Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've made a few resolutions for the new year, covering an unusual range of topics. One of them is to use the word "maths" at an appropriate moment at least once during the year. I've never used the word as a plural in my life, and every time I hear someone say it that way it sounds so intelligent, I cannot help be impressed.

Resolved Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Presidential Pong. Thanks User Friendly.
Stories: Oscar planners: The show will go on. There's no scripting a train wreck anyway.
Homeless, With a New Loss: Identity.
These guys have got to be hustlers...
Science: Time Travel in the Brain. I was contemplating this very thought just the other day.
A drink a day for a longer life: study.
Images: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Time-Space Paradoxes.
Media: The Big Bang Theory - WoW. Thanks Nuke.
Jedi Ginsu knife.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 20:23 Warhawk

I was concerned that it wouldn't output audio to my older 5.1 receiver AND output the video to my TV via HDMI

I believe most players/receivers/dish units are outputting on all available channels simultaneously anyways. I have my main dish unit plugged into a couple different TV's using multiple outputs and my DVD player is hooked up to my receiver with both HDMI and analog (analog for the Zone 2 feature on the receiver, since it can't be a digital input). I can have the same CD/DVD source playing on both Zones simultaneously, so it does both digital and analog output at the same time.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And we’re out of beta, we’re releasing on time
So I’m GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 11:38 Bronco

I have to admit, I enjoyed that movie a little.

Just a little? I thought it was better than average by far.

The closing credits were full of win.

-TPFKAS2S

40. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 11:24 nin

I made her watch Superbad last week

I have to admit, I enjoyed that movie a little.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

39. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 11:18 Bronco

Huh? What? Are you sure?

I will take a look this weekend and see. My wife picked out some horrible chick movie since I made her watch Superbad last week.

I was considering an upconverting player as a stop gap issue but I was concerned that it wouldn't output audio to my older 5.1 receiver AND output the video to my TV via HDMI.

-TPFKAS2S

38. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 10:06 Enahs

But I disagree with the term "huge". Huge is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose ...

That is just what your wife told you to make you feel better about yourself.

ba-da-bing!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

37. Re: Oscars etc Jan 10, 2008, 09:17 Mr. Tact

I just can't understand it.
If the problem is that the people who script the shows are on strike, why don't they just make more 'Reality TV' programs?

;-)

I assume, especially with the smiley, that you are being facetious. However, anyone who actually watches any "Reality" TV should carefully consider your statement.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 08:23 kanniballl

Funny thing is I just picked up a new Pioneer "upconverting" player and it didn't look one iota better than what I can watch on my 360 elite, so back it went.

For the record, I was going to go HD, but it'll be blu-ray now...when the prices for players and dics come down to a sane amount.

Well, for starters for an upconverting player to work it needs to be connected via HDMI, and not component.

Personally I don't see any major difference when I decide to upconvert my DVD. Unless my TV is doing some upconverting on its own that I don't know about, I don't think it's worth the money to get an upconverting DVD player; you're better off just getting a BluRay player.

I went the HD-DVD route only because of Heroes: Season 1, but I primarily use Netflix. Between a sale and a gift card I'd forgotten about the Toshiba HD-DVD player I have cost less than $50 USD. So between the player and Heroes I'm out maybe $100 which is no big loss.

At some point in the near future I'll pick up a PS3 for the BluRay and the game Uncharted.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

35. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 10, 2008, 05:41 Cutter

Funny thing is I just picked up a new Pioneer "upconverting" player and it didn't look one iota better than what I can watch on my 360 elite, so back it went.

For the record, I was going to go HD, but it'll be blu-ray now...when the prices for players and dics come down to a sane amount.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 23:39 banddirector

If it was an "HD" broadcast it was poorly done with lots of compression.

That may be it; the other reasons were false. But I disagree with the term "huge". Huge is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose ...

-----------------------------------
Don't be a stoop, spread your goop

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

33. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 21:21 Enahs

I examined a regular DVD (upconverted) side by side with an HD broadcast of The Incredibles, and I had to use freeze frame to see the differences. I did a blind test on the Mrs. and she couldn't tell the difference at all.

This means one of the following.
The TV sucked.
The broadcast was not HD, just digital.
If it was a "HD" broadcast it was poorly done with lots of compression.

There is a huge difference.

My bet is it was just digital. I mean, even if it is at 720P resolution does not mean anything if their source is not HD; they are just up-converting then too.

- W. C. Fields

32. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 20:13 banddirector

I examined a regular DVD (upconverted) side by side with an HD broadcast of The Incredibles, and I had to use freeze frame to see the differences. I did a blind test on the Mrs. and she couldn't tell the difference at all.

I'll probably get a BD player someday, but not until the price drops well below $200 ...

31. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 18:01 Warhawk

While waiting for the format war to work itself out, I picked up a cheapy HDMI upconverting DVD player.

Same here, BD. I had an upconverting changer already, but sold it to my sister and got an HDMI upconverting changer when I put my new system together. I really see no need for HD yet given my satisfaction with it. I sincerely doubt I (or most others, for that matter) would really notice a big difference between upconverted DVD and HD (as I have seen both and they are pretty darn close picture-wise). It's not like the step up between VHS and DVD by any measure, and DVD already has my 5.1 sound covered....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

30. Re: Mathematicses Jan 9, 2008, 17:43 Bhruic

I feel sad the letters B and H cannot get together more often.

That's a problem I rarely have.

29. Oscars etc Jan 9, 2008, 17:27 UnderLord

I just can't understand it.
If the problem is that the people who script the shows are on strike, why don't they just make more 'Reality TV' programs?

;-)

28. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:40 Enahs

I would if my DVD player outputted 480p

Huh? What? Are you sure?

I am still using a 8 year old DVD player in my bedroom and it outputs 480P. I did not even know it was possible to get one that does not do 480P?

- W. C. Fields

27. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:26 banddirector

While waiting for the format war to work itself out, I picked up a cheapy HDMI upconverting DVD player. Not quite as nice as HD, but the 1080p upconversion looks quite a bit better than 480 (p or i)

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 16:27.

26. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:25 nin

Looks like bye-bye HD-DVD....

They're toast...thedigitalbits.com has all the info...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:09 Bronco

Well, at least use 480P!

Tard!

I would if my DVD player outputted 480p

-TPFKAS2S

24. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 16:06 Warhawk

I too wish they would just kill one

Same here. I was kinda hoping HD-DVD would win, but we need to just declare one winner and get moving.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10288

Paramount has denied reports claiming that it will be dropping support for HD DVD. Company spokeswoman Brenda Ciccone wrote in an email received by Bloomberg, “Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format.”

According to the report, Paramount has a clause in its contract with the HD DVD Group allowing it to back out from the agreement should Warner exclusively support Blu-ray Disc. Keisuke Ohmori, a spokesman for Toshiba, commented that the FT report was speculation.

While Paramount has denied that its current plan is to drop HD DVD support, the studio did not comment on its supposed contract clause. A similar response was received by High-Def Digest: “We are still supporting HD DVD,” a Paramount spokesperson told the website.

While HD DVD owners should take some solace in Paramount’s words, the studio is saying little else to reaffirm its future plans for the high-definition format – instead repeating that its current strategy is still status quo.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10240

Warner’s announcement last week of Blu-ray Disc exclusivity had a ripple effect on more than just one home video company’s releases. Warner Home Video also distributes New Line, HBO and BBC Video products, leaving some to wonder if Blu-ray Disc just gained an entire stable of studio support.

According to Variety, New Line and HBO will follow Warner’s lead to side only with Blu-ray Disc. BBC Video, the company behind the popular high-definition nature documentary Planet Earth, has not yet publicly expressed its intentions with format exclusivity.

Perhaps the most important outcome of New Line's upcoming decision is that the studio owns the rights to The Lord of The Rings trilogy. Should the (second) most compelling motion picture trilogy hit high-definition home video, it’ll be on Blu-ray Disc.

And last but not least:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10234

The news just continues to sour for the HD DVD camp. Earlier today, DailyTech reported that Warner Bros. decided to go Blu-ray exclusive by the end of May 2008. Warner Bros. executives backed their decision by saying that the move was beneficial for consumers.

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," stated Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group President Kevin Tsujihara.

It looks as though the fallout from the Warner Bros. move is coming fast and furiously. The DailyTech inbox was just moments ago greeted with the following message from a Toshiba representative regarding CES press meetings and the scheduled HD DVD press conference:

Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, the HD DVD Promotional Group has decided to cancel 1:1 press meetings at CES, in addition to the press conference that was scheduled for Sunday evening. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Looks like bye-bye HD-DVD....

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 16:07.

23. Re: So HD is dead, eh? Jan 9, 2008, 15:22 Enahs

The old DVD's look sort of shitty in 480i on it.

Well, at least use 480P!

Tard!

- W. C. Fields

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo