Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Go big blue! I hope Ronde Barber enjoys watching next week's game from the comfort of his living room.

Winning Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link of the Morning: The Nietzsche Family Circus. Thanks Hump.
Stories: 10 mph motorway driver given ban. Thanks Neatorama. I've been behind her.
Hidden Room, Hidden Danger.
McDonald's coffee bars to take on Starbucks: report.
Science: G.M. to Show a Vehicle That Drives by Itself. Hopefully faster than 10 mph.
Economists Say Movie Violence Might Temper the Real Thing.
Issue May Really Be How Far Players Will Go to Gain an Advantage. Thanks for clarifying.
Media: One reason to eat pudding: Shatner eats it. Here's another.
Follow-up: WGA signs deal with United Artists.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 02:41 Armengar

Actually I was wrong. There isn't a minimum speed limit. Your vehicle must be CAPABLE of at least 30mph. Sorry about that.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 23:37 Fang

Okay, let's work this out: I said:
the concern is that its easy to slip into a mindset that you can easily pull the trigger without any consequences.

You said:
You can. Period.

Ah, I thought you were saying that you can pull the trigger without consequences because tasers don't cause death. I realize now that wasn't what you probably meant. In my defense, the extra "Period" gave me the impression that you were trying to disagree.

And so I was just trying to say that the reason to use force still has to be valid. Because you'll always have a reason (your dog died, your wife left you, the guy looked at you funny.)

17. No subject Jan 7, 2008, 23:14 xXBatmanXx

Fang - you said no to me - then proceeded to say everything long winded, if you had just read what you quoted me as saying, "You don't taser someone for no reason".

duh.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 23:05 Fang

I have close family members who also serve, so don't get me wrong. I strongly support our police officers. However, my point is about training on deciding when to use force.

You can. Period. You have to remember, you taser the person for a reason.

No, an officer can't just taser someone walking down the street without identifying himself and for no other cause other than he was having a bad day. There are consequences, just like any other instrument of force such as a baton.

My point was focusing on the proper reasons to use force.

Why? Because someone with a pre-existing heart condition who would normally be able to live out their life just fine, but 10 taser shocks in a row would put them into cardiac arrest, then maybe the guy with the taser caused their death?

Otherwise, that's like saying guns don't kill people, blood loss does.

My point is that the bar of when to use force should not become lower just because there is a perception that there are no consequences. You don't know everyone's medical condition, so it is important to follow proper training in deciding when its necessary to use force.

I agree when force is necessary, I think tasers are great and have probably saved many lives.

For example, this officer was suspended for this incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFLFN3UY0g
He tasered the driver 45 seconds after pulling him over (for going 5 mph over the limit, the rear license plate is in the back window). He didn't give the driver time to obey his orders before tasering him.

And most departments have policies that officers should lean against tasering the really old and really young. Policies and training are there for a reason, it's important to follow them. That's all I'm saying.

15. Re: Ronde wasn't really wrong... Jan 7, 2008, 19:18 bjack

but his public shots at the coach and teammates when he was still a member of the team were ridiculous.

Yeah that was pretty crappy of Tiki. Tom Coughlin was the man who taught Tiki how to hold the football and clean up his horrible fumble-prone record.

14. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 17:45 xXBatmanXx

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have a taser. But I think it's use should continue to be viewed as harsh force. I think the concern is that its easy to slip into a mindset that you can easily pull the trigger without any consequences.

You can. Period. You have to remember, you taser the person for a reason.

In the dept I reserve for - taser is before spray, before hands on, and before baton.

In fact, a lot of the coppers I know, they don't carry spray anymore (doesn't work 80%+ of the time and the side affects on others around you and yourself are the suck) and batons are only good for breaking windows. You can fight through spray, can't fight through a taser.

Taser does not cause death. Period. It may help it along, but does not cause it. 99% of the deaths are the result of excited delirium. Even if taser DID cause deaths, the number would be so low that it wouldn't even be a statistic. It would be less than 1/100th of 1%. Tasers are used THOUSANDS of times per day.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 18:00.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

13. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 17:38 Fang

We had 6 do it this time around....and *GASP* none of them died! Amazing.

Well, how many times did you taser them? Once, or multiple times? Any of them over 55 or had a history of heart trouble? Or are they generally fit and capable of chasing down a fleeing suspect?

Now if you tasered 6 people over 55 with heart trouble multiple times (5+) and none of them died, then I'd think that's amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have a taser. But I think it's use should continue to be viewed as harsh force. I think the concern is that its easy to slip into a mindset that you can easily pull the trigger without any consequences.

Though, I'm looking forward to the day when we figure out how to safely ionize air with a laser to deliver current in a handheld weapon.

12. Re: 10 MPH Driver Jan 7, 2008, 17:05 Jim

Why is BBC News all of a sudden giving English standard units instead of metric? Have they gone back?

Jim

11. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 16:27 Narf2029

I keep popping into the local CompUSA to see if I can get anything cheap, but even with the discounts their stuff is so expensive I don't even bother. I can go to a half-dozen stores around here, pay their full price, and still spend less than some of these markdowns. After reading that article below, now I know why.

Edit- And just a one-week ban for that woman doing 10mph on an expressway? That is fatal negligence, not fear. Going that slow is going to get her or some other driver killed someday. I wish people were required to know things like that before they could get a driver's license. "But I can't get to work if I can't drive!" Tough shit - other people can't get to work when your stupidity KILLS THEM.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 16:31.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

10. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 15:51 kanniballl

Beware:
http://consumerist.com/341677/photos-compusa-raises-prices-for-liquidation-sale

When our local CompUSA was closing, there were only some nice deals. In particular, towards the end I could have purchased a SLR Digital Camera (Canon Rebel XTi) for dirt cheap (even compared to online). I was tempted, but decided against it since a friend said it might have been a returned item and I was just in the market for a small vacation camera.

By the time I visited the CompUSA it was pretty cleared out. The PCs were barely marked down but Printers and things were decent. Most of the shelves were cleared out.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 15:52.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 15:42 nin

FYI, since CompUSA is "going out of business", they've got everything but pcs and mp3 players from 15-30% off. I just got a set of Sennheiser HD465s for about $34. all games, and other hardware as well as printer ink (which is outrageous to begin with) and other stuff is all on sale too.

Beware:
http://consumerist.com/341677/photos-compusa-raises-prices-for-liquidation-sale

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: 10 MPH Driver Jan 7, 2008, 15:29 Armengar

There is a legally enforceable MINIMUM speed limit of 30mph on UK motorways. A motorway is a highway except we generally only have 3 lanes per carriageway (some areas have 4, maybe 5 when there are busy onramps)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. 10 MPH Driver Jan 7, 2008, 15:27 kanniballl

That actually annoys me, particularly how she doesn't see it as a big deal. If you don't feel confident enough to drive then don't flippin' drive. I get stuck behind slow elderly folk on occasion, doing 25 in a 40, and that's infuriating. But I'd probably lose my sh!t if I got stuck behind them going at 10.

I don't know what motorway translates into American English, but if it's anything like highway then that's dangerous.

Imagine rounding a bend in the highway at 65 MPH only to come face-to-back with a car doing 10 MPH. Or (as what happened to me), be behind a large SUV that blocks your view; they quickly change lanes to avoid a single car stopped in the middle of the highway giving you hardly any time to react (and possibly unable to switch lanes due to traffic).

If you can't drive, don't try. I'm pretty sure it's not a right in the UK just as it's not a right in the US. Too many people feel they're entitled to drive even if they don't have a license or insurance, and are thus about "this close" to ruining someone else's day/year/life.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 15:31.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Ronde wasn't really wrong... Jan 7, 2008, 14:53  Blue 

I'm not sure his comments were quite as controversial as they were made out to be - Eli is inconsistent, and Burress (though great) isn't the greatest WR around. Seems pretty innocuous to me. <shrug>

Which is why most players, including the vast number of DBs who are far better than Ronde, are smart enough not to even say anything that can be twisted to seem like a dig.

Not the Barber brothers though... both of them seem to look at the world purely through a "me" lens. Tiki's negative comments about the Giants don't bother me now that he's a commentator, as that's his job, but his public shots at the coach and teammates when he was still a member of the team were ridiculous. So I'm sure I'm still blowing off a little steam over Tiki here too.

BTW, Ronde's comments after the game were more critical of the TB offense than anything, no lessons learned there...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: No subject Jan 7, 2008, 14:36 xXBatmanXx

They have been gone from here for over 6 months.

Went to Circuit City to think about getting the Samsung 226BW - but damn, I just have a hard time pulling the trigger....why!? IT IS SOOOO BEAUTIFUL! The guy said he bought one when they first came out, and it appears that their store only gets the A model....bummer.

But, I really didn't see a ton of difference, I would need a trained eye to set it for me (red/green color deficiency - thanks mom)...but the FOV alone would be worth it...ugh....I hate being a tech whore.

4. No subject Jan 7, 2008, 14:29 strich

FYI, since CompUSA is "going out of business", they've got everything but pcs and mp3 players from 15-30% off. I just got a set of Sennheiser HD465s for about $34. all games, and other hardware as well as printer ink (which is outrageous to begin with) and other stuff is all on sale too.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

3. Ronde wasn't really wrong... Jan 7, 2008, 12:39 Devster

I'm not sure his comments were quite as controversial as they were made out to be - Eli is inconsistent, and Burress (though great) isn't the greatest WR around. Seems pretty innocuous to me. <shrug>

Certainly a better game than I expected; the SD game was the one most surprising to me - they set out to shutdown LT and did. still lost, but it worked really well for them.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

2. No subject Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 strich

As a follow up to my fist shaking at those who suggested Puzzle Quest to me, i'd like to continue with those that suggested Civ 4. i killed 5 hours saturday morning playing it. I was discouraged by the tutorial in that it seemed to make everything overly difficult by introducing the "whole game" without leaving much to discover yourself. But after jumping into the single player games, i'm hooked. there's a ton of fine little points about the game i discover every time i boot it up.

/shakes fist

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked...

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

1. No subject Jan 7, 2008, 11:51 xXBatmanXx

Didn't get to watch da football yesterday - had recertification of taser, asp, and chemical spray. Always fun to watch people get tased. I don't understand why people volunteer..... hehehehehe We had 6 do it this time around....and *GASP* none of them died! Amazing.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo