Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA/AGEIA Q&A

The NVIDIA AGEIA PhysX Acquisition Q&A on FiringSquad talks with NVIDIA's Derek Perez about the acquisition of AGEIA, a fellow all-caps hardware company. He uses the same "heterogeneous computing model" phrase used yesterday to announce the move (story), an interesting take, since it sounds like they plan to homogenize AGEIA's PPU onto their GPUs, saying "Physics is a natural for processing on the GPU." As for existing stand-alone PhysX cards, he says: "We will continue to support the current line of Ageia products that are on the market today."

View
16. Re: I wanna get Feb 6, 2008, 04:03 PHJF

Physics are the same way. Games have had to avoid many aspects of physics due to their complexity and inability to process in a real time game. True geometric shattering, fluid dynamics, accurate deformation of models, and countless other aspects of physics remain untouched due to the complexity of modelling them in real time. CPU's are not up to the task of all that. The only thing that keeps current CPUs ability to handle it is by developers careful use of only specific aspects of physics. We've only scratched the surface of physics in games. More realistic collision responses by material types, vehicles, various joint types are but a small portion of what can be done with physics. Even within those domains the implementations in games is simplified quite a bit.

You just proved my point. Physics in games equates to basic acceleration do to gravity, minor implementations of friction, and "ragdoll" effects. At the rate at which physics in games is evolving (read: not really evolving) it will be a lllooonnngggg time before substantial, realistic physics implementations are in place.

Of course that could just be because physics in games is relatively new and has yet to really mature. Obviously graphics in games have been able to do that since the days of Zork.

But I still don't foresee a physics implementation with enough muscle to require anything more than maybe another expendable core on my CPU.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 5, 10:33 As for existing stand-alone PhysX cards MMORPGHoD
  3. Feb 5, 12:37  Re: As for existing stand-alone PhysX ca  famished 
  4. Feb 5, 13:36  Re: As for existing stand-alone PhysX ca kimbambaman
  18. Feb 6, 09:56   Re: As for existing stand-alone PhysX ca shul
  22. Feb 13, 09:09    Re: As for existing stand-alone PhysX ca kimbambaman
  24. Feb 14, 08:16     Re: As for existing stand-alone PhysX ca shul
  2. Feb 5, 12:35 Derek Perez.... Toebot
  5. Feb 5, 13:59 No subject necrosis
  6. Feb 5, 14:33  Re: No subject MuzixMon