Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X2 & X3 Patches

EGOSOFT offers new patches to update X2 and X3, two of their space combat games, among other things adding a new UPLINK facility to export game statistics for display on Egosoft.com servers comparison and bragging rights. The X Reunion Patches Page offers a new version 2.5 patch that adds the new UPLINK function as well as the Mission Director (MD) mission development tool along with bug fixes. Also, for the nostalgic, as they put it, the X The Threat Patches Page offers a version 1.5 patch that adds the same UPLINK functionality to the older game. The X2 patch is mirrored on The Patches Scrolls. The X3 patch is mirrored on The Patches Scrolls.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Hmmm Dec 29, 2007, 20:14 Skullguise

Well if they can generate gravity on stations, who is to say they couldn't also cause a ship's mass to decrease during a turn? I always assumed an "inertial dampener" would do somethhing like that if it were possible of course.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Hmmm Dec 29, 2007, 12:27 mOOzilla

I tried EVE and while I liked it somewhat I felt RIPPED OFF and due to the CORRUPTION of the company that runs it and the overpricing and hard handed bans they dish out at the cry of anybody on the forum not to mention DirectX only and they do not support Open GL that I need as I am migrating from Windows to Mac OS.

We need something better. It is just me and my dislike of playing AI. I prefer to take on real people in a game.

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 12:28.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

15. Re: Hmmm Dec 29, 2007, 11:56 Apathy Curve

I don't like thinking that they aren't advanced enough beyond 21st-century Earth technology to have overcome inertia at least a little bit.

Yeah, because Newton's First Law of Motion is just a nagging inconvenience, not a natural law or anything...

14. No subject Dec 29, 2007, 10:33 HardCore

I would never play something like Eve, because that would be too mind numbing to me. This gives me good overall immersion of being in space in a ship.

I've been playing the game for the last week again with latest bonus packs. You start out trying to survive in space to becoming all powerful to the end you can eliminate entire sectors and races.

If you want a game that you can invest time in then this is it. Sometime I leave it on over night in time acceleration mode while I make the millions. For $10 it's a steal and a large constant community pumping out mods and scripts. X-mod is supposed to be really cool but I haven't tried it.

13. Boring Dec 29, 2007, 05:34 mOOzilla

This game would be better if it had some multiplayer online mode. As it stands, its mind numbingly boring to play lame attempts at AI.

http://www.rense.com/general79/wdx1.htm

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

12. Re: Hmmm Dec 29, 2007, 00:56 Bubicus

It's not that similar to piloting a camera. There is a small amount of inertia in X3. It's certainly enough to affect turns and such. It's very noticeable in the high-speed M5 fighters. Sure, you can turn a 180 pretty easily, but you can't change direction instantaneously.

Also, there are many players that like having low-inertia flight models. Not very many people like Independence War-style or Warhead-style flight models. If I'm imagining a group of spacefaring civilizations at war, I don't like thinking that they aren't advanced enough beyond 21st-century Earth technology to have overcome inertia at least a little bit.

I like flight models like Frontier's or Space Rogue's. You can toggle the anti-inertia drive on and off so both types of players are happy.

My main problem with X3 was the "now what?" factor. I became bored after building my player headquarters and starting to manufacture M7s. In X4, they should add inter-civilization and/or mega-corporation warfare, as well as the opportunities that would arise from such conflicts (assassinations, supply runs, recon missions, etc.). I know there are mods that add these kinds of missions, but they didn't really give me the feeling of "artificial life" I wanted to feel.

11. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 20:10 Bhruic

You don't have to setup stations/traders. Certainly that's a relatively risk-free way to handle it, but it's not the only one. I recently restarted and have been making all of my money by capping ships. I've easily broken 50 million, thanks to numerous super freighter caps.

But yes, like all methods of playing, that will also take a fair amount of time.

10. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 20:08 Wildone

crappy flight model..in fact its like piloting a camera around 3d space..not very challenging at all..

9. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 19:04 Jerykk

It's a fine game. If you really want to get into it though it requires a pretty serious time commitment, certainly no less than an hour a sitting if you want to get anything done.

My biggest gripe with the game is that you have to build a trading network if you want to make any decent money. I have no interest in building trade stations, setting up trade routes, finding the best prices for goods, etc, so this was too tedious for me.

8. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 16:57 Lactose The Intolerant

If you're sane you just cheat and starting having big space battles pew pew

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 16:58.

7. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 14:27 Yosemite Sam

... it is a pretty slow game ...

Pretty slow is an understatement, it is a full time job.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

6. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 14:01 Armengar

X2 was a buggy piece of junk when first released. I loved X1 but couldn't be bothered with X2 after the numerous crashes and its apparent hatred of liteon drives with its "anti piracy features" I beleive the patches fixed that but I have better games to play (supreme commander with my new phenom! w00t!)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 13:19 Aero

It's a fine game. If you really want to get into it though it requires a pretty serious time commitment, certainly no less than an hour a sitting if you want to get anything done. That's why I could never get into it.

It does have lovely graphics though and the combat is a lot of fun, so if you pick it up cheap it's probably worth it just to fly around, fight with the pirates, and blow stuff up.

The patch didn't impress me much. The big 'surprise' feature was a method to upload your high-scores to their website. Not too exciting.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the reviews. It's sort of a niche game, if an arcade fan picked it up not knowing what it was they would be pretty disappointed. Also, and probably most importantly, v1.0 was incredibly buggy- almost unplayable for some. It's been continuously patched though, 1.4 took care of most of the problems and by 2.0 everything was running very smoothly. 2.5 claims to have refined it a little more in that respect, so it's probably near as perfect as it can be by now.

4. Oh well Dec 28, 2007, 12:49 Surf

I just don't have the time anymore to invest heavily in any games unfortunately. Thanks for the info though gents.

3. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 12:31 Fugazi

It's pretty fun-but it is a pretty slow game that requires a lot of micromanagement and has a daunting interface.
The Egosoft forums are full of helpful people though and they often have some really good mods.

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

2. Re: Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 12:23 Skoll

Yeah Steam has this for $9.95, at least until the 31st of Dec. The metascore is only 71, and 210 users have collectively given it a 6.6. So without having played it, I think the answer to "Is it any good?" is a qualified "no."

However, lots of those reviews are based on the unpatched initial release. Perhaps it is better now. Perhaps even good. Anyone care to comment?

http://www.bandega.com - Never miss a show again

1. Hmmm Dec 28, 2007, 11:41 Surf

Just grabbed this game a few weeks ago at fry's for like $10. Is it any good? Looks cool.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo