Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Something went haywire here yesterday and started forwarding folks to an article on the UGO site. A couple of issues like this lately have steeled me to the task of finding a way of eliminating them (which may lead to ugliness), and my first project for the new year will be to find to end such user-unfriendliness if it kills me, which I hope it doesn't, as that strikes me as counter-productive. In the meantime, apologies to all of you who suffered with this aggravation.

Stabby Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link of the Day: LEGO Portal. Thanks Kotaku.
Stories: Woman Stabs Husband For 'Inviting People Over'.
Wife Stabs Husband for Opening Xmas Present Too Early.
Image: Half-Life 2 Custom Alyx Vance Figure.
Media: Father home from Iraq surprises daughters by hiding in box.
Wii Remote Accident.
Dairy Queen Robber Denied by 6'4 300lb Corrections Officer.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: AVP:R Jan 2, 2008, 09:31 Bronco

Blaming.....Bronco,

I've never liked this sort of movie so I will gladly take the blame.

Still reading after all these years!

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 23:28 CreamyBlood

Yes, that's what I believe too. It just seems that most sci-fi is dumbed down when it comes to movies. In many cases to action, or at the lower level becoming a horror/monster movie in space.

How often do you read a s/f short story or novel written in the last hundred years that has something like, 'space ship floating in space gets invaded by alien-monster and decimates the crew one-by-one'?

Almost never. But how many times do we see the Halloween series, or Friday the 13th Series, Jaws or any Vampire movie slapped into a spaceship or futuristic setting and they call it a sci-fi movie? All the time.

Aliens is a prime contender, although I still love the first two.

Think of Asimov's Foundation series. It's all talking, mostly in people's heads. How are you going to translate a billion words of concepts and ideas with pretty much no action into a movie that people will pay money to go watch? I have no idea, maybe someone will do it someday. We saw what happened to 'I Robot'.

My point is that I expect most modern Hollywood 'sci-fi' movies to really be slasher/horror/monster movies in disguise. They really don't have much to do with sci-fi except for the settings, usually.

But, if you go hunt down a list, you can instantly see that there have been some really good ones that aren't just action and nonsense. And sometimes the monster movies end up being good entertainment anyways.

I'm sure we all have many good books in mind that we'd love to see made into a movie and it boggles my mind why they don't take some of the brilliant existing stuff already written in the last century and make a real movie instead of all this trash.

On the flipside of the coin, it's not all bad. We've gotten some pretty good sci-fi flicks over the years.

As a mental test, go through this 'top rated sci-fi movie' list and mentally count in your head how many are monster/horror as the primary theme:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_film.html

Not a lot really, and it's a pretty good list. That's why I was suprised, both that I'd actually watched so many movies and that most of them were good.

That was a top-rated list, I was hoping I could compare it to top-money-grossing for balance, but this is as close as I could find:

http://www.concatenation.org/videoindex.html

This includes Fantasy as well and is based on DVD/Video rentals. But as you scan it, it's quite a different picture. And it's still not showing a massive amount of horror/monster sci-fi.

So I've done a miserable job of trying to back up my theory but I'm getting tired. Maybe next week I'll find a list of 'B' movie sci-fi's. Something that includes Joan Collins and maybe perhaps some killer tomatoes.

39. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 19:00 Ray Marden

Eh, I think some of the best science fictions deals with character issues or greater culture/religious/whatever issues - things that might be taboo - but gets away with it for being in a science fiction setting.

Obviously, there are future-looking or classic fantasy genres, too, but science fiction, at least for myself, is not just "alien monster killzorz sh*t." Even when utilizing a figurative "monster" in a story, it really needs to be based around some science/idea/belief/whatever going bad rather than just "ZOMG it's a monster!"

And I think that's the problem with a lot of "science fiction" these days.

Hating SciFi's weekly monster movie abomination,
Ray "When bunnies attack!" Oh no!

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

38. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 17:24 CreamyBlood

I've been a sci-fi fan all of my life, like I'm sure many here are. I still read novels and short stories from the forties to the present. Of course the written word is a different medium so has to be judged differently.

I was going to say something like, 'Most sci-fi movies seem like nothing more than horror/monster movies set in space'. Which certainly seems true to me for some reason. But then I went and googled some top ten/hundred sci-fi movie lists and found that I'd seen most of them and agreed they were good. And most weren't of the monster/horror mold.

Maybe there's just way more 'B' movies that come out fitting that category. Pitch Dark is really just a monster/horror movie that I liked as are Species and Event Horizon which I didn't like.

Anyways, I expected that the new Aliens movie would be in the horror category I was just hoping it'd get better, not worse. I suspect I'll see it sometime on cable at a friends house...

37. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 11:01 Warhawk

Yes, there were some flaws with the movie, but I LIKED AVP. This movie feels more like a budget horror flick with some Aliens and Predators thrown in to prevent truth in advertising lawsuits over the title.

And I agree with Ray. Really, how do you screw this up so badly? They leave it open for #3 at the end, and there are is a promising shot at the end to make you wonder where it's going next (the franchise), but really, how do you go out and disappoint fans with this?

About the new monster - Considering how dark the entire flipping movie is, how can anyone see it to complain about it? Nah, I don't mind that so much, it's the "let's break all the truths we know about how these reproduce just to make it a cheap gore stunt" that really pisses me off. I mean really, did they have to go there?

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

36. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 10:30 nin

Man, I still fing think they could do an awesome predator movie and have it take place back in time, fighting against the Vikings such as in The 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead (book). Could be freaking amazing.

So many other great possibilities. Assholes.

I enjoyed both Predator movies (the first being the better, obviously). And I love Alien and Aliens.

But these cash-ins ignore the lore setup previously, have dumb stories with plot holes you could drive a truck through, and have little/nothing to do with the original series...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 10:06 Enahs

Nothing good has come of the AvP film series. It's a cash in, and nothing more...

Man, I still fing think they could do an awesome predator movie and have it take place back in time, fighting against the Vikings such as in The 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead (book). Could be freaking amazing.

So many other great possibilities. Assholes.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 10:51.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

34. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 09:19 nin

OK, I went and saw this tonight. I was very disappointed.

WELL, duuuuuuuuuh! I could have told you it was a shit movie and you could have sent me your $10.

Nothing good has come of the AvP film series. It's a cash in, and nothing more...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 08:54 Enahs

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the situation today than the old cold war.

I've often thought the same thing. Bring back the cold war. It was during the cold war we did cool shit like go to the moon. And the world was more at peace, or at least more geopolitically stable. Long live the USSR.

Ehh. All this other crap was going on during the cold war, even more. You just did not hear about it or deal with it because the attention was on the cold war.

Humans do not get along. Nothing has changed except better weapons. Why is everybody being so melodramatic about that?

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 08:25 Jim

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the situation today than the old cold war.

I've often thought the same thing. Bring back the cold war. It was during the cold war we did cool shit like go to the moon. And the world was more at peace, or at least more geopolitically stable. Long live the USSR.

Jim

31. No subject Dec 28, 2007, 06:52 Starsky

Okay, but I still think Blue wrote something funny.

30. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 04:36 Ray Marden

Calm down, Warhawk, it will be okay.

I actually liked the first AvP a bit - we finally got to see the Alien and Predator fight and it did have a semi-interesting explanation for everything. Additionally, the ending left a lot of great potential...

...but everything you said just falls in lines with the generally negative reviews I've seen/heard. Bad story? Essential negation of face-huggers? Questionable time lapses? Overly violent scenes (especially contrasting with the utter lack of character development/attachment?) Generally bad editing?

About the only thing you did not mention was the (horrible?) look of the new monster.

I'm still an Alien/Predator/AvP whore that I will still watch this current abomination movie, but I can definitely wait it out until the DVD release...
So sad. This seems like such an easy/obvious monster movie to get right.
Blaming.....Bronco,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

29. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 04:32 kyleb

Actually - the US has a TON to LOSE! We (the US) were actually PRO BHUTTO! We have vested billions of dollars recently against Musharaff and his sexist and hitler type ways.
Eh? We never gave Butto any serious support, the billions we have sent to Pakistain have gone to Musharaff's regime.

28. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 03:22 Warhawk

OK, Test 2

Test 3

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 03:24.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

27. Re: AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 03:17 Warhawk

Hee hee - . FUN!

OK, but I'm not sure how to reverse it!

26. AVP:R Dec 28, 2007, 03:12 Warhawk

OK, I went and saw this tonight. I was very disappointed.

1) I thought the Alien/Predator hybrid creature was a good angle, and obvious from both previous Alien movies (especially Alien 3) and the ending to AVP.

However, my movie tastes run to "sci-fi/action", not "sci-fi gruesome horror", which this film delves into way too much for my taste (as well as the other 3 with me that saw the film).

2) I didn't think they really needed to go after children, pregnant ladies, and the baby ward in the hospital. Really, with about 10-15 minutes of selective editing, this movie would have been SO much better. The first AVP didn't go into this - it didn't need to, and neither did this one.

3) OK, so when did Aliens develop the capability to grow little Aliens inside them and force-feed them to pregnant women in a hospital bed to come out a few minutes later? Isn't that kinda the point of the face-huggers? I mean, really, that was quite an evolutionary step that "poof", magically they reproduce differently now. And what's the point of doing that anyways if they are already fully developed baby Aliens?

4) Why the heck did only one Predator come to Earth to fight all the Aliens? I mean, come on, I would expect something more like the first AVP or, to a certain extent, the human response seen in the movie Aliens. That was just dumb.

I'm sure there is more, but that's enough for now. I was just hoping for more AVP action and less cheap horror theatrics. I just don't care for those. I don't like gruesome much, it just isn't something I care to pay to see.

Oh well, I think National Treasure is up next....

Edit - and for the life of me I can't figure out why the font size changed there....OOOH - new trick! I just don't know how to do it again.

Edit 2 - OK, maybe I do.

. TEST

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 03:16.

25. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 00:45 m00t

Lest some people forget, a lot of Americans are first and second generation still. There just happen to be a lot of people not in America that we do in fact like.

I'd be very pissed if my "leaders" went around bombing them just because they could and I strongly doubt I would be alone.

24. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 00:22 Smoove

If Americans feel so strongly about their right to bare arms (their gun laws), how can you say other should not be aloud nuclear weapons? You have them don't you?

I think this falls in the same category as driving laws. You can't drive a car unless you reach a certain maturity and prove you have basic driving skills, but provided you do this, you're free to own and drive a car. It's a similar concept with nukes. If a country wants nuclear capability, then they need to prove that they are both stable and secure enough to handle the responsibility.

I fear the day America has fully remote control tank/planes/ships and could goto war with out losing any lives. When I say lives I mean American lives because althought America says "Freedom for All" what the seam to mean is freedom for all americans (Blacks now Included) to exploit any non-americans to keep their way of life alive while other are not aloud the same freedom.

Contrary to popular belief, the American populace doesn't sit around all day planning which country they want to attack next. Even if war could be waged without the loss of a single American life, most people aren't going to want a war just for the hell of it.

23. Re: No subject Dec 28, 2007, 00:14 Cabezone

Thanks guys, I had forgotten that all the problems of the world are the fault of the USA.

Without the USA, the world world be a fucking paradise!

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 00:15.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

22. Re: No subject Dec 27, 2007, 23:35 Kosumo

I some times think "fark it"

So I think most of the countries that want them do so because they are scared of what the other countries with them will make them do if they don't 'defend' them self. If we all got rid of them we would not have that problem. If Americans feel so strongly about their right to bare arms (their gun laws), how can you say other should not be aloud nuclear weapons? You have them don't you?

I fear the day America has fully remote control tank/planes/ships and could goto war with out losing any lives. When I say lives I mean American lives because althought America says "Freedom for All" what the seam to mean is freedom for all americans (Blacks now Included) to exploit any non-americans to keep their way of life alive while other are not aloud the same freedom.

I believe your CIA may have planted the seeds of your downfall, many years ago. I don't think your founding fathers would be overly pleased with their actions.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo