Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Acquires Turtle Rock Studios

Valve announces they have acquired Turtle Rock Studios, developers of the upcoming Left 4 Dead:

January 10, 2008 - Fresh off the success of The Orange Box, the 2007 game of the year award-winning collection of new games heralded as "the best value in gaming history," Valve Corporation announces the acquisition of Turtle Rock Studios, the Orange County-based development house behind one of 2008's most anticipated games, Left 4 Dead.

Valve was founded in 1996 and has grown to become one of the game industry's leading technology and content creators, with a portfolio of over 20 million games sold worldwide. The merger of the two companies extends Valve's development team and provides the company with a new studio in southern California.
Turtle Rock Studios' Left 4 Dead joins a growing list of Valve's game properties which includes the Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat series of games as well as Portal, introduced as part of The Orange Box.

"We have been seeing very strong growth with Steam and Source, our content distribution and development platforms, up over 150% over the last 12 months. Given our expectations for Left 4 Dead and our long-standing relationships with members of the Turtle Rock team, this was an easy decision. It also gives us a base from which to expand our development activities in the Los Angeles area," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve.

"Left 4 Dead fills a long-standing demand gamers have had for a coop first-person action experience, and it will also help Valve's expansion into the console market," added Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing.

"Valve has had great success bringing in projects and teams such as Team Fortress and Portal. As I spent time working and talking with the creators of those products over the past several years, it became clear that this was the right next step for myself, my colleagues at Turtle Rock, our customers, and our products," said Michael Booth, founder and CEO of Turtle Rock Studios. "We are excited to be a part of such a visionary and forward-thinking company."

Founded in 2002 by Michael Booth, Turtle Rock Studios is the creator of Left 4 Dead, named one 2008's most wanted titles by many of today's leading game-enthusiast publications and Web sites.

For more information on Valve, its games, or the Steam platform, please visit www.steamgames.com

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Awesome. Jan 11, 2008, 03:01 rist3903

I am really looking forward to left4dead. Looks like it will be fun as hell.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. ... Jan 10, 2008, 21:08 theyarecomingforyou

Oh please, we're talking about Turtle Rock Studios... they were practically part of Valve before this. They developed content primarily around the Half-Life / Source engines and were contracted to provide extra content for Valve. NEway, it's a perfectly legitimate business tactic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: ... Jan 10, 2008, 20:20 Dr.Del

Steam is the root of all that is evil.

1. Build Steam.
2. Invite small dev companies to sell their games on Steam.
3. Take a %age of the sale as the gravy.
4. Monitor the stats of all games sold.
5. Acquire small dev companies with the highest sales.
6. Rinse, repeat.

1, 2, 3 and 4 are acceptable business practices.

5 and 6 are a little less appealing.

- DrDel

27. ... Jan 10, 2008, 19:59 theyarecomingforyou

I think what we may see is another Orange Box combo deal, with L4D, Lost Souls, and maybe Ep.3 release?
I too think this is a possibility, despite the L4D release date supposedly being early-2008. I know that I probably wouldn't buy it individually but would buy it bundled with Ep3. We'll have to wait and see.

NEway, this is a good move. TRS developed a lot of the additional maps for CSSource and will hopefully be used to quickly add more maps to Team Fortress 2. This would give TF2 fans what they want and delay L4D to coincide with Ep3. Hmmm... this must be the first time that I've requested a game be delayed. Perhaps I've lost the plot.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. Re: Bah, Jan 10, 2008, 19:18 nomar

Screw that noise,im still waiting for Valves Power play!

25. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 19:15 sponge

IMO, this is just a formality. Turtle Rock were essentially Valve as it is.

24. No subject Jan 10, 2008, 18:55 Hump

I though Turtle Rock was already a part of Valve Corp. How dumb I was!

Not THAT dumb, I had thought the same thing.... and I pride myself on keeping up with the latest industry shit.

I think what we may see is another Orange Box combo deal, with L4D, Lost Souls, and maybe Ep.3 release?

very very nice call. I never thought of that but I'd bet a weeks pay thats what they're going to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Jan 10, 18:59.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

23. Re: another combo deal Jan 10, 2008, 18:49 PHJF

EA's Burnaby office has more than that just in their QA department.

If EA had a QA department they'd never release another game.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: another combo deal Jan 10, 2008, 16:29 Krovven

L4D is due out in a few months...chances of seeing Ep3 in that time is nil.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, CoH Opposing Fronts, Puzzle Quest, The Witcher, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews

21. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 16:26 Krovven

HardCore - Valve has plenty of money for them to go around.

They ARE the publisher for Left 4 Dead. What exactly is so different from them hiring the Portal, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat developers? None, other than they weren't established dev studios at the time.

As for all the things you say they should spend the money on...they are. You don't know what else they have on the go internally, they are always building new technology, more servers, support, and the Save Game feature was announced a long while back...it's coming.

Valve is a very small company, considering what they do when compared to other companies. Last I heard they were around 150 employees.

EA's Burnaby office has more than that just in their QA department.

Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, CoH Opposing Fronts, Puzzle Quest, The Witcher, Shadowgrounds Survivor.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews

20. another combo deal Jan 10, 2008, 16:11 Rosco

Consoles are schwag.

19. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 15:44 Wade

Okey dokey -- here is the link to the thread on IGN where NeoMaxims (the IGN name of the writer) talks about his role in the project:

http://boards.ign.com/pc_general_board/b5027/156550034/p2

18. Thats it! This week I'm buying somebody! Jan 10, 2008, 15:35  dsmart 

All this industry consolidation is going to make me wake up one morning and, well, buy somebody. ANYBODY!!! Who wants to be left out of this buying spree?

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

17. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 15:31 HardCore

Seems like a strange way to spend money for Valve. They should spend more an another in house project, more technology, more support for their games, more for server space for steam with things like maintaining save games online so when you go to a different PC your save games are optionally downloaded too.

Buying developers out is too similar to what a publisher does. I'd hate to see all the dividends from steam guide them into that mentality. Then inevitably as their size grows they will not be any better than the corporate bean counters of publishers today.

Currently I think Steam is great but their is no guarantee it will stay that way.

16. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 15:19 Krovven

It's a little difficult for me to provide a link for my info as it was told to me by the writer himself in a thread on IGN

Then there would be a link and you could find it by searching on the forum.

15. Re: L4D Jan 10, 2008, 15:14 sponge

Could really use some RPG elements. Such as a global map and you choose where to go. maybe to site A to get ammo or better weapons, site B to find survivors or maybe talk with others about a cure. Just little elements, not talking skills and levels, to make this move away from just run and gun.

Cut scenes would be nice too.

Sounds boring already. Dead Rising wasn't THAT good.

14. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 15:04 Wade

It's a little difficult for me to provide a link for my info as it was told to me by the writer himself in a thread on IGN when we were talking about games upcoming for 2008.

That's why you haven't seen anything from this game in ages.

13. Re: L4D Jan 10, 2008, 15:01 Krovven

maybe to site A to get ammo or better weapons, site B to find survivors or maybe talk with others about a cure.

Maybe read some previews, or watch some videos before making requests...that already exist.

If someone dies and doesn't get revived by a team-member they will respawn in a room farther ahead on the map. They must be released by their teammates.

There are weapons/ammo/health caches along the way so you can change up your weapons and pick up more ammo, heal up etc...basically allowing your team to re-group.

I'm not sure what kind of game you think L4D is, but it's a Coop run & gun survival game. 4 human players on the Survivors side, and up to 4 human players controlling the boss zombies.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 15:18.

12. L4D Jan 10, 2008, 14:54 Surf

Could really use some RPG elements. Such as a global map and you choose where to go. maybe to site A to get ammo or better weapons, site B to find survivors or maybe talk with others about a cure. Just little elements, not talking skills and levels, to make this move away from just run and gun.

Cut scenes would be nice too.

11. No subject Jan 10, 2008, 13:44 xXBatmanXx

I am happy to see this - even if it means a delay - hopefully developers that worked on the HL2 games will be involved now as the videos and gameplay I saw for L4D - it seemed like it really needed some polish to get it to "feel" right.....seemed little like arcade play....hard to explain.

This can only be good - we aren't talking about EA here. heheheheh

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo