Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA

NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA Technologies reports the rumored takeover of the PhysX physics card creator will indeed happen, and that graphics giant NVIDIA is the suitor. Details of the deal, which is still subject to "customary closing conditions," are not revealed. Word is: "More details about the acquisition will be provided during NVIDIA's quarterly conference call, to be held on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Pacific Time."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Entr0py24 Feb 5, 2008, 17:13 noctroglyph

Not really. What WILL happen is the APIs will address hardware through some sort of HAL which will translate the desired effects into Intel, NVIDIA/Ageia, or AMD/ATI PPU code. Just like OpenGL and DirectX does it now.

This is only relevant to NV's desire to compete against Intel's pending multi-core Larabee in the GPGPU market (which is where CPUs/GPUs/PPUs are all headed anyway).

My $0.02 are on the green guys making a bid for a processor vendor soon. My bets are on VIA.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 17:16.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. No subject Feb 5, 2008, 04:03 KilrathiAce

I knew about this over 2 weeks ago.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Doesn't matter Feb 5, 2008, 02:11 UnderLord

If Microsoft comes out with a completely different physics API in DirectX, the card makers will have to comply or not compete.
Then Havok and Aegeia etc are all as doomed as glide and hardware curved-surface rendering on the Nvidia NV1 was.

Also, I wonder what this does to Nvidias' GeForce 9 'Quantum Effects' engine work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series

And lastly, external power-supply bricks universally suck!
That's why you don't get dinky little hifi's,VCRs and DVD players with damned nuisance bricks to hide against the wall.
Why the big console companies imagine that they will ever make it into the living roon as a media centre with non-stackable hot-running box with a lump in a wire to hide somewhere, I can't imagine.

16. No subject Feb 5, 2008, 00:39 Entr0py24

Personally I don't think this move is about making games better, or even giving gamers something they want. Rather it's an attempt by Nvidia to dupe publishers into creating games that are totally incompatible with ATI hardware. They'll hype it to hell, and claim that it truly adds something valuable. But the ultimate goal is to create incompatibility and propriety in order to monopolize the market.

Lets just hope gamers speak out when publishers start making deals to produce "Nvidia exclusive" PC games.

15. Re: WaltC Feb 4, 2008, 22:36 Jerykk

Heat was diminished, the system PSU didn't have to be that high as it is now etc. etc. but nope, that tech is gone for some reason.

Heat was diminished? How does having an external PSU diminish the heat produced by a videocard's GPU core, RAM and MOSFETs? The card is still using the same amount of power, only the source is different.

14. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 20:37 wtf_man

Oh boy. More physics in games. Once video games look just like and physically model the real world, the only things left will be for devs to figure out how to make games fun and engaging.

LOL! Amen, brotha!

13. ... Feb 4, 2008, 20:35 theyarecomingforyou

I dunno, Direct X needs to support/do all the physics, then there should be a hardware/software solutions after than that DX can call to. Otherwise we are back at the voodoo, matrox era of one game works on this product, another on that product.
Exactly. UT was the only game of note that supported my S3 card with texture compression... buying a card simply for one game (no matter how big) just isn't worth it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: hehe Feb 4, 2008, 19:40 MMORPGHoD

Whatever the result, it isn't remotely comparable to the AMD/Ati merger. The two purchases aren't in the same league, much less ballpark....

Yeah, you got that right. The AMD/ATI is in the loser ballbark. It was an idiotic move by AMD to pay that much for a company that we have yet to see any tangible value from. It has distracted AMD and I believe it has also hurt ATI with the inevitable consolidation the follows.

The size of the aquisition doesn't mean shit it it ends up hurting more than it helps. HP-Compaq was a big merger, but it doesn't mean it was a good merger.. for the companies.. or the end user. At least with NVIDIA/AGEIA, they [NVIDIA] aren't overstretching their resources to do it and it makes for a better fit. That's what I mean by a better result.

11. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 19:21 Fion

It's about time. PhysX cards on their own are nearly useless in almost every game that supports it. But an Nvidia card with a build in PhysX processor is a huge boon. Game companies that make their games with Nvidia in mind (or funded by them) can add that engine right into their games.

Now if only they'd release a card with that built on by May. Cause thats when I'm building my 'monster machine' lol.

That and for the love of god can ASUS make a high end board for AMD chips that uses Nvidia 790i and SLI capability? Ever since AMD bought ATI all the high end AMD boards use ATI cores and Crossfire. I want to support my favorite processor company but I refuse to use ATI cards, I've had far to many bad experiences with them over the years. So if a solid company like ASUS doesn't release an AMD Phenom board with Nvidia 780i and SLI, I'll have to go Intel.

10. WaltC Feb 4, 2008, 19:15 Surf

Very true! nvidia still hasn't found a way to put the PSU for a video card OUTSIDE THE BOX as Voodoo did with their last Voodoo 3 card. It was a stellar idea, plug an ac adaptor into the front of the video card, and that into your PSU or power strip.

Heat was diminished, the system PSU didn't have to be that high as it is now etc. etc. but nope, that tech is gone for some reason.

I dunno, Direct X needs to support/do all the physics, then there should be a hardware/software solutions after than that DX can call to. Otherwise we are back at the voodoo, matrox era of one game works on this product, another on that product.

What a mess.

9. No subject Feb 4, 2008, 19:14 Wilson

Oh boy. More physics in games. Once video games look just like and physically model the real world, the only things left will be for devs to figure out how to make games fun and engaging.

8. Re: hehe Feb 4, 2008, 19:00 WaltC

Should be a better result than the AMD/ATi aquisition.

Whatever the result, it isn't remotely comparable to the AMD/Ati merger. The two purchases aren't in the same league, much less ballpark....;)

My guess is that nVidia found it cheaper to buy the down and out company as opposed to being forced to license things from them at a premium later on. This could well wind up producing no products at all related to those that AGEIA tried unsuccessfully to bring to market. We'll see. After buying 3dfx nVidia scrapped everything the company had in development.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

7. ... Feb 4, 2008, 18:42 theyarecomingforyou

Well, this is good news for physics in games. Finally we'll get a wider implementation of this.
I'm not sure this helps us much. If nVidia is the only company with physics built in then developers still can't make proper use of physics. The only benefit will be if nVidia licences the technology to ATi and they both implement it. Also, this will bump up the price of graphics cards and give them more to render... that means we'd see a move backwards in terms of performance but with the addition of more complex physics.

NEway, this has got to be better than the company going broke and the technology never being widely used. I just hope we'll see results from this within 6 months... I don't want to be waiting around years for this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

6. Re: hehe Feb 4, 2008, 18:36 Tony!!!

Well, this is good news for physics in games. Finally we'll get a wider implementation of this.  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

5. Re: nvidia+ ageia Feb 4, 2008, 18:34 Toebot

Yeah, that took allot longer than expected. Nvidia must have been waiting for the value to drop.

4. Re: hehe Feb 4, 2008, 18:28 MMORPGHoD

Hmm.. interesting move. Should be a better result than the AMD/ATi aquisition.

3. nvidia+ ageia Feb 4, 2008, 18:26 LazyCat

Friggin finally!
I mean this was a no brainer!

As for ati/amd they are working on a combined graphics and cpu combo - APU should be interesting as well.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 18:28.

2. Re: hehe Feb 4, 2008, 18:22 AcidDrone

at least if ageia is on the same card as a decent nvidia card ppl might use it.

1. hehe Feb 4, 2008, 18:02 vacs

Intel bought Havok, nvidia buys Ageia and no physics engine is anymore left for ATI/AMD to integrate into their chipsets...

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo