimes. That's why I was asking if anyone knows any TF2 maps that are simple CTF maps like 2_Fort.

I used to play the original TF when it came out for Quake. I have the fondest memories of multiplayer Quake than I do of any multiplayer game...ever. CTF with the grappling hook was amazing. But I wasn't trying to be nerdy and compare. oh well - TF2 could be good they just need better CTF maps. Where can I get em?

18. Source Engine Tweaks Feb 13, 2008, 22:53 Sacrifice

For those having performance issues, you may want to read through this tweaking guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

17. Re: Anyone? Feb 13, 2008, 22:34 Slink

Considering I don't agree with the much of the changes they made, I'd say they aren't anymore.

Just because you don't agree with the changes OBVIOUSLY means the changes were for the bad, and thus the developers that made said changes.

- - - - - - - - - -
WoW = Waiting on Warhammer.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

16. Re: wow... Feb 13, 2008, 20:55 human

When you get to the point where you insist that the people who actually made Team Fortress and are developing and updating TF2 are not 'REAL' players anymore, you've pretty gone off the deep end. THX4PLAYING SPONGE BAI

15. wow... Feb 13, 2008, 20:32 Wowbagger_TIP

Not sure why so many people are pissed about this game. I guess they could still play old TF if they want. Kinda reminds me of CS players who have latched onto specific versions of the game, often even beta versions, and insist that anything else is not true Counter-Strike.

I think they did an amazing job and created a really fun game. It's not the old TF, and that's fine. It's still a great game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. No subject Feb 13, 2008, 20:28 D4rkKnight

It certainly requires a lot more power then normal HL2 and Counterstrike: Source. My laptop runs both of those fine on high settings, but switching to TF2 it can barely handle it on low 800x600.

Granted its a HD2300 video card, not very good, but goes to show TF2 does require more then the other official source games.

13. No subject Feb 13, 2008, 20:17 cronik

Runs pretty decently with my HD3850, for those with anything less i suggest you go get a real videocard!

12. Re: Anyone? Feb 13, 2008, 20:12 sponge

As a matter of fact, the Valve TF2 developers are not fond at all of 2Fort. It's up to you whether the TF2 developers fit your definition of 'REAL Team Fortress players'.

I personally also avoid 2Fort like the plague.

Considering I don't agree with the much of the changes they made, I'd say they aren't anymore.

11. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2008, 20:10 AcidDrone

runs pretty crap for my housemate too, 7800gt

10. No subject Feb 13, 2008, 20:07 xXBatmanXx

2fort = campfest.

BOOOOOORING!

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2008, 20:01 Thermopyle

Ya Xero... I gotta disagree with you too ...

I personally don't play it on an aging rig, but my buddys is comparable to yours and he owns. he has no problems at all.

8. Re: Anyone? Feb 13, 2008, 19:57 human

By who? TF2 players, or players of REAL Team Fortress games?

As a matter of fact, the Valve TF2 developers are not fond at all of 2Fort. It's up to you whether the TF2 developers fit your definition of 'REAL Team Fortress players'.

I personally also avoid 2Fort like the plague.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 20:02.

7. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2008, 19:52 xXBatmanXx

Is this the patch that makes the game run? This game is so damn laggy, the performance is disgusting. I know my rig is showing some signs of it's age, but cmon now, I didn't think a game that was optimized to run on a 9800XT would have troubles today running on my 6800GT.

ummm, something tells me you probably need a format and re-install.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. No subject Feb 13, 2008, 19:51 Xero

Is this the patch that makes the game run? This game is so damn laggy, the performance is disgusting. I know my rig is showing some signs of it's age, but cmon now, I didn't think a game that was optimized to run on a 9800XT would have troubles today running on my 6800GT.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 19:51.

Currently playing: Skyrim

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo