Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Is it just me, or does synchronizing one's computer clock online using the internet time function under Windows XP no longer work at all? I mentioned having trouble with this some time ago, but that was solved by finding a new time server with which to synch. This time, however, I have not been able to find any way to get this to work, and of course, it is vitally important that my clock be accurate to the split-second with atomic clock accuracy because… because… Well, okay, it's not that important, but it's still bugging me.

Timely Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Space Creeps.
Would You Eat Your Buddies in a Blizzard? 39%? Really?
Stories: Scary movie making viewers sick. Thanks brother19.
Big Theft Ends in Shackles for a Young Goth Couple. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Doctors report transplant breakthrough.
Image: Come on, dis one is a warp.
Media: Upright Citizens Brigade gives us ... Life Frite.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 11:18 xXBatmanXx

Bronco - why not use (read build) dark shadow boxes with some light weight wood.....maybe paint them black on the inside

I thought of that but I think I want the look of acrylic - sort of a late 70's early 80's look.

Werd. The reason I mention is I am doing something like that. I have 3 silver/chrome Batman/Joker/Harley heads fromt he Warner Brothers shop from years ago that I was going to put into shadow boxes.....

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 08:46 Bronco

Bronco - why not use (read build) dark shadow boxes with some light weight wood.....maybe paint them black on the inside

I thought of that but I think I want the look of acrylic - sort of a late 70's early 80's look.

-TPFKAS2S

34. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 00:43 Cholma

[iheck to make sure that the Windows Time Service is not disabled, and that you can UDP to port 123 through your firewall. [/i]

Thanks for this info! I've wondered for some time why I couldn't synchronize, but never bothered to research it. Forwarding the port then rebooting worked like a charm! (using time-a.nist.gov, the us.pool.ntp.org someone mentioned timed out)

33. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 00:04 jimnms

What Loose Cannon said, plus I prefer to use SetTime rather than Windows' built in time service. SetTime wont auto update like the built in Windows service, but the time doesn't get out of sync that it needs to be updated more than once a month anyway.

http://www2.p-squared.com:8765/SetTime.php

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 18:47  Blue 

So when I got a great monitor, it looked "wrong".

A similar thing happens when you fix the factory tuning on a television. The first thing you need to do is turn that "sharpness" slider down to zero. As you do it you will be struck by how much worse the picture looks until you grow accustomed to the lack of artificial edges around everything. After a while your eyes get used to not seeing the crap your TV is adding to the picture and you won't want to change it back.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

31. Solution to internet time problem... Jan 24, 2008, 18:01 Lilricky

Make sure you use the actual IP address for the server you want to use, not the domain name. Your domain name server is likely the problem, being overwhelmed by hundreds of xp boxes.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 18:02.

30. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 17:44 xXBatmanXx

bat werent you just having a hissy fit over how BAD your 226BW was acting?

I don't understand it, I got my 226CW, plugged it in, set the color innovation mode to "Brilliant" and haven't touched a button on it since.

yup, because my standard for a "good" picture was 1280x1024....and a semi decent monitor. But, as MrGrosser was pointing out, the color is actually more VIBRANT (which looks washed out to me) so I was actually assuming the "so-so" color on my old LCD was "better" than the new 226BW.

I know, sounds weird, just an adjustment I have to get used to. I already had in my mind's eye what the colors were SUPPOSED to look like - which was wrong. So when I got a great monitor, it looked "wrong".

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

29. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 17:16 PHJF

bat werent you just having a hissy fit over how BAD your 226BW was acting?

I don't understand it, I got my 226CW, plugged it in, set the color innovation mode to "Brilliant" and haven't touched a button on it since.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. No subject Jan 24, 2008, 17:06 xXBatmanXx

Bronco - why not use (read build) dark shadow boxes with some light weight wood.....maybe paint them black on the inside, then be able to slide one of the marquees in....then use that cheap rope light (won't be able to see it anyway) and feed through a hole. Leave a little spot for venting. BING. Perfect. Probably cost all of 20-30 per box....easy little project.

27. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 17:02 PHJF

Well initial impressions are good from ma new fancy Creative Labs fatal1ty headset. It was only $50 after all and foobar sounds pretty slick, and thats not even from my Prelude's DAC (going ToSlink to receiver to analog speakers to headphone jack on the speakers )

It's definitely better than my Tritton AX360 (except it doesnt have the surprisingly bitching bass-tuned rumble) but I guess that isn't saying much. Gonna have to pwn some noobs in TF2 with CMSS3D tonight for the final verdict, maybe hop a Vent/TS server for the mic.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Eat Your Buddies in a Blizzard Jan 24, 2008, 16:59 Mr. Tact

I need to rethink my WOW playing time!

See the "10 Million WoW Patches" string currently in the popular threads list to feel better about how much time you spend in WoW.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. No subject Jan 24, 2008, 15:46 strich

Bronco,
I've got a good buddy that works for a plastics place like this. I've shot him an email for opinions. I'll let you know what he responds with. He's over at http://www.professionalplastics.com

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

24. Opinions Jan 24, 2008, 15:32 Bronco

Over the past 4 years I've collected a fair number of old arcade cabinet marquees. Asteroids, Jungle Hunt, Donkey Kong, you get the idea.

Well now I think I want to come up with a way to display them. I'm thinking a shadow box of sorts with back lighting via an series of lights, led maybe?

I'm thinking of working in acrylic, anyone have any experience with it? Good place to buy it? Any tutorials or pitfalls?

If I set it up to hold 5 of them and make it so they can be slipped in and out I could rotate them then, they are all fairly close to the same size.

edit - something like this:

http://www.rplastics.com/komatex.html

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 15:34.

-TPFKAS2S

23. No subject Jan 24, 2008, 14:33 strich

I don't know if this is the case for you, but I have a close friend who returned soemthing like four high-end monitors (though these were CRTs) several years ago for a similar problem before figuring out that they were programmed to do this intentionally when really bright images were displayed (like a lot of white) in order to protect the monitor from burn-in or something like that.

I figured this was what was happening and was probably a setting somewhere, but i wanted to see if anyone had experienced the same thing. It doesnt occur in games or other apps, but seems to be only when i'm on the www.

22. Re: Eat Your Buddies in a Blizzard Jan 24, 2008, 14:27 nin

I read this question as "Would You Eat Your Buddies in Blizzard?" I need to rethink my WOW playing time!

Ok, so it wasn't just me.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Eat Your Buddies in a Blizzard Jan 24, 2008, 14:24 Kxmode

I read this question as "Would You Eat Your Buddies in Blizzard?" I need to rethink my WOW playing time!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

20. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 13:24  Blue 

Now that you bring up the 226BW, has anyone had the occurrence of when you open a site page (any) that the screen noticeably dims? Almost like it's taking the brightness out so as to not disturb the eyes. I dont know if it's the monitor or the adjustment software that came with it.

I don't know if this is the case for you, but I have a close friend who returned soemthing like four high-end monitors (though these were CRTs) several years ago for a similar problem before figuring out that they were programmed to do this intentionally when really bright images were displayed (like a lot of white) in order to protect the monitor from burn-in or something like that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

19. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 13:19  Blue 

and that you can UDP to port 123 through your firewall

D'oh!!

Thank you.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

18. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 12:13 xXBatmanXx

That is if you use the smart settings isn't it?

i dont know. that's why i was asking.

Well then turn it off and see.

17. No subject Jan 24, 2008, 12:07 strich

That is if you use the smart settings isn't it?

i dont know. that's why i was asking.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo