Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More GameSpot Review Fallout

A farewell blog post on GameSpot by reviewer Frank Provo references the firing of editor Jeff Gerstmann (story, story, story, story, story, and story) as his reason for departing the site after seven years (thanks Kotaku). His criticism is aimed at GameSpot parent CNet, saying he believes their management "let Jeff go for all the wrong reasons," going on to say "I believe CNet intends to soften the site's tone and push for higher scores to make advertisers happy." He concludes expressing sympathy for the GameSpot staff, saying: "For such upstanding people, the CNet overloads have created the ultimate soul-crushing work environment."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. No subject Jan 8, 2008, 12:09 dryden555

Prez, Why _exactly_ the major gaming websites offer elevated reviews is up for speculation, but the bigger gaming websites defininately do it and they have been doing it for years. We would be naive to think that the usual market pressures do not effect the people who work "above" the writers and editors. The former senior editor of Gamespot Greg Kasivin seemed to be a positive influence there, but he left 2 years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: freelancer Jan 7, 2008, 17:35 Prez

...Of course at this point the we-hate-gamespot-because-they-are-compromised ship has set sail and everyone is on board...

It would seem that the general consensus is that all of the game sites are compromised to some degree because of advertising dollars and publisher pressure. Of course few actually know for a fact that this is the case, so who knows? It may just be the internet blood-in-the-water phenomenon at work.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. No subject Jan 7, 2008, 17:19 dryden555

Writing for Gamespot is a nice job for 20-somethings just out of college. I suspect no one at the writer or editor level at Gamespot gets paid much -- maybe 30-40k for full time. Are those jobs worth keeping if you have a family to support and the usual expenses? No. Is there room to move up for greater pay as a writer? No. The turn-over at Gamespot was high long before this recent debacle occured and I think its because their day-to-day jobs there actually suck hard.

37. freelancer Jan 7, 2008, 05:15 Kxmode

Has anyone considered he's a freelancer, not a paid CNET employee. He's not going to be privy to insider information at Gamespot. Most of what he says is a hypothesis that he cannot backup. He also uses ample amounts of hyperbole. As far as I'm concerned this shouldn't be given the kind of attention its receiving. Of course at this point the we-hate-gamespot-because-they-are-compromised ship has set sail and everyone is on board. You may see it like this but what I see is a freelancer trying to cash-in in an effort to pimp himself elsewhere... perhaps for pay this time.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jan 7, 05:23.

36. Re: Reagle Beagle Jan 6, 2008, 18:45 Kosumo

Not that one, the corner over they with out the window. No ipod either!

35. Re: Reagle Beagle Jan 6, 2008, 15:37 Prez

Okay, I admit it. I'm a bad boy. I'll go stand in the corner now.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Reagle Beagle Jan 6, 2008, 15:13 nin

Racism and homophobia, maybe

That's pretty much Woody.

Please in the future, someone quote said post in a reply so I can still read it.

That's been done in the past with other problem children, and Blue has stated he's not a fan of it. I think he's (understandably) hesitant to mute a second person just because they quoted the first, but at the same time, he likes to remove the filth...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Reagle Beagle Jan 6, 2008, 14:13 Prez

It always makes me laugh when a post gets removed from Blues. After all of the things I've read on here, I can't believe there's ANYTHING that would get your post removed. Racism and homophobia, maybe, in our obscenely politically correct world. It's easy to forget that these boards are moderated at all considering some of the despicable things I've seen that pass muster. Please in the future, someone quote said post in a reply so I can still read it.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Reagle Beagle Jan 6, 2008, 13:07 Surf

If you are old enough to be using the term Reagle Beagle as a reference to the show Three's Company then you must be around my age, mid 30's.

If true, then you should damn well know by now that companies want absolute loyalty, but will cut your ass out on a whim if someone higher ups wants, say, another new car.

Why should we, the employee provide a 2 week notice when we are leaving a company when the company can let you go in .3 seconds?

You have to have the mentality I do. Try not to burn bridges, become a mercenary in the work force, always look out for yourself, do not backstab your coworkers, lie, cheat and steal your way to the top.

If a better opportunity comes along, take it.

Dog eat dog, and that my friends, is the American Way!

31. Re: No subject Jan 6, 2008, 12:43 space captain

space captain - some government is so going to unilateral preemptive own you.

i hope they think so

Go forth, and kill!

30. Re: Golem is a propagandist Jan 6, 2008, 11:57 Golem

Woody, you are too funny. You really did make me LMAO. When I tried to figure out your thought process is when it got scary.

And [VG]Reagle, I have to assume you don't work for a big company or corporation. But what you said sounds like something a manager would say. Maybe you're in lower or middle management someplace.

A corp always preaches loyalty and integrity but the problem is they only expect that from their employees. Don't ever expect them to be held to the same code of business conduct.

29. Golem is a propagandist Jan 6, 2008, 11:18 Woody

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 6, 11:50.

28. No subject Jan 6, 2008, 11:07 [VG]Reagle

I have a differant take on this.

This guy stabs CNet in the back after trying to body slam one of their biggest advertisers. Then Another employee get online and trys to tear down the company he was hired to support.

In buisness its ok to be honest but you need to try to support your company. Both these guys deserve to be fired. CNet is better off without such back stabbers.

The original review of the product should have been done with much more of a carefull review seening how the advertiser was paying the guy guy writing it. He still could have got his point across.

And Franks Provos blog post? You have to wonder if anyone would hire him. Bottom line is people in an organization need to pull in the same direction.

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

27. Re: No subject Jan 6, 2008, 09:14 ibm

Get your news online, and educate yourself on how to spot bias (whether from the left or the right) and think critically.

From smaller sites? That, if anything, the writers are free to be more biased and opinionated?

26. Re: No subject Jan 6, 2008, 08:24 riggs58

...the CNet overloads have created the ultimate soul-crushing work environment."

I think you mean CNet overLORDS don't you? CNet overloads, doesn't make much sense.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 08:25.

25. No subject Jan 6, 2008, 06:28 Acleacius

No kidding the BBC lies?
They are ranked number 1 on accuracy in news, iirc.
Can you give an example?

Thanks.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24. No subject Jan 6, 2008, 03:02 Trainwreck

I find that US-based websites can contain good, accurate news, while mainstream international news (ie BBC) can sometimes report downright lies as well as biased news. I think everyone should stay away from all big news corporations - that goes for US news companies like The New York Times, CNN, MSNBC Fox News, etc. as well as the aforementioned BBC. Get your news online, and educate yourself on how to spot bias (whether from the left or the right) and think critically.

23. No subject Jan 6, 2008, 02:04 Acleacius

Sorry about that Trainwreck, well you have to admit my Duke3D stripper for the p0rn sites was a good idea.

There are plenty of accurate news and media places, while true most are not here in the US anymore. Iirc we in the US used to be in the top 1-3 spot for Internationally accurate news, but after regan destroyed the Fairness Doctrine we now after the last 6 years are less than 25 Internationally.

If you want to help avoid places like ign and anything fox related, those are own by the worst media conglomerate rupet murdock, oh I forgot richard melon scafe. These guys are a scourge to humanity and democracy everywhere, undermining International media since the 1980s.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: No subject Jan 6, 2008, 00:50 Kosumo

space captain - some government is so going to unilateral preemptive own you.

21. No subject Jan 6, 2008, 00:13 space captain

in a tactical situation, often the worst thing you can do is to confront human beings directly

the only successful way to "fight the man" is to do it so that the "man" is unaware that you are fighting.. then you can kill them while they sleep

subterfuge, sabotage, guile, etc.

In terms of reporting and news media, unfortunately you wont be reaching the mass market with these tactics, [and thats ok, because the mass market is already in the "man"s pocket] but you can deliver pertinent and unfiltered (yet disguised) information to those who are aware

Go forth, and kill!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo