Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New American McGee Game Unveiled

American McGee’s Blog reveals plans for a second game project in the works at the developer's China-based Spicy Horse Games (thanks Gamasutra). Details are scant, with the former id designer saying the unnamed game is not yet in preproduction, but he is putting out the call for developers for the project, which is described as a "UE3 based, big publisher, multi-platform, twisted tale project, saying it will appeal to the same sensibilities as Alice and the upcoming Grimm. As for Grimm, he also mentions they are halfway through development, having completed 12 of the game's planned 24 episodes.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. I just wish... Feb 5, 2008, 02:00 Dreagon

...they would announce games when they are six months from completion, as opposed to six months before they even start working on the game.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. With any luck... Feb 4, 2008, 21:28 UnderLord

Maybe the un-named game is the return of "American McGee's Oz", well I can dream can't I?
'Alice' was a brilliant storyline and about as good as the technology of the day could manage.
(Though we haven't got much closer to rendering curved surfaces, it just looks like we have.
It's about time we had video cards that can do proper curved surfaces, like the 'good old NV1' relatively speaking, funny to think we went backwards to where we are today.
Guess who is to blame for that... http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nvidiahistory/page2.asp )
This comment was edited on Feb 4, 22:17.

19. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 19:06 Cutter

Does he have any original ideas of his own?

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 17:47 Krovven

critically ill-received games in years in comparison to a game which was extensively over-hyped.

Had never even heard of it until today. That's how hyped it was...

Oh well, commence ragging on a guy for 1 bad game that most people probably never even heard of before.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, COmpany of Heroes, Team Fortress 2

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

17. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 17:27 zirik

Scrapland had lackluster reviews and sales which were disastrously lower than projected; game was generally completely overlooked.

yeah i would agree. scrapland went straight to the bargain bin at retail outlets. i never liked any of mcgee's games. they are full of repeat actions similar to doom and quake. investors need to do more research on the guy before dumping money on his lap. the only thing marketable about him is his unique name.

16. No subject Feb 4, 2008, 17:13 dryden555

i suspect he has enough $$ from his Doom days and doesnt need to do more than "produce" games nowadays. I wouldnt expect much from this game.

15. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 17:03 JohnBirshire

and JohnBirshire's comment

To back up my comment, I was trying to put the "beginning" of American's career in retrospect with the last couple years of his career.

Beginning: Doom 1, 2; Quake 1, 2; Alice

Last few years: Scrapland, Bad Day L.A.

Scrapland had lackluster reviews and sales which were disastrously lower than projected; game was generally completely overlooked. Bad Day L.A. was one of the most critically ill-received games in years in comparison to a game which was extensively over-hyped. Such was the case that American McGee actually went from articles praising his genius... to press noting the dramatic shift his prestige seems to have taken.

When Alice came out, American was the source of dozens of gaming publications, front covers of magazines, etc. Over the last couple of years, he has hardly been seen or mentioned...especially in comparison to a few years earlier. Yes, I would summarize that as "catastrophic". Do I think it's the end? Of course not, American is young, and a genius. He's barely gotten started. But I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the last couple years.

If you think my comment is unwarranted, I apologize, because it wasn't.

edited to add quote to make it clear which comment I was responding to

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 17:12.

14. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2008, 17:02 Nighthawk

How about this, can anyone list ANY games developed in China, rather than assuming anything there is crap?

That's like saying has there been any BAD games ever developed in Croatia.
To make the comparison, you need details, other than Serious Sam, I don't know anything else producted there, as for China, we'll discount anything with the Nintendo brand, just to start with a clean slate.

13. No subject Feb 4, 2008, 16:38 Entr0py24

Perhaps a better question is has the EVER been a good PC game developed in China? McGee is just one man, even if he has some skill as an artistic director, he's just one part of a large team.

Of course I hope they prove me wrong.

12. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 16:37 Krovven

That still doesn't explain the inaccurate and melodramatic comment from Surf
"This guy is cursed. All games he touches turn to dog shit."

and JohnBirshire's comment, "over the last couple of years his "projects" have been catastrophes"

Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, COmpany of Heroes, Team Fortress 2

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

11. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 16:11 Elf Shot The Food

"Both Bad Day LA and Scrapland just had his name slapped on them at a Producer level"

The credits for Bad Day LA list him as "creative director" too.

10. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 15:50 Krovven

Both Bad Day LA and Scrapland just had his name slapped on them at a Producer level. They aren't his games.

Equivalent to "Quentin Tarantino Presents" on the indie movies he releases.

Even so, it's 1 bad game. Not really something you can judge his talents on.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 15:51.

9. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 15:34 MMORPGHoD

American McGee presents: Bad Day L.A.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927569.asp?q=Bad%20Day%20L.A.

33%, now that's craptastic.

Scrapland got a 74%, which is not bad I guess. Alice is the only game of McGee's that I've played and it was good (82% on gamerankings).

8. Re: American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 15:10 Krovven

Surf and JohnBirshire...

Care you to explain what games you are referring to?

While I never played it, Scrapland was apparently pretty good...and he wasn't involved with development other than being an adviser, from my understanding.

Alice was awesome...and Grimm looks cool.

So what games were 'turned to shit' and were 'catastrophies'?

7. Re: Oh god Feb 4, 2008, 13:23 Elf Shot The Food

"How was the other game he 'presented' the Robots one?"

Scrapland was pretty good. He had nothing to do with the development of it though.

6. Oh god Feb 4, 2008, 13:20 Surf

This guy is cursed. All games he touches turn to dog shit.

5. Re: Hmmm Feb 4, 2008, 12:00 The Half Elf

How was the other game he 'presented' the Robots one?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Hmmm Feb 4, 2008, 11:45 Bet

Is there any truth to the idea that id failed to utilize McGee to his abilities at id or is it that he has gained in skill set since then?

We might find out more when the Grimm episodes start being released.

3. American McGee... Feb 4, 2008, 11:27 JohnBirshire

His name used to mean something, but over the last couple of years his "projects" have been catastrophes, with lackluster reviews and poor sales.

Hopefully he turns this around by being more conservative with what he attaches his interest to.

2. Re: Hmmm Feb 4, 2008, 11:24 Elf Shot The Food

"he has gained in skill set since then?"

I'm guessing you haven't played American McGee Presents American McGee's Bad Day LA?

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo