Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Patch Plans

IncGamers' World of Warcraft Wiki offers all the details they've managed to collect about what's planned for the upcoming version 2.4 patch for World of Warcraft.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2008, 09:38 Mr. Tact

Probably about 10,000 hours. If you do the math, it's something like 5 hours a day, give or take an hour. Many people either say "Yeah right, you're full of crap!" or "Wow, that is awesome!" But in reality, both responses are exaggerated.

The amount of time sound about right. $4 an hour is less than minimum wage so it's not exactly a good way to make a living. I would have expected more people to be impressed you spent 10,000 hours playing the games than the fact you sold the resulting characters for $40,000.

I've occasionally wonder what I could get for my WoW account, but never really bothered to find out since I'm not interested in parting with it. I never played any of the previous MMOs. I know there are stories of people "making a living" on them. It's never been clear to me if those claims were valid. Your claim seems reasonable.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 18:52 m00t

How do you mean they haven't listed most of the changes in 2.4? What stuff have they missed out? Looks pretty thorough to me.

I mean, we've heard nothing of the nerfs that are coming with any buffs. Don't have the official patch notes, and if you read some of the sources you'd note that they say "this is some of it".

I'd rather they just post the patch notes for what they have now as patch notes on the test forum than sprinkle it all over and make people hunt for it. It's pointless and annoying.

9. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2008, 14:56 JohnBirshire

$40,000 eh? How many man hours would you say you put into creating those accounts?

Probably about 10,000 hours. If you do the math, it's something like 5 hours a day, give or take an hour. Many people either say "Yeah right, you're full of crap!" or "Wow, that is awesome!" But in reality, both responses are exaggerated.

On one hand, $40,000 seems like an awful lot of money. But remember, if you worked at McDonald's you would have made over twice that in the same time period. Most educated adults in the US make at least $40,000 every year, let alone 5 years, so the $$$ is pathetic in comparison. On the other hand, the naysayers shouldn't act as if somebody would be full of crap for stating that's what they made playing MMORPGs, if you think about it that way.

Many people are against MMORPG sales of this type, but I'd rather walk away with some dollars by selling my account when I'm done with it, rather than walking away with nothing. People can complain all they want.

Regardless, accounts don't sell for nearly what they used to. For example, I sold my Asheron's Call Darktide account for almost $5,000. Ever hear of the character "Blood", who later went on to start the Blood Monarchy? If you played Asheron's Call, you've heard of it. That character was created by me. The Blood everybody knows of wasn't the original, although it's a little known fact. I sold it to him in January of 2000, just a few months after the game went live. Just some minor MMORPG history for you. :-)

As for me starting World of Warcraft again, I'm going to have to put it off unless they came out with a new PvP server in the next month...which doesn't seem as if it is going to happen. I'm sure there will be new ones with Wrath of the Lich King, but by then I hope to be fully engrossed in Age of Conan or Warhammer Online.

edited to redo the quote
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 16:10.

8. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 09:27 Thief

How do you mean they haven't listed most of the changes in 2.4? What stuff have they missed out? Looks pretty thorough to me.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 09:29.

7. No subject Feb 2, 2008, 09:19 Mr. Tact

I agree with Darknight -- calling the 1-60 areas ghost towns would be an exaggeration, but they are certainly less populated than most of the 60-70 zones. The worst would be any instance in the 1-60 zones, almost no one runs those any longer, even for the quests.

$40,000 eh? How many man hours would you say you put into creating those accounts?

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 09:21.

6. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 07:13 AcidDrone

teasingin the pants

5. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 02:04 m00t

They haven't listed most of the changes in 2.4. They're just teasing the community at this point. Kind of annoying really, how they spread it randomly through the forums.

4. No subject Feb 2, 2008, 01:21 D4rkKnight

I wouldn't call them "ghost towns" (this is WoW we are talking about after all) but theres certainly going to be a lot less lower levels running around, the majority of the player base is 60-70.

I imagine if you joined the right guild you would have people to play with, otherwise not so many.

3. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 01:11 JohnBirshire

Unless you deleted the characters off of your account yourself, there won't be a need to relevel.

I always sell my MMORPG accounts when I'm done playing them. Obviously WoW accounts don't sell for much, but "back in the day" I made roughly $40,000 selling my UO, EQ, and AC Darktide accounts over 5 years. Those days are long gone though. :-(.

I had a question for you though about leveling your alts, do you feel as if you are doing it "alone"? Not alone in the sense that you aren't soloing, but alone in the sense that there aren't many people in the lower level zones? I always liked leveling alongside other people, "Barrens Chat", etc. Although I'm not grouped, at least there are other players nearby, hence "massively multiplayer". I'm afraid that if I restart the game, all the 1-60 zones will be ghost towns. Is this the case?

2. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 00:47 Mr. Tact

Unless you deleted the characters off of your account yourself, there won't be a need to relevel. The characters will still be there when you reactivate the account. That said, 1-60 is pretty easy these days. Exp. needed lowered, exp. received from quests increased, many "Elite" quests downgraded so they are now solo-able. I had a couple of alts. which had been sitting in their low 20s for a LONG, LONG, time. They are now 55 and 67 and I'm considering starting a couple more...  

1. I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 00:07 JohnBirshire

on whether to start playing WoW again. I've been holding out for Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, but both keep getting delayed everytime they approach their release dates.

I bought WoW the day it came out and was one of the first Shamans to level 60 roughly 3 weeks later, and I've leveled 6 characters to max level before I left the game about a year and a half later. That being said, the last thing I feel like doing again is leveling yet another character, but with the recent changes to the 1-60 leveling process I hear with the 15% deduction in experience requirement as well as greater quest experience, it is about a 1/4+ faster.

I'm trying to play something else instead, just played through Crysis, Command and Conquer 3, and played both online until I got burned out. I also did part of the 10 day trial for Dungeons and Dragons Online, but it didn't hold my interest longer than two days. I think I might have to finally give in and play WoW again in the meantime.

The only thing holding me back is that there hasn't been a new PvP server in over a year. They used to release them every month or two, but suddenly stopped. If they released a new PvP server I'd start playing right away, I like to level along with and get a fresh start with everyone else, not play "catch up" to people already decked out in epic gear at max level. If not, I might check out Pirates of the Burning Sea or hope that Sins of a Solar Empire meets expectations.

Oh, and as for 2.4, doesn't seem to include many changes in comparison to other recent patches, but it does include two more instances.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo