Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ArmA: Armed Assault Beta Patch

The Bohemia Interactive Community offers a new beta patch for ArmA: Armed Assault, updating the military shooter to (beta) version 1.09 (thanks Tiscali Games). The update is a use-at-your-own-risk affair, and is not fully tested and stable. The beta installs alongside, not over, the full version though, so you should still be able to run the original game after installing the beta.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 23:32 Dmitri_M

And of course you are a miserable troll with nothing better to do on Christmas Eve. Lonely cunt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 23:23 Mustang60348

MustyOdor: The last refuge of the fanboi, playing silly bugger games with an online handle. Of course you are a fanboi of BIS.

19. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 23:12 Dmitri_M

No matter the engine problems, the lack of decent publishers (I doubt BIS have access to a QA department - we are the beta testers) or their releasing it far too early - there just isn't any competition as regards an open ended military tac shooter. We all know the game's faults, but there isn't any alternative to it.

BTW, the Demo of the OFP-to-ArmA mod, Cold War Rearmed has gone live.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=e559fb7357ee87d675b9148394664aaa;act=ST;f=70;t=70641;&#top

"Dmitri: I know exactly what is being discussed here. And you are obivously a bit of a BIS Fanboi and are failing to lay the blame for any failure of this game where the blame lies, at the feet of the developers."

Listen here, MustyOdor. Perhaps you should reread my post. No where to did I say BIS are without blame. If anything, I'm a "fanboi" of the mod community, not BIS.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 23:23.

18. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 20:58 HellSlayer

Ya, I agree! People said this same thing about the release of Hellgate:London. Let us all blame EA for it! Wait, if Flagship signed an agreement with a completion date, that is a mistake on their part, not EA's. You can not tell me money was not a motive on FSS part as well, they got offered dollar signs and they went for it. Let us not blame EA here, it was the Devs that agreed to it as well. We all have free will!:)I think in the long run FSS will suffer because of this and EA wont feel a thing:/ Then again...flash a few million in my face and I might say lets release a game for Christmas no matter what!

We also have to look at this world wide release crap that sounds so good for us.Most developers hype their games up so much it is just scary. Most games do not have demos before the release anymore because of this reason. They add a few more levels,maybe a few more guns and make it sound like heaven on earth. They throw a new name at something, instead of AI we hear hype like "Real Deal Spankage Skilling Robots of War" and once you get in game, haha wow is this what they were talking about? Same AI that quake had!:) World wide releases makes it a lot better for avg game developers to make a fortune because most people that buy into the hype wont be swayed by people that have played the retail version for a few weeks. We can say publishers control the mood, but I disagree. If Developers really care about their games, they would not seek out a world wide release or "evil publishers" to make more people buy their games at the expense of game quality or their vision! The devs have power too and if they sell out to EA, who is really at fault here? I think businesses should make money, but not at the expense of quality!
This comment was edited on Dec 23, 21:20.

o0

17. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 19:50 Jeraxle

While I agree Jim, I find the best way around those problems is to play with people you know and like. The fun is always better with like minded people.

That said, I find it hard to get togeather 12 like minded people to play and that would leave a empty playing field in a game like this (I only every play demo) but for co-op, THAT ROCKS!

You should try www.tacticalgamer.com . I've played with those guys a lot and they rock! It's all about the realism for them (what this 'game' is supposed to be about).

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

16. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 17:33 Kosumo

they're at the mercy of their publishers for how they get paid.

If they choose to be. I thought we all got rid of the slave trade?? (mostly)

15. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 16:29 Bet

I wonder if some gamers EVER blame the developers for screw ups in their game instead of blaming the publishers all the time, that is getting OLD too. Developers are the ones who create the bugs and do testing as well. Developers don't just hand a game to a QA team on the publisher without testing it internally.

Until the publisher allows the developers to remove the copy protection on the game, I put the blame for most things pretty squarely on the publisher, especially lack of support. Or in this case, on ArmA's FIVE publishers. Or is it six? Wonder how many QA staff spread out between those publishers are producing constructive bug reports.

Pretty sure that for at least 3 of the publishers, there are zero QA testers for gameplay bugs. BIS is a small developer, they're at the mercy of their publishers for how they get paid. And the mistakes of the publishers trickle down to both them and us.

14. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 16:02 Kosumo

While I agree Jim, I find the best way around those problems is to play with people you know and like. The fun is always better with like minded people.

That said, I find it hard to get togeather 12 like minded people to play and that would leave a empty playing field in a game like this (I only every play demo) but for co-op, THAT ROCKS!

13. No subject Dec 23, 2007, 14:46 Donkey_Punch

I absolutely love Arma but the fact that script kiddies can easily run client-side scripts is ridiculous. Wallhacks and speedhacks are one thing that every game suffers from but it was insane that clients could spawn objects, change everyone's score, remove or add weapons to everyone on the server, etc.

Biggest security hole in gaming history. It is pathetic it took them over 6 months to address this problem. My faith in Arma 2 and BIS is rattled.

12. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 12:44 fangster

It's a great game. Glad this came out. Now I have to fire up arma for some coop missions.

Hey did anyone make the main campaign coop like in opflash ??

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 12:49.

11. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 10:36 Joss

That and Arma is (for me) the first official success of CO-OP. I might have to wait until this new beta patch goes official before going back to the game though.

Had lots of fun with this game!

10. No subject Dec 23, 2007, 08:32 tuddies

just like oblivion, the devs provided an extensible toolset. a sound addon, DMarkwick smoke, ArmaEffects, DSAI and you have yourself miles beyond vanilla ArmA.

Who would imagine playing vanilla Oblivion? Same thing with ArmA.

This game has no peer.

9. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2007, 07:46 Mustang60348

Dmitri: I know exactly what is being discussed here. And you are obivously a bit of a BIS Fanboi and are failing to lay the blame for any failure of this game where the blame lies, at the feet of the developers.

8. No opinion Dec 22, 2007, 23:00 Dmitri_M

You fail at opinion.

7. No subject Dec 22, 2007, 22:34 BeefJerky

I'd post up my views on the subject, but I joined BluesNews after Dmitri_M, so my opinion means nothing.

6. No subject Dec 22, 2007, 20:53 Donkey_Punch

Not many servers using this beta patch.

5. No subject Dec 22, 2007, 20:03 LittleMe

This game DEFINITELY needs this patch. I had given up on the game. Crossing fingers.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

4. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2007, 19:12 Dmitri_M

I wonder if you even know about what's being discussed here.

3. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2007, 18:39 Mustang60348

I wonder if some gamers EVER blame the developers for screw ups in their game instead of blaming the publishers all the time, that is getting OLD too. Developers are the ones who create the bugs and do testing as well. Developers don't just hand a game to a QA team on the publisher without testing it internally.

2. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2007, 15:09 Dmitri_M

Yeah, 1.09 has many solid improvements. Performance is much smoother too.

They are starting to act too much like UBI by cutting and running instead of fixing their existing products.

UBI is a major publisher. BIS is a smallish developer.
They're an indie-like company producing FPS. There's a reason most smaller developers stick to other genres, or if they do create a FPS, license someone else's engine.

ArmA1 is Arma2. Whatever they develop in 1 goes into 2.

That said, I've also been a bit disappointed with the way things have gone over the past year, partly by the official forums and the flood of 2007 join date idiots. "Constructive criticism" is a foreign concept.
This comment was edited on Dec 22, 17:52.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo