Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Ron Gilbert Game

Hothead Games announces that Ron Gilbert, designer of the famed Monkey Island series, has signed on as their new Creative Director. This comes within the announcement and that they will be publishing his next game, DeathSpank, an episodic adventure described as "Monkey Island meets Diablo." The preliminary DeathSpank website is online, offering "Orphans of Justice" as the title of the first episode, which is said to be "coming soonish." Here's the announcement:

The Great White North, January 9, 2008 Ė In a move that may upset the balance of the universe (or at least that around the 49th parallel), Hothead Games announced plans to publish Ron Gilbert's long-awaited RPG-Adventure game, DeathSpank. Described as "Monkey Island meets Diablo", the game will be released in episodic format and feature Gilbert's unique style of humor and storytelling. In a related move, Ron Gilbert will be joining the companyís Vancouver-based studio as Creative Director, effective immediately.

Speaking from his secret game design cave, Ron Gilbert said, "I've spent over four years trying to find the right publisher for this strange little game. Now that Iíve done it, you just know that somewhere four horsemen are saddling up."

The episodic game follows the thong-tastic adventures of a misguided hero named DeathSpank, a character that first appeared on Gilbert's Grumpy Gamer website in a series of animated comics he penned with long-time creative collaborator, Clayton Kauzlaric.

Hothead prepared for Gilbert's arrival by ordering the finest morsels of jellied moose meat and lager brewed with water from the nearest available glacier. "We're all huge fans of Monkey Island and we love Ron's unique vision and sense of humor," said Joel DeYoung, COO of Hothead Games. "Ron shares Hotheadís goal of bringing much-needed humor and innovation into games, so having him here in Vancouver as our Creative Director is an excellent fit."

"I'm really excited to be working with Hothead Games not only on DeathSpank, but as their new Creative Director," said Gilbert. "I got to know everyone at Hothead while I was helping with On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. They really understand humor and being creative like very few publishers do."

As Creative Director, Gilbert will work in the Vancouver-based studio on all of Hotheadís games. He is also expected to improve his hockey skills substantially during his stay.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Jan 10, 2008, 10:20 kimbambaman

Sounds good indeed, but when I saw that art on the Deathspank page... well, it scared the hell out of me. Not attracting.

ACK! MY EYES!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Holy crap...that art direction is just...wow. I really hope thats just some crappy concept art they pushed out to put something out there.

"Commandment number one: Shut the hell up!"-Moses Griffin,Family Guy

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: "Monkey Island meets Diablo" Jan 10, 2008, 03:21 Eldaron Imotholin

Sounds good indeed, but when I saw that art on the Deathspank page... well, it scared the hell out of me. Not attracting.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

9. "Monkey Island meets Diablo" Jan 9, 2008, 22:58 Golem

Sounds good to me. Not sure I like the episodic release model but depending on the price to entertainment ratio it could work for me.

8. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:38 cappy

There's also the former LucasArts folks doing "A Vampyre Story" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vampyre_Story

7. Episodic... Jan 9, 2008, 18:35 JohnBirshire

I'm not a fan of this episodic phenomenon whatsoever, playing games in little pieces as they are released every couple months seems to be a chore. I am sure there are some people that love this delivery, but it seems as if they would be a minority. However, if this was financially successful for Sam & Max, I'm sure we'll see more and more of it in the future.

6. Ron Jeremy? Jan 9, 2008, 18:30 Wildone

I thought he made pron, wheres kobe tai when u need her..

5. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:20 Beamer

Episodic - Bad!
Ron Gilbert - Perfect!

Will be watching this one closely. But I recall making a very similar post when Hellgate was first announced.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. No subject Jan 9, 2008, 16:04 Mangrove

sweeet

3. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 16:00 G-Man

I for one am totally pumped about this news! I can't wait to see what Ron pulls together with the Hothead team.

2. No subject Jan 9, 2008, 14:07 WyldKat

I would be excited about this if it weren't episodic. I guess I'll have to wait till they are all combined in one package. :\

1. No subject Jan 9, 2008, 13:49 Ecthelion

Very cool. First we got Steve Purcell working with Telltale to make the new Sam and Max games, and now this. I hope Hothead will join Telltale to prove that episodic gaming works, when done right.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo