Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mark Rein - Consoles "Stealing" Hardcore PC Gamers

The Mark Rein interview on the Guardian Unlimited (thanks BeyondUnreal) offers a conversation with the Epic executive, discussing the company, its games, the Unreal engine, and PCs versus consoles, offering this outlook: "I'm a real fan of the PC, but yes, consoles are definitely stealing a lot of hardcore gamers from the PC. When Call of Duty 4 came out, I heard some of our guys sitting around talking about the great game they'd had last night and I'm like, 'Hey guys, what server are you playing on? I'd love to come and join you,' and they said, 'Just send us a friends request,' It was at that point I realized they were all playing it on console. Plus, the sales of the console versions are something like ten times the sales of the PC versions."

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

11. Re: Consoles vs. PC Jan 31, 2008, 11:12 maldoror

"Someone pays $300-$400 for a 360 that lasts them 5+ years. No need to upgrade hardware, software, drivers, install games or deal with compatibility problems. Buy a game, pop it in and everything works fine."

Yes but you also pay to play online, pay $10+ more per game and get nickle and dimed for every update and bonus material (as per microsofts own policy of not giving things away for free on xbox live) when you factor in all of these things the price is a bit more than $300-$400 and you are easily getting into decent PC range (with todays low pc prices) and guess what else, a PC can do other things like. Graphic design, Video editing, Accounting etc etc etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Consoles vs. PC Jan 31, 2008, 11:10 nin

Mullet wins...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. No subject Jan 31, 2008, 11:08 Toebot

More like Mark Rein's reaction when he found out PC's only account for 14% of games sales. "What, consoles are stealing our gamers!!!". Buy a clue numbnuts, it's been obvious for years.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 11:09.

8. Consoles vs. PC Jan 31, 2008, 11:07 Lincolns Mullet

I've been playing FPS since Terminator and Wolf 3D, and now play FPS's exclusively on the 360. As much as people might disagree with it, Mark Rein is right and for a number of reasons. For one, playing FPS with a gamepad isn't some abomination. You get used to it and good players can be just as or nearly as quick as mouse/keyboard players. I've had no problems with it. Two, consoles are just more accessible and priced better. Someone pays $300-$400 for a 360 that lasts them 5+ years. No need to upgrade hardware, software, drivers, install games or deal with compatibility problems. Buy a game, pop it in and everything works fine. PC developers DO push the graphical envelope, but in order for the average gamer to catch up and utilize these new graphics they need to buy much more than $400 worth of upgrades over a 5 year period. For most developers and the majority of the gaming "consumer" audience, consoles just make more sense now.

There will always be a market for PC games, but when my 360 can display high level graphics and frame rates far better than my PC, at a cheaper price and with less headaches...my desire to upgrade my PC at this point is pretty low.

7. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 11:02 Fion

Yea if these people claim to be 'hardcore' yet they are opting for a controller over keyboard/mouse, I'm sorry, but they are anything but.

They can go play their kiddy console version. I'll stick with PC. They'll be rather jealous when we start playing some kick ass mods, and they stuck with the basic modes that came with the game.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 11:03.

6. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 Nick

A gamepad isn't as good as a kb/mouse, but it's a lot fairer on consoles. Everyone has the same fps and it's a lot harder to cheat which brings down the accusations considerably. The trade-off there is enough for me to consider the console version especially now that my pc is getting old.

5. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 sir

Yet another conversation where Mr. Rein zips his mouth shut and lets rip with his arsehole.

4. No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:37 LittleMe

Yeah I'm not going to consoles for FPS or RTS without a mouse/keyboard. No way unless I'm broke. But I can see that many people have done just that. A gamepad? PFFT! Glad Mark Rein is speaking out on this.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 10:37.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:26 maldoror

No "hardcore" fps player would ever choose to play a FPS with a gamepad. Sorry.

2. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:25 nin

Oh Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanker!!! Here boy! Here Wanker!

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. No subject Jan 31, 2008, 10:20 MMORPGHoD

Can someone who has been playing FPS games for years on PCs say that playing CoD4 on a console is better than playing CoD4 on a PC? I can't imagine any FPS game being better without a keyboard/nostromo and a mouse.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo