Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowbane Reboot

The Shadowbane Website (thanks nin and Wired/TenTonHammer) has details on Patch 22 for this MMOG that both went free-to-play (story) and killed its developer (story) shortly after launch. The update includes details on what's new and different in the patch, but also reveals that its launch will coincide with a complete wipe of every character and item in the game:

The Shadowbane Team decided that it would be best for the longevity of the game to reset all server and character data and start from scratch. By doing so, the game benefits in a variety of ways. First, we feel the community will be better served by being more consolidated and less fragmented. Second, resetting the game removes items that have accumulated over the years that have caused imbalances to the game. In addition, numerous updates and enhancements have been made to the Shadowbane service to improve the performance. Some of the changes were not as effective due to preexisting data and resetting the service will allow the servers to work under optimal conditions. Finally, this update also gives us a chance to address certain game issues.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 30, 2008, 21:26 Kxmode

A wipe will just piss off the few customers they had left.

My thought exactly.

Mine too. It's still the same game after the wipe only now you've alienated your existing fan base. Way to go Wolfpack. Give yourself -3 points.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jan 30, 21:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 30, 2008, 12:44 Satertek

But does anybody know if Shadowbane supports widescreen? I tried googling, no luck.

It does. I play at 1280x800.

13. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 30, 2008, 11:55 JohnBirshire

Not only are people not leaving, lots of new people are returning, looking at getting into the game again (or for the first time) because of the level playfield everyone will now be on.

I am debating whether or not to give it another try, just to see how the game has come along in the last several years.

But does anybody know if Shadowbane supports widescreen? I tried googling, no luck.

12. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 30, 2008, 08:34 Satertek

This is a good thing. Shadowbane is a MUCH different type of MMO from WoW. It revolves entirely around PvP, you can easily hit the maximum level of 75 in a few days. There were tons of cheated items in the game and other fixes that this needed to be done for.

Not only are people not leaving, lots of new people are returning, looking at getting into the game again (or for the first time) because of the level playfield everyone will now be on.

11. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2008, 05:03 The Half Elf

Well if WoW did this you have to remember there are enough subscribers to take over a country

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2008, 01:00 rocketpcguy

So what did people do? They did what he said, they made characters with names like LIILILILILILI, so you fought 50 people with almost an identical name, making it impossible to target anyone to focus fire.
won't it be better if they called themselves LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL?

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 01:01.

9. No subject Jan 29, 2008, 21:30 Toebot

Does a free game have customers? Player wipes are always a bad move, but especially for these marginal games. If EA/UO hadn't wiped all my Dreads, I'd go back and visit occasionally. At least they would get a few bucks every now and again.

8. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 29, 2008, 21:07 nin

I'm surprised SB still exists.

I honestly didn't think it was still around, until I saw this today and sent it in...

A wipe will just piss off the few customers they had left.

My thought exactly.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 21:04 JohnBirshire

STACK UP STACK UP during battles with everyone focusing on players with names like LILILILILIL

You hit it right on the money. I played Shadowbane the first month, then quit because there was literally only one Clan on the entire server.

I tried to make a comeback about a year later, and quickly ran into the same problem you just mentioned. A 100 person vs 100 person battle? Yes, the existed. It was 100 people standing on top of each other vs 100 people standing on top of each other. This was ridiculous in it's own right, made no logical sense. Plus, literally the only way to target someone was to type in their name. So what did people do? They did what he said, they made characters with names like LIILILILILILI, so you fought 50 people with almost an identical name, making it impossible to target anyone to focus fire. PvP was a joke to begin with, this just destroyed what little hope it had left. There seemed to be a PERFECTLY EASY FIX, make it so people can't stack...but it was never done. WTF???!?!!? You can easily fix your game in five seconds and you choose not to? Asinine. This game deserved to fail in every way that it has.

However, wiping the game and starting from scratch is very interesting. If you want to get a fresh start and not get owned by people who've been playing for years, now is your chance. Ironically, the only reason I don't start playing WoW again is because they haven't had a new PvP server open in over a year. I keep checking every month, so that I can join a new server and start fresh with everybody else, instead of leveling from 1-70 without seeing a single person because everybody is already 70. They used to open new servers every 2 or 3 months, but they suddenly stopped. So unfortunately, I'm left waiting for the Conan and Warhammer's delay after delay after delay.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll check Shadowbane out. Nah, I'd be uninstalling the next day.

6. Blizzard Wipe Jan 29, 2008, 20:57 Techie714

I know for a fact that if Blizzard did a massive character wipe there would be a TON of suicides in the coming days. Not me though I dont play..hehe

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. No subject Jan 29, 2008, 20:34 Starang

Played this way back and loved it. In the end the crap pve, ugly gfx, laggy servers, the constant STACK UP STACK UP during battles with everyone focusing on players with names like LILILILILIL and the low player population killed it for me. Too bad Darkfall Online is vapor ware because I loved the hardcore pvp setting. Don't like someone ? kill them and take their stuff...good times. Even with all its flaws this game was way better than many mmorpgs I have played since then.

4. No subject Jan 29, 2008, 20:03 NKD

They should just shut this game down and go find new jobs. They suck at their current ones.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. wtf? Jan 29, 2008, 19:53 Innocent

nothing retains MMORPG gamers like a character wipe. i predict this will strongly reinforce the existing SB fan base.

the next move i forsee the SB team planning is personally driving to each subscriber's house and kicking them in the balls.

Inno

2. Re: Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 29, 2008, 19:52 BlueF

Seriously!

SB was a neat MMORG with a good concept, suffered from poor implementation (no balance what so ever).

Best of luck to them in getting it right this time around.

1. Um, did they just say char wipe? Jan 29, 2008, 19:36 MMORPGHoD

A wipe will just piss off the few customers they had left. I know that if Blizzard ever reset my level 70 char on WoW, I'd never think of going back for the next expansion.

I'm surprised SB still exists.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo