Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES-Like Movies

Shacknews has some "leaked" movies found unprotected on the InstantAction.com website showing off alpha-level gameplay from a game quite reminiscent of Starsiege TRIBES, which follows the revelation that GarageGames is at work on such a project for the online gaming initiative (story). Their source stresses the footage represents early work on the project, and was meant for internal use.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Well Dec 25, 2007, 04:38 Jerykk

I wouldn't mind seeing a Portal 2, though I hope they'll think a bit more highly of their audience next time. Evidently they assumed that we were retards with the first game because the first 15 levels were basically training levels. After listening to the commentary, I think it's safe to say that they need to get playtesters with an IQ above 10.

As for Spore, I'm not really interested in it. It strikes me as more of a sandbox than a game and even then, a fairly limited and uninteresting sandbox. I'll still give it a try when it comes out but I'm not even remotely anticipating it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Well Dec 25, 2007, 04:25 mOOzilla

Well, "lab rat" is an accurate term for Portal You are in a lab, and are a test subject (rat).

Portal was an experiment by Valve (listen to their commentary) and it will most likely be expanded upon later (perhaps bundled with Episode Three).

Also another game that is going be big in March 2008 is Spore.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

37. Re: Well Dec 25, 2007, 02:47 sponge

In fact, Portal is the only first-person puzzler I can think of at the moment.

I'd say that some of the Metroid Prime games skirt that line, in addition to stuff like Defrag & other trickjump mods. I want to say I've played something else that could definitely be classified as first-person puzzle, but I can't think of anything off-hand.

36. Re: Well Dec 25, 2007, 00:41 Jerykk

I'd say it's a genre that is massively underpopulated. In fact, Portal is the only first-person puzzler I can think of at the moment.

35. Re: Well Dec 24, 2007, 22:39 sponge

Portal is a first-person puzzler.

A genre that is MASSIVELY underrated, in my not-so-humble opinion. Hopefully developers will take note.

34. Re: Tribes2 Dec 24, 2007, 18:47 Jerykk

I liked to slower pace of T2. otherwise we get Unreal, and we all know what happened to the Tribes series when Vengeance copied Unreal right.

Hmm, no, we don't get Unreal. We get Tribes 1. Faster = good. Now, if you took away the jetpacks, base assets and deployables and made all the maps take place in the Tibetan mountains or some post-apocalyptic city with neon signs everywhere, then you'd have Unreal.

33. Re: Well Dec 24, 2007, 18:42 Jerykk

However, one genre that is making a big comeback is the "Lab rat" genre such as Portal.

Hmm, I don't think "lab rat" is a genre. Portal is a first-person puzzler.

32. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2007, 14:43 mOOzilla

Come 2009... 2030 (ish) that will all change (maybe)

----

31. No subject Dec 24, 2007, 14:25 manic half

i think america without their bullshit legal system would just sort of.. implode. having to work thing's out themselves? that's unpossible!

30. Re: Well Dec 24, 2007, 13:47 mOOzilla

That's America If it is anonymous and open what can they do

You could argue that they killed the Tribes franchise and are therefore no longer protecting it by actively persugin it.

Use it or lose it.

However, one genre that is making a big comeback is the "Lab rat" genre such as Portal.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 13:49.

----

29. Well Dec 24, 2007, 13:31 Surf

A lawsuit has a great way of stopping that especially in America. The legal fee's and round robin "legal tactics" can drain the coffers faster than a project could start.

They must tread lightly. When money is involved people unfortunately get crazy and nasty, showing their true colors. This really inhibits art on all fronts sadly.

28. Re: Tribes2 Dec 24, 2007, 12:49 mOOzilla

They can use the same genre, physics and concepts but not have the same artwork and branding.

A total make over Mod on a good engine would even do. Once the cat is out of the bag, good luck getting it in

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 12:50.

----

27. Tribes2 Dec 24, 2007, 12:42 Surf

Moozilla you forget that GG cannot just update T2 because they do not own the license, and Sierra (or whoever) does own the license is too stubborn to let it go for any reasonable amount of cash. Therefore it will die, how nice of them!

I think the trails are very lame, but an option to turn them on or off would be cool. I liked how T1 and T2 handles the trails, very minimal and not noticeable at all, really cool. Though I would like to see the trees/grass blow back if you activate the packs, and dirt to kick up realistically.

I liked to slower pace of T2. otherwise we get Unreal, and we all know what happened to the Tribes series when Vengeance copied Unreal right.

Does anyone actually play Unreal? Fucking hate that series with a passion. Mortal Kombat meets Quake is the way i look at it. Stupid guns, lame vegas colors, gay commentary, super fast speeds = joke.

26. Re: Hopefully Dec 24, 2007, 11:17 mOOzilla

How about; Tribes: Portals , 2 good games rolled into one

Tribes 2 rocked the FPS genre
Portal brings us the lab rat genre

----

25. Hopefully Dec 24, 2007, 10:50 Muscular Beaver

not some bullshit like Tribes 2 or Tribes 3.
I remember how disappointed I was in T2 because it was so fucking slow, air discs didnt require any skill anymore and generally was dumbed down extremely. Even the classic mod didnt do much about it.
And Tribes 3... the beta demo was actually awesome, but release, they ALSO made the gameplay much slower for some idiotic reason...
Old Dynamix members makes me hope for this one.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 10:53.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

24. Re: 50 / 50 Dec 24, 2007, 10:21 sc4r4b

What we need is nothing different, just an UPDATED Tribes 2.
Actually, I want an updated Tribes 1 kthx. Tribes 1 > Tribes 2. Much faster, practically non-existent vehicles, no heat-seeking missile launchers that force everyone to carry flares.... the Shocklance was cool, though.

Why not update both versions?

I personally likes Tribes 2 (Classic) more than Tribes BUT I do understand that there are people with different opinions. Therefore why not give the server admins/players a choice? Having multiple gametypes is nothing new, so why not have both styles of Tribes updated to keep everyone happy? Because I liked my flares and doing bombing runs with my friends. Tribes 2 had a level of depth that kept me playing for a very long time.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 10:22.

23. Re: 50 / 50 Dec 24, 2007, 07:56 Jerykk

What we need is nothing different, just an UPDATED Tribes 2.

Actually, I want an updated Tribes 1 kthx. Tribes 1 > Tribes 2. Much faster, practically non-existent vehicles, no heat-seeking missile launchers that force everyone to carry flares.... the Shocklance was cool, though.

22. ... Dec 24, 2007, 07:41 theyarecomingforyou

I don't like the HUD, or the trails, or the models. If you want the tribes experience, load up Tribes 2 and forget about these lame attempts. It won't ever be the same.
The simple truth is they're never going to please all the old Tribes 2 fans. I can remember all the fuss that accompanied every patch and tweak to the game... and they were the people that had already bought the game! I'm all for them trying to improve the formula rather than just remaking it - then there's the potential for them to make it a lot better. Loads of servers played with heavily modded features anyway, particularly the deployables. They need to keep the large levels and skiing but there's still room for improvement on Tribes 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

21. The good the bad and the ugly Dec 24, 2007, 06:42 Beaner

Granted this is a very early alpha video. So I dont want to be too hasty to judge, but based on the video:

The good is that the landscapes look very Tribes like. Im sure its on a variant of Torque so the maps shouldn't have any hard boundaries lots of hilly landscapes and netcode should be excellent (although Im not so sure about this browser thingy). Jetting is there. Thats the Good.

The bad, well the jetting is there but jesus its more like flying than skiing or jetting, but again its early alpha. so far the direction looks exciting, but I wish they'd hire on some of the guys that turned Tribes 2 around like Zod and Zodd. Put those guys in charge of physics.

The ugly. Why can't Tribes ever get away from looking corny. The models are ok but whats the deal with the big honkin packs on the back and the crazy jet trails. Tribes Vengeance started off doing the same thing and eventually people agreed the trails were just annoying. At least let us turn that crap off. Give us some kick ass light models along with the heavy and mediums. Light models that looks fast and stealthy.

Other than that, I am intrigued.

20. Re: 50 / 50 Dec 24, 2007, 06:06 mOOzilla

Consider it feedback for the experiments

----

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo