Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More on TRIBES-Like Footage

FiringSquad has more on the Starsiege TRIBES reminiscent footage recently "leaked" (story) following earlier "leaked" information about the project (story). Tim Aste of GarageGames spills all sorts of beans about the project, claiming the "leak" is forcing their hands into revealing things earlier than planned. He describes a browser-based game with deep mechanics that are not overly complex, hopefully bringing back gameplay reminiscent of the days of QuakeWorld. He says the game has only been in development since October, but they are serious about this:

The game has only been in development since the end of October, but the studio / company has flirted with the idea for quite some time (as you probably remember from around March 06). This time we are for real, we have the means and motivation, and hopefully we can find a way to bring that whole PC multiplayer gaming experience we miss back in some form to the people who miss it, and maybe introduce it to many more.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: ... Dec 25, 2007, 19:08 Jerykk

It's also nice to have basic bots, like the Unreal Tournament series provides.

Unfortunately, making competent bots in Tribes is practically impossible. Sure, you can give them good aim but you can't make them ski and jet across the terrain like any decent player. The bots in Tribes 2 and T:V were a joke.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. ... Dec 25, 2007, 18:48 theyarecomingforyou

tribes is multiplayer only. what fool would want to play offline?
Last time I checked you can have multiple users on a LAN, which is offline. It's also nice to have basic bots, like the Unreal Tournament series provides.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. Re: 2008 Dec 25, 2007, 14:26 IgWannA

"I for one like to have a disc with my games because I fear that an online game will always require an online connection."

tribes is multiplayer only. what fool would want to play offline?

25. 2008 Dec 25, 2007, 11:44 Surf

Sorry, the PCGamer that mentions all this was for Jan 2008 not 2007. Yes they say in the mag it IS YOUR WEB BROWSER. Though they do not elaborate at all on how or what it is doing to accomplish that.

I for one like to have a disc with my games because I fear that an online game will always require an online connection. Sometimes its nice to be offline and just work on tactics with yourself, or if you have a LAN, with a friend or sibling. The advantage of no disc puts all the control in the devs hands which could be good too, such as for piracy and hacking reasons.

Merry xmas all! Let hope this Tribes game does turn out to be a great one!

24. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 11:22 mOOzilla

OMG REALLY! ITS CHANGING, YA THINK!!!

I will use whatever is the cheapest, currently that is www.play.com I buy from there just to get the activation code then download over Steam.

Once they start changing their pricing to be cheaper than today then yeah maybe I will listen.

They have to jump through MY HOOPS to get MY MONEY, not the other way around.

Once they start being their own retailer (by not having the ability of other retailers to sell discs on the shelf or web store) YOU LOSE as you are stuck to their pricing, NO COMPETITION, NO COMPETITIVE RETAILERS.

YOU LOSE. It all boils down to one thing, MONEY and that is where I decide where I spend it, not them.

It is CHEAPER to buy a hard copy than a digital only copy, What version do you think I buy? Yeah, the hard copy. Electronic only copies are mostly more expensive. What kind of dolt pays more money for that?

Look st the current Steam sale on now, I can still get it cheaper on Play.com. I don't have to pay shipping or tax, what you see is what you pay, on Steam, they bang on tax on top of prices that are already overpriced compared to play.com

Go figure.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 11:30.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

23. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 11:19 Hump

Who said anything about shockwave?

If they are pushing it over the web, can I purchase this from other retailers (usually at heavily discounted even for pre order such as play.com). If they are going to be the only sellers of this then its dead in the water as I for one refuse to buy anyting at full retail.

Do you understand that the entire industry is changing? In about 5 years most people will be wondering why we used hard media at all when downloading a game is far more convenient. There is no appreciable benefit for a multiplayer only game to have to be shipped on-disc.

I was the exact same way at one point, feeling I had to have the disc but then I look in my basement and I see boxes and boxes of game discs, the majority of which I never touched after the initial installation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 09:47 James

Waaa Waaa Waa!

Holy crap, give it a rest already.

These are the guys that gave us Tribes with no copy restrictions built in, remember? And buddy discs, remember?

These guys put out a product (Torque) to promote indie game development.

These are the good guys...

21. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 09:04 mOOzilla

Who said anything about shockwave?

If they are pushing it over the web, can I purchase this from other retailers (usually at heavily discounted even for pre order such as play.com). If they are going to be the only sellers of this then its dead in the water as I for one refuse to buy anyting at full retail.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 09:06.

----

20. No subject Dec 25, 2007, 07:06 Hump

This isn't Shockwave or some web specific thing, its the same engine they've used for Tribes since day one, albeit heavily updated and modified.

How do I know? I posted at Shacknews asking those who knew, in this case Tim Aste of Garage Games. I didn't park myself on a page and make up shit. Try it sometime.

I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

19. Re: Browser Gaming Dec 25, 2007, 07:02 Beaner

If these guys have done this much in only a couple months, there is a good chance this game is going to kick some faces in! They already know what to shoot for - Tribes 1 & 2 - so that helps alot and removes a lot of development time.

I hope you are right. It seems every time you think the devs of a new Tribes game have learned from the past, some nutbag decides to drastically change a feature, remove a feature or nerf all to hell. (Granted this so called game is not meant to actually be Tribes 3)

It happened with T2 when they nerfed the hell out of the speed on release. With TV they thought hey lets put the speed back, but then they removed a whole lot of everything else, changed a lot of what was left and built it on the crappy unreal 2 engine which changed the whole way the movement and physics felt. TV was a perfect example that tells you that its not just the speed of movement that made the game good. it was the full immsersive maps, the sense of scale, yes vehicles and deployables, yes the command map and more.

Personally as much as I loved T1, After T2 got through patches, updates with things like classic it really was a better game than the first. An excellent evolution of the first. If T2 was released with the classic physics and speed and didn't have the initial bugs it would have been almost perfect. But that whole foible split things up and left us to where we are today. TV just made it even worse.

The good is that this game is being made by folks who made up the first Dynamix crew, its being built on new tech Torque which tells me the netcode and physics should be smooth and maps without any hard boxed in boundries. But yeah this whole browser thing is somewhat a concern. I guess Tribes can never get away from potential issues. I remember when it was announced that TV was being built on a "enhanced" unreal 2 engine, everyone had instant fears about limitations. Those fears came true.

Sometimes I wish Valve created Tribes, because they always handle everything just right. Whether its TF2, or CSS etc. It must be heaven being a fan of Half Life and the mods that surround it.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 07:06.

18. Re: Heh Dec 25, 2007, 04:45 mOOzilla

I never said tribes wasnt fantastic, I bought a few licences myself and played it for over 5 years, not a single game has ever gotten that much money and time from me. So where you got the idea I was attacking Tribes games (appart from the Vengeance crap) beats me

You remind me of people on Yahoo chat who non stop rant on about every time they press the Ignore button LOL.

Not that I give a rats bottom what you think heh because you are a nobody on the internet posting anonymously just like me

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 04:46.

----

17. Re: Heh Dec 25, 2007, 04:27 Armengar

>>> This inane blathering from mOOzilla has been hidden. Don’t feed the trolls! <<< Show Post trust me people, get the greasmonkey script it's brilliant!

anyways, Tribes was fantastic and was one of the best team games going. I actually liked tribes 2 aswell, nothing like loading up 6 heavys are ditching in their hanger mortars flying.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 04:27.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

16. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 04:07 mOOzilla

Steam is just a browser for your games, it is just a store portal, stats tracking framework and launcher updater manager.

Steam is just that, not the actual ENGINE, that can be whatever you want. Source, Crytek whatever. You can even manage non steam enabled games via Steam.

No it is not Shockwave, it is their own runtime that they are building based on their game engine.

Steam is like iTunes, nothing more, you don't need itunes to play your music, it is just a manager framework.

They give the impression that the web browser is used to access the game that is then launched from the web browser container (their page).

They want into the gaming as a service market, nothing less. You will have no offline or LAN mode.

Anyway, the game looks shit even for an early experiment.

Im giving my money to more interesting games such as portal and spore nowdays. Im tired of the FPS milkwhore companies.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 04:09.

----

15. Browser based will suck Dec 25, 2007, 04:05 mOOzilla

No more LAN (or VPN) games or offline mode.

----

14. Heh Dec 25, 2007, 03:03 Razerious

Edit: Lalalalalala

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 03:20.

13. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 02:40 sponge

I'm afraid of the term web browser because to me that sounds like it's going to one of those casual games.

Q3 is certainly not a casual game, yet that is coming to the web. I'd also say any game that requires around an ATI X1300 (according to a post by one of the GG devs) would probably be more of an investment that the casual players will be out.

Besides, a 'casual' Tribes is still more complex than the psuedo-realism slowbie crap we get nowadays.

12. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 02:31 Overon

I want the depth of tribes 1 and tribes 2. I want skiing, I want jetpacks, I want weapons that are not hitscan but take time to travel to their target, and wide open levels that seemlessly go into closed interiors. And that is the essence of tribes.

11. Re: No subject Dec 25, 2007, 02:23 Overon

I'm afraid of the term web browser because to me that sounds like it's going to one of those casual games.

I'm not into casual games.

10. No subject Dec 24, 2007, 22:36 sponge

Do people really think this is going to like be a Shockwave game or something? I can't believe how often people are apparently believing this.

When you play games on Steam, are you playing games under the Steam engine (whee pun)? Are they running under Steam? No, they're running just like every other game, but the difference is instead of reinventing the wheel with all the community features Tribes 2 had, they're doing it in a standard web browser.

It's the same with Quake Zero, people think they've ported Q3 to Flash or something. It's the same idea: the web browser is the front end, downloading the game, and running it just like it ran 8 years ago.

I used to think these boards were relatively technically inclined (and I ain't no genius myself) but more and more I have to wonder. Or are just people afraid of the term web browser?

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 22:40.

9. Re: ... Dec 24, 2007, 21:20 verybad

By browser they're talking MP finder, so it's not based on a central server it sounds like. They'd not base a game on a web browser as that would be the equivalent of taking whatever money they're puting into this and throwing it in a blender. (not to mention it wouldn't be very console ready)

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 23:56.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo