Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age by End of March '09

GameSpot digs another tidbit out of EA's latest earnings announcement, pointing out that a release of Dragon Age is predicted for EA's coming fiscal year, meaning BioWare's fantasy RPG is expected sometime between the beginning of April 2008 and the end of March 2009. They also highlight a comment by EA CEO John Riccitello, who told analysts "another game based on Peter Jackson's interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy world is en route" set for release sometime in EA's 2009 fiscal year.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. No subject Feb 3, 2008, 06:08 Eldaron Imotholin

This or that, it's still scary that we hardly have any screenshot or trailers.. although the game is almost....

FUCK! It's march 2009!! I read 2008. I found that out while I typed this. Jesus christ another freckin' year. Why not just shut up and see "when it's done"... *sigh*

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 06:09.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 3, 2008, 02:08 Decoy

1. And you can definitively show that it was delayed for PC specifically to work on the console port because that's what you seem to be saying? The release for two games was about a year apart. Strange that they'd delay a PC release, and then wait a year to release the console port for which it had been delayed.

2. Shazam. Here's a few others since you don't seem particularly convinced: Black and White 1/2, the "Battlefield" series (1942, 2142 and expansions, as I think #2 was ported in some form), SimCity 4 (it was ported to Mac though!), Warhammer Online, etc. And these are only the EA games.

3. Shazam.

4. I won't disagree that MS has done considerable harm to the PC gaming industry but I've seen nothing to show that people still don't buy PC-exclusive game(s) in droves if they're sufficiently appealing.

5. I would argue that Half-Life 2 (and the ensuing sequels and spinoffs (Portal/TF2)) is/are a terrific example(s) of a "developed for PC-first" engine/game(s) that eventually made its way to the consoles. It's already happened and Valve makes it look easy.

Creston: As for the "it's now multiplatform" thing, link please. Last I heard out of Bioware, it was strictly PC only.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

13. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 22:16 Acleacius

I never asked you to take my word for it, it's not even my word, it's my best guess, which I choose to put on teh interweb instead of my privy.

1. You can point at anything you want, like maybe you mean this link that shows Half-Life 2 is on xbox?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/half-life-2

No delay? Provide a link? Maybe when I am trying to state something factual.
When has the last Bioware game taken 4 years, with it looking like another year possible, so a total of 5 years? Sure, I know they are developing a new engine and canon which certainly could and very well may explain everything. However to exclude the idea they could release a console version based off the PC development model, why shouldn't they, if they can?

2. http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=the+sims&x=0&y=0
Looks like you got one, ea has actually released a PC exclusive, out of the gazillion games it's release and just like me not to think of The Sims since I would never play it.

3. Thanks for correcting my memory.

4. Yes, but I am not stating this as *Omg, PCs are dead and console are teh shit!* I don't even own a console and never have, it's about profit verses scalability which can be done if it's done correctly, i.e. from PCs scaled down to consoles.
This has been the opposite of what m$ has done for the last 7 years, dumping billions (written off btw so taxpayers foot their bill, while they keep the cash) on the xbox and taking a giant crap on the PC industry.

5. The point, as I mentioned is they can now develop PC first, they *Don't* have to base everything on console first since m$ is *not* in the drivers seat. This means, if they develop for the PC first it can still be a great game and this was directed to those whom would not buy it if it was a mulitplatform release. We could feasibly get both good PC and console games, which would be a industry first, afaik.

Heh, it's not about believing, it wouldn't bother me one bit if it's PC only as I would much rather have a great PC game first, since PCs are foundation of innovation. It's about possibilities and making sure the gaming industry is developing with a pro-active and beneficial model, so they can return to making better, higher quality games. Instead of the shitty assed model m$ has forced on us the last 7 years while we taxpayers foot the bill. It would have been great if it had been for the benefit of the industry (that's one thing) but as they damaged the game development industry and it was for their self-sevring interest.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 21:01 Creston

The fact that the game has been this long in development with virtually nary a word about it does not bode well

Nary a word? They've been talking about it on their forums for like four straight years! Asking people what they think and what they want to see and such.

That's not exactly the same as being quiet about a game and just shoving it out the door, hoping to catch a few suckers unaware.

As for the "it's now multiplatform" thing, link please. Last I heard out of Bioware, it was strictly PC only.

Creston

11. No subject Feb 2, 2008, 17:27 D4rkKnight

If you develop a great PC game, it can and might sell like hotcakes.

Fixed

10. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 15:13 Decoy

You'll excuse me if I don't take your word for it then. A few points of rebuttal, if I may:

1. I would point to several Valve games (particularly HL2) where long development time != delay due to console development. Also, if this is a delay, please point me to a link where they'd previously announced a release date. Just because it's coming out later than you expect, doesn't mean it's "delayed".

2. EA does develop/publish PC-exclusive games (Hellgate: London and the Sims, to name a few).

3. The Baldur's Gate series did come to consoles, but it was over a year later and a completely different game. It was not BG2.

4. While it's a bit more difficult to argue that point, there are several examples of PC-exclusive games that sell amazingly well. WoW (10 million, at least), the Sims 2 (13 million, not including expansions), the Sims (16 million, not including expansions), StarCraft (9.5 million), etc. If you develop a great PC game, it can and will sell like hotcakes.

5. I'm not sure what BioWare not being forced to develop for consoles by MS has to do with all their games (particularly ones they've previously described as PC-exclusive) being developed for consoles. If anything, it should point to the opposite; that their games will no longer be coming to consoles now that they are less affiliated with Microsoft.

Just my two cents. I'm sure it could still happen but you'll pardon me if I don't believe it until it's publicly announced.

9. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 10:18 Acleacius

I don't have a link, when I said afaik it was intended as my best guess.
Everything points against PC only, just to name a few;
1. The time being spent.
2. ea purchase.
3. The fact that even BG2 was on consoles, iirc.
4. The lost revenue of a multiplatform release.
5. Bioware is no longer being forced to develop for consoles first by ms, which has lead to the majority of complaints from long time RPG fans.
All this leads me to believe it's true.

In most cases multiplatform does certainly cause lower quality, however if they build for PC first then scale to console as with BG2 everyone is still a winner, imo. So it's still very much possible it could be a huge and justified success. Bioware certainly has the talent to do it, though it's more about how and what they focus on.

So even if it's a multiplatform release don't write it off just yet, you can always say no.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 09:21 ibm

Maybe they've learnt from Blizzard, remaining tight lipped on products in development so they can scrap them or shelve them if they're not happy with them and avoid resulting public fallout - like Diablo 3.

I don't see it bombing though, I wouldn't of thought it would be worse than Jade Empire.

Developing for consoles is dissapointing though, although that's just the way things will be from now on if it's not an MMO. Hopefully they'll still use all the PC specific enhancements they must of come up with in the last few years developing the game though.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 09:23.

7. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 03:25 Cutter

The fact that the game has been this long in development with virtually nary a word about it does not bode well. Sounds like it could be Bioware's first major bomb.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 01:15 D4rkKnight

Afaik, it's being delayed becasue they changed their mind about PC only release and now instead are doing multiplatform development.

If this is true I would not even consider purchasing.

5. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 2, 2008, 00:52 Decoy

Request Link in regards to claim Dragon Age being multi-platform now.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 00:54.

4. Dragon Age? Feb 2, 2008, 00:24 Toebot

There is a reason that almost nothing is known about this game. No, I don't know what the reason is and I wont speculate.

3. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 1, 2008, 23:18 Acleacius

Afaik, it's being delayed becasue they changed their mind about PC only release and now instead are doing multiplatform development.  

2. Re: Jesus H Christ Feb 1, 2008, 22:30 Charlie_Six

I hope the content creation tools are easy to use and the multiplayer is a smooth process. NWN is a nightmare when it comes to multiplayer play, IMO. The only times it's not a nightmare is if you play on a Persistent World.

Just too many freaking' variables. HAK packs, level gaps, missing quest items, argghhh.

Tabletop gameplay just don't translate well to multiplayer online. The latter is pick up and play ad-hoc stuff. The former is "Let's schedule an appointment and play together with great coordination." World's apart..

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

1. Jesus H Christ Feb 1, 2008, 21:57 Golem

Damn... it's been in development for four years I would hope this would be the year for the Biowares returning to our roots movement.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 21:59.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo