Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're going to have some chili to roll in the new year tomorrow night, so preparations began this morning. I noticed some changes along the way from the recipe I posted almost seven years ago, so I posted a newly revised version. We were lucky enough to score some fresh habaneros last night, which were mismarked, but easy enough to identify by appearance. This was confirmed by dabbing my tongue with the finger of my glove as I sliced them (I can still feel the burning on my lips), though it's possible they are actually Scotch bonnets (we should be able to figure out which when we eat it). Anyway, hopefully anyone making this will score some good peppers too, while avoiding any capsicum-related disasters.

And yes, I followed the recipe exactly… You should have seen MrsBlue's eyes as I downed my shot of tequila even though it was only 9:30 am!

Hot Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link of the Day: 10 Office Gadgets That Will Get You Fired Before the New Year. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Sweet surprise: Lost diamond ring turns up in fudge.
Auction: Trekkie Claims Auctioned Prop Was a Fake. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Novint Falcon.
1980's Video Game Commercials. Thanks Strich.
Don't bring your Stepson to work.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Chili Mouth Dec 31, 2007, 11:40 Syntarsus

I find the best cure for chili mouth is about 8 more shots of tequila It's still hot, but you don't care anymore

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: OT Dec 31, 2007, 09:00 Enahs

There are bastards that are already in the new year, and I am about to head off to work! I hate you guys.

heh

Happy New Year to all!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

11. Re: OT Dec 31, 2007, 08:31 Tango

P.S. Oh yeah, have safe and happy New Year guys! We've had a lot of good times over the years. Let's make sure we have many more together!
Well said, and seconded

10. Re: Chili Mouth Dec 31, 2007, 05:21 Dan =0)

Hey everyone.. literally 20 21 minutes ago I pulled in from a long-ass drive back from VA... many reasons why it took much, much longer than expected, but anywho... just wanted to say (relating to this thread, kinda) that I visited Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street in DC, and that has a hell of a lot more atmosphere (IMHO) than a lot of places I know of in Boston, combined... and their chili dogs are great, too.

Oh yes, and Bill Cosby eats there free.

Dan =0)

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 05:23.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

9. Re: OT Dec 31, 2007, 04:10 Cutter

Fuck the hawks! I already told you Green Bay will take the Superbowl this year.

And as far as chili goes, throw some cumin (about 2 tablepoons will do it) into the chili. That's good times, Blue.

As the holidy season winds down it's been crazed, but the upside is I've made schwacks of dough. Come Februrary I'm gonna' take off to the Bahamas for a week or so. Eat steak, lobster, shrimp, and lie on the beach sippin' cocktails till the cows come home.

Anyway, tomorrow, we're gonna have a late night at the bar. We've got about 200 showbiz peeps coming by at 11 pm and we'll be going to 3 am at least. The good Lord willin', and the crick don't rise I'll be banging one of these hot dancers tomorrow night. So I know you guys are all pullin' for me! If you can't manage it yourself, than live vicariously through me! I won't be getting out of the bar till 5 or 6 am...unless I score in which case a few buddies I work with owe me one and I'll be gone! Wish me luck! May the Force be with me!

P.S. Oh yeah, have safe and happy New Year guys! We've had a lot of good times over the years. Let's make sure we have many more together!

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz
This comment was edited on Dec 31, 04:12.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. OT Dec 31, 2007, 00:07 banddirector

So does anyone out there know why the Seahawks ended up with a Sat. game instead of Sunday? Is there a formula for this, or does the NFL just make it up as they go along?

-----------------------------------
Don't be a stoop, spread your goop

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. Re: Chili Mouth Dec 30, 2007, 21:21 Enahs

I found that taking a swig of milk to coat my mouth before eating chili helps the flavor come through without the payment of pain. Now if I could just come up with a portable milk enema to ease the resulting pain a few days later I'll be all set.

Umm, why even make it hot if you are just going to try and avoid the hotness?

Why not instead make it less hot but use a variety of different milder peppers to get a variety of spice and lots of tongue sensation without burning?

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

6. No subject Dec 30, 2007, 20:55 xXBatmanXx

My chili is a lot more simple......but damn that is a good recipe. I will post mine later.....

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Chili Mouth Dec 30, 2007, 20:53 Hump

I found that taking a swig of milk to coat my mouth before eating chili helps the flavor come through without the payment of pain. Now if I could just come up with a portable milk enema to ease the resulting pain a few days later I'll be all set.

re Novint Falcon: Thats an old video. As cool as it is it looks like it's just not catching on enough for devs to justify the extra expense of adding its functionality to their games.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: Chili Mouth Dec 30, 2007, 20:13 MrPr3f3ct

A spoonful of plain granulated sugar works well too....  
Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but you just can't help but giggle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

3. No subject Dec 30, 2007, 19:59 Dr.Del

i actually remember that chili post from 7 years ago!

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

2. Blue's Chili Dec 30, 2007, 19:54 cappy

Blue - that sounds like a pretty great chili recipe and it's Texan enough, particularly with the lack of beans and the habaneros. And blackstrap molasses is great stuff. I used some yesterday in my baked beans to go with brisket.

1. Chili Mouth Dec 30, 2007, 19:48 UnderLord

Capsaicin, the stuff that makes chillies hot, is fat soluble, which is why water won't help (or Beer, but that shouldn't stop you trying ;-)
Most Dairy stuff like Milk or Sour Cream will get it off of your tongue / palate.
Hence this rather nice accompaniment to Indian Curries - "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raita_(condiment)"
Cheers and many thanks for the recipe, Blue. Have a great New Years Eve.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 19:55.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo