Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New Year's Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Feds share coupons Jan 2, 2008, 10:27 kanniballl

Only in America.

The government is making a TON of money from selling the frequencies freed up by switching to digital. So long as these coupons only take up a fraction of the profits then I don't mind.

Now if they weren't making any money from this venture, then I'd be annoyed.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 10:27.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Not a scam Jan 2, 2008, 09:44 rocketpcguy

for normally short (~2 meter) cables, cheap ($4.79) HDMI cables work just as well as 2 meter $120 monster cables. for much longer ones, the quality in 1080p gets worse in cheap cables and the same for monster ones.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-268788.php

13. Re: Feds share coupons Jan 2, 2008, 09:40 zirik

only in america will you find govt subsidy for the rich. its already 2008 and a majority of hdtv sold are still without digital tuners. companies dont feel the need to include them because the govt is giving away coupons. so why not build those external tuners and take advantage of free money funded by tax payers. the industry should be footing the bill since they are the ones benefiting from the new mandate of phasing out analog signals. consumers will have no choice but to upgrade their tv or buy the boxes.

12. Feds share coupons Jan 2, 2008, 04:34 CreamyBlood

To request a coupon, consumers can apply online at http://www.dtv2009.gov starting Tuesday. The government also has set up a 24-hour hotline to take requests, 1-888-DTV-2009 (1-888-388-2009).

Congress, in ordering the transition to digital broadcasting, set aside $1.5 billion for the coupon program, which will fund 33.5 million coupons and other costs.

Only in America.

11. Re: HDMI Jan 2, 2008, 04:01 zirik

In fact bought 2 of them, one for my Future 360 elite.

i read somewhere that the hdmi output from the 360 is not capable of carrying uncompressed true-hd audio signals (hdmi 1.1). did you look into that yet?

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 04:07.

10. Re: Not a scam Jan 2, 2008, 01:08 Cabezone

For $1500 these TVs should include every cable imaginable.

Much like top end motherboards. Hell even the cheap motherboards toss some cables.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: Not a scam Jan 1, 2008, 22:28 PHJF

"convenience"? Circuit City is no more a convenience store than Best Buy. For $1500 these TVs should include every cable imaginable.

I digress though, the scam is in Monster claiming their cables provide better signals than other cables to justify the astronomical prices. As that lousy article clearly stated, however, there is no such thing as a bad digital signal. It's either working or it's not.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Not a scam Jan 1, 2008, 22:21 nklnch

Same with perfume and movie popcorn.

This isn't a scam, it's a well known price markup for convenience.

7. Re: HDMI Jan 1, 2008, 21:06 PHJF

Yeah i put together a quick and cheap home theatre for my parents over break and the super cheap $200 Samsung 1000W 5.1 system w/ upconvert dvd/receiver didn't come with ANY cables except a coaxial video cable. Luckily their Direct TV settops included extra HDMI's, but I had to go back out and pick up a TOSlink cable... of course Circuit City only sold Monster brand at $70 for 6'.

Wal Mart? $20 for 12'. And it's not like it was a brand X cable, it was Philips.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Non-HD TV FTW Jan 1, 2008, 21:04 Ant

[grin] Yeah, yeah, I am outdated.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: HDMI Jan 1, 2008, 18:18 Overon

That article about HDMI has said basically what I have been telling people about digital cables for a long time. I'm glad there is some validation to what I was saying. I like validation.

4. Re: HDMI Jan 1, 2008, 17:01 Enahs

And I must say, I have watched movies on HD DVD and my up convert, and it is too close to buy into the HD DVD thing

Then either your TV sucks, or the HD-DVD you watched was not HD-DVD or configured properly, etc.

There is a huge difference.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

3. Re: No subject Jan 1, 2008, 16:01 Jonny5

Hmmm It may stink but if all the tools and suckers out there knew this, then Big buisnesses would not be making HUGE profits over stupid cables...

Fuck I hate Best Buy

2. No subject Jan 1, 2008, 15:48 TB

Woah that HDMI article stinks.

1. HDMI Jan 1, 2008, 15:42 Jonny5

Yea when I bought my DVD player (1080p up convert unit, and it works great) I wanted an HDMI cable for it , the Sony unit cost me 99.00 dollars for the Up convert DVD player and at best buy they wanted 80- 140 for the HDMI cable. I want to Big lots( a discount overstock place) and bought a HDMI cable for 15 dollars, In fact bought 2 of them, one for my Future 360 elite.

And I must say, I have watched movies on HD DVD and my up convert, and it is too close to buy into the HD DVD thing till I get a true 1080P set, But I LOVE my Phillips 32 inch 720...LOVE IT!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo