Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Portal: First Slice for GeForce Owners

Valve announces the release of Portal: First Slice for free for owners of NVIDIA GeForce accelerators, offering a sample of Portal, their first-person puzzler, to those who favor their favored hardware:

January 9, 2008 - The most recent Steam® Hardware Survey (http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html) shows more Steam gamers play on NVIDIA GeForce hardware than any other graphics platform. In an effort to further support this popular PC gaming configuration - Steam games plus NVIDIA hardware - Valve and NVIDIA have entered into an agreement to collaborate on development, distribution, events, and more.

Effective immediately, all NVIDIA gamers may receive a free copy of Portal™: First Slice, a special version of the award-winning new game from Valve, by visiting www.steamgames.com/nvidia1 and "Taking the test." Steam will then auto-detect the presence of NVIDIA hardware and make Portal: First Slice available immediately, free of charge. To make it easy for all NVIDIA customers to redeem this offer, a link to the Steam offer will also be included in all NVIDIA drivers.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: I could be wrong... Jun 14, 2008, 07:33 the

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2009, 09:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 11, 2008, 04:03 Prez

Best you stick with that wacko conspiracy website you have in your sig. Knowing you are into that stuff explains a lot.

LOL! Actually, I found that site fascinating. I love good conspiracy theories!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 18:20 xXBatmanXx

It's the first four levels from the original game.

What is that, about 10 minutes of game time?

Depends on how you play or listen.
It took me a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes for the first 4 levels when I played the game the first time.
Lots of looking at every single inch of the maps.

oh well.

People will bitch - even when something is free....

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

42. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 17:58 Belgradar

KARmA you loser steam hater

worked sweet for me that karma for steam haters

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 17:59.

41. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 10:04 nin

Hey mOOzilla, if you had the problem you say you had with steam and valve, why are you even bothering with their free demos?

Exactly...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: No subject Jan 10, 2008, 08:30 basis

Yes I too had that problem. I think there's 19 puzzles. I'm not sure why there's this bug

39. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 08:22 cronik

It's the first four levels from the original game.

What is that, about 10 minutes of game time?

38. No subject Jan 10, 2008, 02:28 SamuraiSaint

I'd been resisting Steam forever, so I thought I might give this a try.

I downloaded and installed Steam, set up an account, and clicked the button to download this demo.

After I accepted an enormous and unread EULA, I was served with an error message that this demo had "already been registered to a different account", or some such nonsense.

I immediately closed and uninstalled Steam. It's crap, just as I suspected.

I am sorry but you are flat out an idiot. plain and simple.

37. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 01:51 PropheT

That means their focus is on pushing NV orientated products.

Why they are limiting products to specific hardware is stupid, they are just limiting their revenue potential. Demo or not, its not a good idea, it seems they are making more money from NV than the "user" in this case since they are bending over for NV.

I find that extraordinarily unlikely, considering that I got the entire Orange Box for free by buying an ATI card.

36. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 00:34 Kosumo

Hey mOOzilla, if you had the problem you say you had with steam and valve, why are you even bothering with their free demos?

To badly quote some famous dude whose name I cant spell "Me think he dose protest to much" - sorry to the William Shakespeare's fan in the broad for the lack of what he acturely said but if I had to look it up I would just be cheating.

35. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 10, 2008, 00:04 mOOzilla

"In an effort to further support this popular PC gaming configuration - Steam games plus NVIDIA hardware"

That means their focus is on pushing NV orientated products.

That is their "effort" that is their own words.

As for lost coast, its a pile of crap.

Why they are limiting products to specific hardware is stupid, they are just limiting their revenue potential. Demo or not, its not a good idea, it seems they are making more money from NV than the "user" in this case since they are bending over for NV.

http://www.rense.com/general79/wdx1.htm

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

34. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 9, 2008, 22:47 The Half Elf

Enahs if you have a Geforce Desktop machine... why would you need to download it anywhere else?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

33. No subject Jan 9, 2008, 22:30 jfedor

On my PC, after passing testchamber 10, the game freezes on a "loading" screen. Anyone else gets that? Is that the end of the "slice"?

32. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 9, 2008, 21:36 Rufus

I'd been resisting Steam forever, so I thought I might give this a try.

I downloaded and installed Steam, set up an account, and clicked the button to download this demo.

After I accepted an enormous and unread EULA, I was served with an error message that this demo had "already been registered to a different account", or some such nonsense.

I immediately closed and uninstalled Steam. It's crap, just as I suspected.

31. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 9, 2008, 20:29 Enahs

Just FYI, if you do want this and have a ATI product. Just load up steam on any computer with an NVIDIA card you can borrow, or a laptop or something.

I loaded by steam account up on my laptop and it allowed me to get the HL2DM/Lost Cost free deal as it has an integrated ATI video card.

It is then in my account and is loadable on my Geforce desktop machine.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

30. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 19:43 SirKnight

So I already have Portal and it's still installed and everything. I went to download First Slice and nothing happened. I guess since First Slice is really the same thing as the full Portal (except only a few levels of it), Steam didn't see any point in downloading it.

I was really hoping it would be a demo sort of like the half-life demo where it featured a mission not in the full game. Oh well.

29. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:57 Fion

Since when does Valve not bend over backwards to accommodate ATI users and insist Nvidia products won't run their games nearly as well?

Seriously though, the first 4 levels of the game is like.. 15 seconds of gameplay lol. It's certainly no 'free HL2, free HL2 DM' that some ATI users got.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 18:59.

28. No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:47 rist3903

More cake please.

27. Re: I could be wrong... Jan 9, 2008, 18:41 Ant

Elf Shot The Food and Ecthelion: Thank you!!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:14 MacD

Now that's a dumb comment on two levels. I'd say that an 'extended demo' (or whatever) does point to something more than a standard demo, and reaching that conclusion is a typical case of 'reading between the lines'.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo