Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: G/J Feb 1, 2008, 12:55 Bodolza

Considering many of us were around when the term was first being used, I'd say we have as much authority than any on-line dictionary or wiki article.

And as someone who lives in California, I've never heard anyone pronounce giblets with a hard g.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: G/J Feb 1, 2008, 11:54 HoJu

Man, I'm not saying you guys that pronounce it "jib" are wrong...but you're wrong :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gib

20. G/J Feb 1, 2008, 11:52 Starsky

err...

NO, NO, NO!

First, just say no to talking about Romero. Wilson was right. Second, Blue knows best, so be quiet. Third, you must have played the original Quake online over a modem to comment. Fourth, it's like an old friend coming over for a visit even having this conversation.

I thank you all, I've had my day made by strangers and I am happy. I need to get out and play me some TF1. Where did that Q1 disc go. Anyway?

It's Jib, you losers. I don't care where you're from or how many cores your CPU has.

19. Re: G/J Feb 1, 2008, 07:03 Efflixi

giblets is "gib"

gib as in the gamer term is "jib" so yes, i pronounce instagib as instajib.

18. Re: G/J Feb 1, 2008, 01:33 PropheT

Hrmm, are you saying that in CA, giblets are pronounced with a hard g sound? I'm not sure I believe that. It may just be that everyone who's around you mispronounces it, and you think its a regional thing, when it really is a household thing.

I live in MN, but I've never heard them pronounced as "jib" anywhere around here before. My wife says "giblets" rather than "jib", and she grew up in PA and Georgia before moving up here.

We have some relatives that come over during the holidays that call 'em "jiblets", but they're British :p

17. No subject Feb 1, 2008, 01:20 Cabezone

I'm 3rd gen California and my family says it jiblets, but my nerd friends do say Gibs with a hard G.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

16. Re: G/J Feb 1, 2008, 00:59 Fang

In California it's a hard "G" sound, and is reflected in the dictionary.

Hrmm, are you saying that in CA, giblets are pronounced with a hard g sound? I'm not sure I believe that. It may just be that everyone who's around you mispronounces it, and you think its a regional thing, when it really is a household thing.

I think giblets is really pronounced with a j-sound. If you can find a dictionary to contradict this, then please let us know.

With that said, I still pronounce "gib" with a hard-g sound. Us, unwashed heathens have taken over the word, and that's just how we pronounce it. As with any language, the "right" way is the way the majority of the people speak.

-----------------
Find a Halo 3 Custom Game going on right now:
http://www.halo3customs.com/
This comment was edited on Feb 1, 01:00.

15. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2008, 00:33 Baudkarma

Only llamas pronounce it Gib.  
I am not a man! I am a free number!

14. Re: Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 23:57 PHJF

Gibson. Gib-son. Gib. GIB!!!!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 23:53 manic half

I think you mean it's the yanks that cant spell. too fat and lazy to bother spelling anything properly by leaving letters OUT.

12. No subject Jan 31, 2008, 23:50 manic half

Gamers pronounce it Gib. simple as that.

11. Re: Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 23:31 |o.O|Payback

It's not the ofal of a bird. It's a gamer term. It's Gib, like Andy Gibb, which is what all sane people should want to do to the BeeGees anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibs

You Brits never say anything right. Can't spell either, keep throwing in 'u' all over the place. Colour, Armour, Rancour Monsteur from Return of the Jedui

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 23:33.

10. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 23:28 Fifth

I call BS on you, Bats - - it's jib

So you pronounce instagib as insta-jib? I honestly say it with a hard G. Don't give me that nonsense about it being short for giblets - that's what John Romero wants you to think, and we all know what happens when you listen to John Romero.

9. Re: Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 22:57 Fion

Gibs, how ever you pronounce it, are becoming a lost art. To many games these days do excessive blood and gore and cutting off heads, but no full blow Gibs.

Gibs evolved early on when they were introduced really by the first game to truly have them, Quake. Blown into rough blood colored polygons that would shoot out with a trail of blood. Many games used them, but the best were always Quakes. Until.. Quake 2. They were more bloody, smaller, many more of them and it was always awesome. The best however, Id carried the tradition to Quake 3. Now you had bits of flesh, but the gib was more then that, it was a 'shower.. of blood.' To bad it didn't stick to you. Some matches were like a constant FOUNTAIN of gibs. Quick, crazy fun game with the best map flow ever seen in a multiplayer FPS. They were the peak, no other game had captured gibs as amazingly as Quake 3. (Though technically, Quake 2 remains the best FPS ever made. Both Singleplayer and Multiplayer... bar none.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 22:59.

8. Re: Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 22:51 Fion

Maybe officially it's 'jib' but in the gaming universe like 90% of people say 'Gib.' TomAto, TomAHto, it's said both ways, but vastly more the TomAto.

7. Jiblets! Jan 31, 2008, 22:29 UnderLord

It's 'Jib'!
I'm English, we invented the word, get used to it ;-)
If you must have an American Authority - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giblets :-)

6. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 22:14 banddirector

Only heathens say "jib".

I call BS on you, Bats - - it's jib

"Gib" - - with a hard G? What planet did you grow up on?

-----------------------------------
Don't be a stoop, spread your goop

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

5. Re: Pope says... Jan 31, 2008, 21:59 PHJF

i say gib

as in...
j00 gieb n0w!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Pope says... Jan 31, 2008, 21:47 UnderLord

How dare those bunch of fucks open their mouthes about human dignity?
http://www.weirdload.com/inquis.html
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v284414SC4zEMFg

3. No subject Jan 31, 2008, 21:44 xXBatmanXx

"Cool, but gib is pronounced jib."

Only heathens say "jib".

In fact, try saying "jib" at a lan gathering - I am sure you will be laughed out of the place....

As in "Oh dude! Look at all of those jibs".

Yeah, not a good idea.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 21:48.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo