Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallen Empire: Legions Announced

GarageGames announces Fallen Empire: Legions, their upcoming web-based first-person shooter that has been described as TRIBE-like based on footage recently "leaked" onto the intertubes (story). There are some screenshots on PCGames.de, and word is:

EUGENE, OREGON – January 17, 2008 – After months of rumors and a recent video leak on the web, GarageGames today announced initial details for Fallen Empire: Legions, a first person shooter for the recently announced 3D online game platform, InstantAction.com.

“This is a first person shooter built by hardcore gamers who are wildly passionate about the genre,” said Tim Aste, project director for Fallen Empire: Legions. “The game design allows for us to create a unique experience that brings FPS gaming back to its roots. Legions won’t be just any ordinary jewel matching web game; in terms of graphics and gameplay it will set a new benchmark of what the future of gaming will be on the web.”

"We created InstantAction to give ourselves and the rest of the development community an outlet to make the games they want to play. Rather than churning out sequels or licensed games, we're working with developers focused on creating cool gameplay," said Josh Williams, CEO of GarageGames. "Fallen Empire: Legions will be InstantAction's most advanced example of this so far. Marrying core games with the accessibility and social power of the web is a huge step forward in the industry, and I personally can't wait for this game to be released so I can hop on and start playing everyone."

Developed internally by GarageGames, Fallen Empire: Legions combines distinctive freedom of movement with fast paced first-person combat to create strategic, team-oriented gameplay. The InstantAction platform has allowed Fallen Empire: Legions to leverage the best of what the web has to offer, creating an evolving experience for players that can constantly be improved upon. This is first-person warfare at its fastest and finest!

To sign up for the beta test, receive exclusive sneak peeks of Fallen Empire: Legions, and earn free Action Tokens (InstantAction's virtual currency), please visit www.instantaction.com.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: No subject Jan 20, 2008, 01:40 Jerykk

2. What they're making is JAS (Just Another Shooter) that has jetpacks.

Isn't that contradictory? Simply having jetpacks makes it not just another shooter because every other shooter doesn't have jetpacks. Now, if Legions was going to be a pseudo-realistic military shooter where you kill terrorists in order to save the world, then it would be just another shooter. Also, exactly what are you basing your claims on? I mean, really, what do you actually know about Legions?

Thats like saying that because UT3 (which tanked at retail) has nice guns, so Crysis (which tanked at retail) are like CoD4 (which wiped the floor clean, with every shooter released in 2007) because they all have guns in them.

Um, wow? Make lousy analogies much? Same developer + jetpack -based gameplay = very specific similarities between Legions and Tribes, whereas "having guns" applies to every FPS ever. In addition, why did you even mention the profits of those shooters? What does that have to do with Legions being a spiritual successor to Tribes? You do realize that none of the Tribes games were top sellers and that sales have little to do with a game's quality?

....and then they're doing it with sub-par graphics compared to the current gen.

....in a browser.

And this has what to do with actual gameplay..? CoD4 had subpar graphics compared to both UT3 and Crysis, both of which you seem to suggest were failures. Your own games have subpar graphics compared to anything in the last decade but that doesn't mean they are failures, does it?

My prediction is that it.will.fail because its already got a lot going against it and without even taking the fps bar which has thus far been raised quite high.

Nobody is expecting Legions to be a blockbuster seller. What people are expecting is a game that differentiates itself from the flood of pseudo-realistic military shooters with slow, cover-based gameplay and Arab, Communist or Nazi enemies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Jan 19, 2008, 23:22 Beaner

dsmart I know this is not going to be Tribes. I understand that. But its pretty obvious Garage Games is doing a lot with this game to provide Tribes like gameplay. Why would they even want to keep throwing out the term "Tribes like" in their press releases if that wasnt the case? Either they are lying and trying to use the Tribes name to garner attention (which I highly doubt), or they are making a game that will be Tribes like.

A big part of the uique aspect of Tribes gameplay (being Tribes like) is jetting, jump skiing and x,y axis movment. If this game has all 3 of those elements, its captured a majority of the essence which is Tribes. That does make it unique. Why? Name me one FPS shooter that has jetpacks, jump skiing, x, y axis movement and routes for CTF. None. Honestly the only game that I can remember that even had something somewhat similiar was a game called Citizen Kabuto and that game wasnt really known for its multiplay FPS but the players had jetpacks.

That is why Tribes fans throw out the word "unique" in comparison with every other deatmatch, CTF, capture hold blah blah army whatver FPS. Every other FPS, CSS, BF2, TF2, HALO etc all have the same physics and movement. Being that you arent a big FPS fan I can understand why you cant relate to peoples passion about Tribes. You truly have to be familiar wit the game to understand its differences. It held a special place in many a gamers heart, just the way a game like Civilization or Bioshock may hold a special place in your heart. Many of us that are FPS fans hold Tribes up their in very high regard.

I will agree with you, however about Legions and whether it may be a success or not. Even with jetpacks and all it just may not play the same or have the same fun factor. Who Knows. I'm not expecting Tribes. But if it has the physics and all like Tribes I may enjoy it. Heck Tribes fans havent had much of anything decent since the release of T2. And some would argue since Tribes 1. So we are desperate let us enjoy this while we can. And I am so happy that many of the peeps that worked at Dynamix and made Tribes have found success in other areas without the need for big publishers. I'm also excited to find out later in the year what Scott Youngblood is up to at Red5.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 23:36.

19. Re: No subject Jan 19, 2008, 07:39  dsmart 

@ Beaner

I agree; however, you can't just lump the blame on the publisher. I know, first hand, what exactly happened to Tribes 2 and how it went down. It is always easy to blame the publisher when things go South; but in most cases, the devs also shoulder the blame.

1. They're not remaking Tribes. Lets get that out of the way first and foremost. Those who think this, as pissing up the wrong tree and setting themselves up for disappointment.

2. What they're making is JAS (Just Another Shooter) that has jetpacks. Thats probably one of very few things that it will have in common with Tribes because in order to do a Tribes-like game, it has to be a Tribes game.

3. To say that because it has jetpacks and its from the team that developed Tribes, so it (a) is the spiritual successor (b) it will be like Tribes, is foolish. Thats like saying that because UT3 (which tanked at retail) has nice guns, so Crysis (which tanked at retail) are like CoD4 (which wiped the floor clean, with every shooter released in 2007) because they all have guns in them.

....and then they're doing it with sub-par graphics compared to the current gen.

....in a browser.

Guys, wakeup, this is foolish thinking. Just wait until at least the demo is out before you start growing your hard ons.

My prediction is that it.will.fail because its already got a lot going against it and without even taking the fps bar which has thus far been raised quite high.

@ Jerykk

I don't have to dispute anything. Common sense does that all by itself. So there.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

18. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 23:02 Jerykk

Complete.utter.rubbish.

Please.feel.free.to.actually.refute.my.claims.with.logical.and.supported.evidence.

17. No subject Jan 18, 2008, 22:21 Beaner

I hope this is good but I dont know. This browser thing just worries me. Damn Tribes just can never get the "build" respect it deserves. Its one of the top 5 mulitplay FPS classic of all time. Now we go from TV to a browser game. =(

How would you Quake, ET or Counterstrike folks feel if they told you the next game would be built to run in a browser. When if Valve told you TF2 would run in a browser.

And to dsmart. You can have spore and the art school games. Some of us have been waiting years for a decent successor to Tribes or at least a spiritual successor. Garage Games has said at various times that Vivendi has asked them if they would build another Tribes game. They said no. And Im glad they did. If anyone knows anything about the history of the Tribes franchise, they'll know Vivendi/Sierra were a big part of effing it up and closing down Dynamix. Garage Games wants to revive their baby without any control or influence from the likes of Vivendi and more power to them. I just hope this browser thing works out.

I'll say it again..fuck Vivendi.
This comment was edited on Jan 18, 22:32.

16. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 16:59  dsmart 

This is why Legions will not be just another shooter.

Complete.utter.rubbish.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

15. Fallen (blah): Legions Jan 18, 2008, 15:14 C.S. Pariah

I am probably the only person who saw this announcement and did a double-take because I thought it had something to do with Legions, the expansion pack to Asheron's Call 2: Fallen Kings.

14. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 15:00 Jerykk

....and you know this how? Pray tell.

1. The game is entirely web-based.
2. The game will use jetpacks which completely changes the gameplay dynamics. Whereas generic shooters require movement only on a single plane, jetpacks force the player to consider movement on both the horizontal and vertical. Things like momentum and trajectory suddenly become all too important, which leads to...
3. Combat isn't a simple matter of taking cover, popping out and shooting at an opponent's head. With the significantly increased mobility afforded by jetpacks, leading your target and predicting where they will be in a few seconds becomes essential.

This is why Legions will not be just another shooter.

13. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 12:42  dsmart 

Legions will actually try to do something unique in today's climate of generic shooters.

....and you know this how? Pray tell.

12. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 11:57 Jerykk

I think it's fairly obvious that this game is inspired by Tribes.

As for why Garage Games would want to make another Tribes? Oh, I don't know. Why would you want to make another space sim? Why would anyone want to make anything?

And I definitely wouldn't call Legions "just another shooter." CoD4? Just another shooter. Turok? Just another shooter. Legions will actually try to do something unique in today's climate of generic shooters.

11. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 10:56 Pubknight

You're right, it's not Tribes... thus the reason I said here's hoping it is the spiritual successor.

As for whether it is related to Tribes, I disagree. Look at the developers, look at their backgrounds, heck, just look at the screenshots. I believe it is related.
Possibly 2nd cousin twice removed related, but related nonetheless.

With respect to the 'why would they want to', that is a tougher question.
Perhaps because there has been nothing since that has facilitated comparable gameplay?
Perhaps because these are a lot of the guys that made Tribes, and this would be a way to get their game back under their own control?

And I have no doubt that your previous comment still stands.
That doesn't make it less wrong.
My assertion was simply that "if" this game is able to capture what it seems to be aspiring to capture, then it has a good chance of not just being "yet.another.shooter".
It has a chance to be something different.

And surely you can appreciate the hope, even if it is a blind hope at this stage, for something different.

10. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 10:41  dsmart 

Pubknight - pay attention.

1. This is not Tribes

2. This is not even related to Tribes

3. Why would they want to make another Tribes?

4. My previous comment still stands

9. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 10:05 Pubknight

dsmart - Tribes wasn't just any other shooter.

For the people that did play Tribes (the original, not the disappointing sequels), there really has been nothing like it since. The game created a very compelling dynamic that is difficult to explain if one did not experience it.

Here's to hoping this is the true spiritual successor to T1.

8. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2008, 09:27  dsmart 

yet.another.shooter.

Yay?

7. LOL Jan 18, 2008, 09:11 loomy

The beta test they mention doesn't even exist. That might have something to do with their website looking like it was made by a child.

6. Re: Well Jan 17, 2008, 22:58 Kosumo

/prays he can use his atari 2600 joystick with this.

5. Re: Well Jan 17, 2008, 22:42 Jerykk

/prays this isn't too dumbed down.

4. Well Jan 17, 2008, 22:25 Surf

I think I may have been actually correct that this is an engine entirely run through a web interface and not executed through a web interface running some massive downloaded setup file. Will have to wait and see.

I believe they have created some kind of streaming tech that hosts the game and sends data real time with a minimal client. Again, speculation, and we shall see.

I do NOT think this will have bases and devices to deploy like tribes. I bet it will be simple caputre the flag and go. But, if it does well, maybe they will add this ability in. Who knows.

Here's to seeing what happens!

3. Re: web-based FPS Jan 17, 2008, 22:24 ViRGE

Apparently it's only launched through a browser, it's otherwise a full application. The idea here is that they want to the integrated community route, similar to T2 except everything is part of the web instead of stuffing everything inside of the game client.

2. web-based FPS Jan 17, 2008, 22:07 James

What's the advantage to playing the game through a web browser? I thought their Torque engine was cross-platform anyway, so I can't understand what other advantages would be...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo