Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Left 4 Summer

Shacknews has news that Left 4 Dead will not be out in "early 2008" as last predicted (story). Word is the multiplayer zombie game by Valve's newly acquired Turtle Rock Studios is now due in August or September.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: This just stinks. Period. Jan 13, 2008, 16:25 Acragas

No matter how you spin it, this absolutely and utterly stinks. Period. If you weren't sure of that before, you know now.

Maybe they just want to make sure the game is actually good? I mean, that would actually make sense, rather than the absurd conspiracy theories that have been spun here.

As a fan of the game, wouldn't you rather that it was good, too?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. ... Jan 13, 2008, 15:53 theyarecomingforyou

Do you think they would try to blend it into the half-life world like portal?
It's possible but they didn't with Team Fortress 2, so there's no trend to suggest they would.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

34. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 22:47 Krovven

when the story was released in August of last year?

Because it wasn't. L4D was delayed until Spring in August. This is the delay from Spring to late Summer.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, CoH Opposing Fronts, Puzzle Quest, The Witcher, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews

33. No subject Jan 12, 2008, 18:00 Happyclam

My question is why is Blues picking it up now when the story was released in August of last year?

32. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 16:40 Kosumo

so they can bundle it with Ep3

Do you think they would try to blend it into the half-life world like portal?

31. Re: This just stinks. Period. Jan 12, 2008, 16:37 Sempai

I bought OJ Box and dont regret it but the fact that these fat assed greedy bastards announce their wonderful games and set a time frame for its release then ALWAYS push it back to the following Christmas is just getting old and predictable.

30. This just stinks. Period. Jan 12, 2008, 16:15 Sir Graves

It does.

But I'm not gonna lie, as a diehard zombie movie/horror shooter fan yeah, I'll still get it when it does come out SOMEDAY (bet it won't be Aug or Sept), but I can honestly say that with this shockingly long new delay I've officially lost interest in it FOR NOW, that's for dang sure.

Time to put this one on the back burner and forget about it for a while (or I'll go nuts). Come the Fall I'll see what's doin' with it (for its inevitable Holiday '08 or post-Holiday '09 release). I'll definitely stop rabidly checking the fan sites daily and stuff till then. Cuz this is now gonna be a while.

No matter how you spin it, this absolutely and utterly stinks. Period. If you weren't sure of that before, you know now.

29. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 15:57 HardCore

Being on the heels of the Valve acquisition I just think it's Valve wanting it to be up to their standards. Furthermore I'm sure the devs would have liked more time to do some more things rather than pushing to button it up (always somewhat of a cluster) but lacked the funds, that has changed. That is a good thing.

28. No subject Jan 12, 2008, 15:06 WyldKat

Just a side thought..

Maybe they are delaying it so they can bundle it with Ep3 and Portal 2... <3

27. Re: 8 months = greed! Jan 12, 2008, 15:04 WyldKat

"delay delay delay, money money money, greed greed greed, thats all I hear from games companies these days. How about maybe letting a game sell on its own merits? "

umm wtf?

You're wrong. The Orange box was a killer deal. You can't honestly tell me that you wouldn't have bought at least two of the games for $20 each. Hell it was a great deal for me because I haven't played Ep1 yet and yes, I gifted HL2 to a friend that had never played it.

Valve is one of the few gaming companies out there that seems to be ran by the gamer, not the suits. After the Orange Box with Ep2 and Portal greatness, they left a good taste in my mouth.

...it tasted like cake.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 15:05.

26. ... Jan 12, 2008, 13:24 theyarecomingforyou

delay delay delay, money money money, greed greed greed, thats all I hear from games companies these days. How about maybe letting a game sell on its own merits? Orange Box 2, no thanks.
But the thing is that The Orange Box bundle proved to be very good for both Valve and the consumer because it provided better value and gave players of Team Fortress 2 more people to play against. If they hadn't done that then there would have been less people playing and it would have been a worse experience for the consumer. Anyone that really didn't want Portal (which is related to Ep2), Peggle Extreme or Team Fortress 2 was able to buy Episode 2 on its own.

I hope the situation will be similar with Ep3. Personally I thought The Orange Box was brilliant value even though I already owned HL2 and Ep1, whereas Ep2 on its own (even cheaper) wouldn't have provided the same value.

I had begun to lose faith in Valve after Episode 1 (very linear, gimmicky, dull, forgettable and too short) but The Orange Box proved that they are one of the best developers about. If they believe delaying L4D is a good idea then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt... we will see later whether their decision was good or not.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

25. Re: 8 months = greed! Jan 12, 2008, 13:13 sponge

But oh no, Bilbo is right, it's greed! Valve wants to lose that kind of money!!!!1!!!~!

It's clearly part of Valve's master plan to milk gamers of their money by pissing them off. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

24. :( Jan 12, 2008, 13:01 Krovven

Still looking forward to L4D probably more than any other PC game at the moment. Sucks that its been delayed, again.

Lots of stuff to keep me occupied in the meantime though.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, CoH Opposing Fronts, Puzzle Quest, The Witcher, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews

23. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 12:49 Rilcon

Delaying a game is the best thing that can happen to it. Just one month is enough to turn a pile of shit into something halfway fun.

22. Re: No subject Jan 12, 2008, 12:45 Wade

No, fuck you for being such a prick. God forbid the game is delayed because some important part of it -- y'know the human-controlled zombie part -- still has TONS of work still to do to get it properly working and balanced?

Nah -- of course not -- it HAS to be greed!

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 12:51.

21. Re: 8 months = greed! Jan 12, 2008, 12:23 Beamer

delay delay delay, money money money, greed greed greed, thats all I hear from games companies these days.

An 8 month delay = lack of greed.

Think about it. 8 more months of sitting on the game, at the very best. At the very worst 8 more months of paying people to work on the game.

That's hundreds of thousands of dollars lost.

But oh no, Bilbo is right, it's greed! Valve wants to lose that kind of money!!!!1!!!~!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. No subject Jan 12, 2008, 10:49 Nameless Again

(said in my best Gomer Pyle voice) Surprise, surprise, surprise!!

Well of course they're going to push it back to bundle it with Ep. 3. And of course Episode 3 won't be ready in August. Do any of you remember how long Ep. 2 was in development?? Which means it will get pushed back again. And...as stated, when it does finally come out, we'll all get to re-gift our shit, yet again. Yay!

Fuck you, Valve.

19. Re: 8 months = greed! Jan 12, 2008, 09:12 Wade

Before all you ridiculous anti-Valve jihadists get too wrapped up in spreading your filth, according to the guy over at Shacknews that Valve spoke to, the reason for the delay is that there is still quite a bit of work on the player-controlled zombie side to do. So far, all that the previewers have played is the player-controlled human side which is complete, but that's just one half of the equation.

18. 8 months = greed! Jan 12, 2008, 08:24 Bilbo

delay delay delay, money money money, greed greed greed, thats all I hear from games companies these days. How about maybe letting a game sell on its own merits? Orange Box 2, no thanks. "But you can buy all these games you already have and give them to your friends!" I hear you say, no I would rather buy the 1 game in the pack I actually want at a lower price you rip off bastards.

Money talks and Bullshit (Valve) walks

17. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jan 12, 2008, 04:24 Geheme

At least we have this mod http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo