Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Assassin's Creed Slips

Dark Messiah 360 slips a week on Eurogamer has news of a couple of delays announced by Ubisoft. The report includes word that the PC and DS editions of Assassin's Creed are now expected on March 28, meaning the PC edition is delayed by about a month.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: graphics Jan 30, 2008, 16:04 Prez

I agree - the minimum specs will probably be more than enough to play this game.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: graphics Jan 30, 2008, 00:21 Jerykk

Don't start telling me I'm retarded, I may be miles off-base with this.

I think it's much more likely that the minimum specs are completely inaccurate, as they always are.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I think the delay is good news. Means they aren't rushing the port. Or it just means that they want to give a couple more months for console sales out of a ridiculous fear that piracy of the PC version will completely destroy all console sales...

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 00:26.

18. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 21:03 Prez

Port or not, this game has always had me intrigued. The setting, the premise, the setup - all of it sounds like a game I'd love to play.

Instead of viewing this as a console game ported to the PC, I have always viewed this as a PC game premise tried on a console finally making it to where it naturally belongs.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

17. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 19:02 Donkey_Punch

MATT DAMON!!!

16. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 18:37 Bone43

No, seriously, the title "Assassin's Creed" somehow pisses me off everytime I hear it.

Should have been AssCreed as its just another console port no thanks.

15. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2008, 18:31 NKD

JADE RAYMOND!!!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. No subject Jan 29, 2008, 16:10 Eldaron Imotholin

What those fuckers are doing to PC gamers is terrible. I feel insulted for some reason. They didn't mention the PC version in ANY interview either.

Fucking hell I even start hating that beautiful girl Jade. No, seriously, the title "Assassin's Creed" somehow pisses me off everytime I hear it.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

13. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 15:52 waxthirteen

i'm more upset that the DS version is pushed back. couldn't care less about it on the PC since i played the 360 version already, but the DS version looks like it could be fun if done right. although it's gameloft and their splinter cell game sucked.

12. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 15:43 LittleMe

HoSpanky thanks for your comment however I'm quite sure that PC's are very good at accessing the HD and not slowing down much. It's called DMA acccess and its been done for years on PCs. Windows NT 4.0, at first, didn't do DMA on IDE drives but ever since Windows 2000, DMA has worked, and worked well. The reason some games grind to a halt when accessing the HD is, I presume, a programming decision (lazy?). The Windows 9x series also did DMA, depending on how the ide controllers were configured and/or the drivers that were used.

True that the Windows desktop (explorer) can sometimes stop & shutter when accessing the HD but that's due to it being non-threaded, not because the system can't do it.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 15:44.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

11. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 14:15 HoSpanky

yes, the specs are high. SOME of it can be explained. some can't.

The high processor requirements? the 360 has 3 cores. most gaming computers have 2. Now each of those has to do their own load PLUS half the work of the "missing" core. Add general windows bloat on top of that.

Ram requirements aren't QUITE as easily explained away, but I'm gonna take a stab in the dark anyway (har har, subject humor):
The 360 has only 512 megs of SHARED memory. Now, windows Vista eats up that much memory just twiddling its thumbs. Also, the 360 is built to stream data...a well-designed game won't stutter or hitch while streaming in data off the disc (and dumping unneccessary data at the same time). Assassin's creed pulls this off surprisingly well. The PC...*sigh*. It doesn't do streaming so well. the instant you go for data on a drive, it's time to grind to a halt. I don't know exactly why but it happens, linux users have talked shit about it for years. Apparently you can access data on a floppy disc on a linux machine and *AMAZINGLY*, you can still do other stuff at the same time. No chance in windows.

What I'm implying with all that is MAYBE Assassin's Creed's truly ridiculously huge levels have to be loaded into ram in their entirety to guarantee your mile-long run from the guards isn't so stuttery that you goof up your trajectory and end up jumping into the river instead of landing on that little pole in the middle of it. Super Run-On Sentence has made its appearance. Anyhow, the massive levels AND the ram-devourer named Vista need to share all that ram...so to be safe, they say "have a lot".

I'm guessing here, people. Don't start telling me I'm retarded, I may be miles off-base with this.

Defendably high specs or no, this is NOT the game to upgrade for. it's...ok. Fun in short spurts but terribly repetitive all the same.

10. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 13:24 4D-Boxing

Assassin's Creed is a UBI game that should explain everything. CoD4 is probably the best example of a good port. This one is going to be like, GRAW 1&2 & R6 Vegas or even Gears that was published by MS.

Everybody remembers the horrible performance of R6 Vegas PC on release day?! That is what I expect but I still hope for the best.

9. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 13:08 Kobalt

2. Oh dear game did't sell so well, shit shit need to recoupe loses!

Are you retarded? Assassin's Creed was one of the best selling games of 2007.

8. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 13:06 Krovven

* Supported OS: Windows XP / Vista (only)
* Processor: Dual core processor 2.6 GHz Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or better recommended)
* RAM: 2 GB (3 GB recommended)
* Video Card: 256 MB DirectX 10.0–compliant video card or DirectX 9.0–compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (512 MB video card recommended) (see supported list)*
* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0 or 10.0 compliant sound card (5.1 sound card recommended)
* DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0 libraries (included on disc)
* DVD-ROM: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
* Hard Drive Space: 12 GB
* Peripherals Supported: Keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI RADEON X1300-1950 / HD 2000 / 3000 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600-6800 / 7 / 8 / 9 series

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, COmpany of Heroes, Team Fortress 2

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

7. No subject Jan 29, 2008, 12:50 xXBatmanXx

Knowing now what I know from historical console ----> PC releases....I will be getting this title on a 360.

Disappointing.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 12:46 Overon

What are the system specs for Assassin's Creed on PC?

5. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 12:41 Hazard

As far as I know Assassin's Creed sold very well. It was cited as one of the reasons why Ubisofts results for the last quarter were so good.

That said, I can't imagine why they would release a PC game with these requirements. Especially after seeing the fate that befell Crysis.

Also, a "lazy" port of the Xbox 360 version should work fine on normal PCs. The Xbox 360 is almost a Windows PC after all.

I can only imagine that the system specs they posted were bogus. They don't make any sense, neither from a technical nor from a business point of view.

It may also be that they added additional eye candy for the PC version that needs these requirements. But my guess is that those features can be disabled to make the game run on a normal PC. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

4. Re: graphics Jan 29, 2008, 12:01 Bilbo

Have you seen the reccomended specs for this game? It is mental! The game does not look that good to warrant such high requirements, side effect of lazy programmers who can't be arsed coding from scratch. Their mentality goes as follows:

1. Make game for console fuck pcs we will rehash it later once we have sold millions!
3. I know lets give this steaming pile of shit to PC users we can add a couple of totally useless game modes or something, YEA this could work!
4. Programmers youre on a real tight time schedule there is no way in hell you can make this run as intended, just make the code work and as a result everyone will have to use totally inflated specs, ah well we need to start from point 1 again!

MONEY MONEY MONEY!

3. graphics Jan 29, 2008, 11:41 rocketpcguy

because they are launched at the same time, it means that the pc version is a port of the nintendo DS version.

2. Uhh... Jan 29, 2008, 11:31 Burrito of Peace

nvm

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 11:32.

1. Guess this gives.. Jan 29, 2008, 11:23 The Half Elf

The PC and DS players time to print out the maps to find all the damn flags and Templars in the game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo