Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Patch Delay

The inCrysis Crysis Forums have word from Crytek on the status of Crysis patches, the SDK, and the Linux dedicated server (thanks McSterls). The update offers patch notes for the first patch and beyond, word on plans for improved mod support, and says that a Linux server is in the works, but currently has no ETA. The update also confesses to a delay for the first patch, saying "Unfortunately due to heavy technical issues that appeared right before the patch was declared final we could not release it in time." Word on release plans is: "Based on this feedback we will be able to set a release date for the long awaited Patch #1 for Crysis. If no major problems occur we expect to have it available for public download within January 2008. This is of course related to the reports from the QA departments, but we are confident to match the schedule."

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: ... Dec 27, 2007, 20:24 Krovven

Jerykk still not grasping the "opinion" part of it.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Gear Heads Dec 26, 2007, 10:14 ap90033

ouch, no life? Thats a little harsh. Maybe SLI users have a decent job that pays decent money and they choose to buy a nicer system or build one? I for one and planning on building a SLI system just to see how well it performs. I have a life thank you, actually its pretty good. If you dont want or like SLI thats fine. But you really dont have to sound so bitter or hateful.

Jesus loves you and so do I... Peace.

43. Re: ... Dec 25, 2007, 19:10 Jerykk

I know of no better multiplayer shooter.

*cough*Tribes*cough*

But to each their own.

42. ... Dec 25, 2007, 10:45 theyarecomingforyou

After being in development for 8 years, TF2 should be the best multiplayer shooter ever. But it isn't.
I'm sorry but I, and many others, consider it to be the best multiplayer shooter to date. I know of no better multiplayer shooter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

41. Re: ... Dec 24, 2007, 19:15 Jerykk

It's not a matter of opinions... it about looking at the evidence.

You do realize that reviews are opinions, right?

The Orange Box has been getting great reviews universally, whereas Crysis has been getting pretty poor reviews (with the occasional 95% ratings as well).

Um, the average Metacritic score for Crysis is 91%. Not exactly pretty poor. But that's besides the point. TF2 was in development for 8 years. That's almost as long as DNF. After being in development for 8 years, TF2 should be the best multiplayer shooter ever. But it isn't. Therefore, it didn't live up to the hype.

40. ... Dec 23, 2007, 21:55 theyarecomingforyou

Actually, it didn't. TF2 has been in development for how long? At least 8 years, if I recall correctly. After 8 years, I'd expect more than 6 maps and definitely more gameplay depth than the extremely inflexible class system allows.
So it gets brilliant reviews, top ratings from the public and forums heaped with praise and yet you can say that it didn't live up to the hype? It's not a matter of opinions... it about looking at the evidence. The Orange Box has been getting great reviews universally, whereas Crysis has been getting pretty poor reviews (with the occasional 95% ratings as well). The Orange Box has been getting universal praise from users, where Crysis has been wildly varying from brilliant to terrible.

Obviously I can't criticise whether you personally thought it lived up to the hype but I think it's fair to say the public perception is that it did, whereas Crysis did not. The technical problems with Crysis mean that even people that like the gameplay / plot and let down by the engine and technical side of things.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

39. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 10:13 CreamyBlood

Actually, forget about it.

I haven't been able to login for over two days. What a waste of money.

Perhaps your experience will be better, but not for me.

I bought it, I get kicked out. Only fourty bucks, but sort of a waste. Put your money somewhere else.

38. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 08:01 CreamyBlood

Quit waffaling.

Well, give it another try.

Ignore the vehicles as that's not what ET is all about.

ALL id software products are hitscan. Except for the rocket launcher, every game they've ever made is hitscan, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

Personally, I'm almost fourty years old and I enjoy killing people with my mouse. It works for me in BF42, usually. But that isn't hitscan, it's projectile/random/cone based, just like BF2.

In BF2 you'll find that you can shoot someone in the head with an entire clip and watch him turn around and drop you with one shot. That's old news.

Or, your finally 'upgrade' to a medic with a good gun and suddenly you're wasting people left, right and centre. Just silly if you ask me.

Quake is point, aim, shoot, dead. Simple.

I'm quite happy that you've replied to me, but instead of coming up with some 'excuse' as to why you haven't played it, go download it, play it and get back to me in a few days. Then tell me what you think of it.

http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/130

While doing that watch the training videos:

GDF Valley Training
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/12591.html

Strogg Valley Training
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/12592.html

Read the Valley Map Guide:
http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/91

37. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 07:34 Jerykk

Well, the hitscan is just as good or better than any Quake.

Well, that's the thing. I don't like hitscan. I like being able to see and dodge projectiles as they are flying through the air. I like leading my targets and compensating my aim accordingly as I predict where they are going to be next. That's what I meant by ET:QW not feeling anything like Quake.

As for the BF comparison, I was mainly thinking of the vehicles. I'm not a big fan of vehicles in first-person shooters.

I'll give it another try but the lack of Quake feeling will likely turn me off again.

36. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 07:26 CreamyBlood

Well, the hitscan is just as good or better than any Quake.

So get in there. When I point my mouse at someones head and hit the 'trigger', it hit's them and usually kills them. Likewise to me. I don't feel burned. There isn't any 'rolling of the dice' or 'hit cone' like other games.

It isn't a hybrid between the Battlefields and anything. BF is musical flags, ET is objective based. The classes aren't as flexible as it sounds like you'd like, but they have a lot of options. Try being a field op. But I'd recommend not doing so until you have a clue of what you're doing.

Download the demo and find out for yourself. It's free, and in my opinion, it's a 'real' hardcore multiplayer game. Fast twitch based gameplay, intelligent objectives with complicated classes.

There are potential drawbacks, like some people don't like the animations, or the graphics look dated. But I don't care. The gameplay is hardcore. Let me know what you think as I usually agree with your opinions.

35. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 06:14 Jerykk

I'm just wondering what you think of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.

I don't really have a qualified opinion on that as I only played the beta for a few hours. I didn't get into it because it didn't feel like Quake to me and that's what I really wanted. Instead it felt like a hybrid between Wolf: ET and BF2 with a dash of Quake. It also has a bit of a learning curve so if I had spent more time with the game, I'm sure I would have appreciated it a lot more.

34. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 05:08 CreamyBlood

After 8 years, I'd expect more than 6 maps and definitely more gameplay depth than the extremely inflexible class system allows.

Jerykk, although you sometimes come across as being young and opinionated, which isn't a problem, I find I am more often than not in agreement with your analysis of games in general.

I'm just wondering what you think of Quake Wars: Enemy Territory. Despite it's shortcomings I think it's probabably the best multiplayer shooter out there at the moment. Without comparing it to 'Tribes', what do you think?

33. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 04:59 CreamyBlood

I quite enjoy the game during the parts where there AREN'T ANY HELICOPTERS.

I can't play Crysis but will eventually. But I can say that that one level in FarCry where you're on a bunker hilltop and the helicopter comes swooping up really sucked. It took me a couple of days, I don't know how many hours, to get past that. Couldn't get through the door until you killed the helicopter. Pissed me right off.

Maybe that same sadistic level designer did that to you in Crysis?

32. Re: ... Dec 23, 2007, 01:31 Jerykk

Yes, but you said earlier don't play it in stealth because the AI isn't any good.

It's true that the stealth approach is far less enjoyable due to the shoddy AI. However, that doesn't mean you can't use it to compliment other approaches. That's where the "dynamic" part of Crysis' gameplay comes in.

A poll for game of the year showed The Orange Box first (around 43,000 votes), COD4 second (around 38,000 votes) and Crysis towards the bottom (with around 3000-6000 votes).

Ah, yes, because polls are such a reliable indicator of a game's quality. Oh, wait, no they aren't. If they were, the Spike TV Videogame Awards wouldn't be completely worthless. In addition, Orange Box is technically five games so the polls should have listed each individual game instead of the bundle.

Actually, Team Fortress 2 did.

Actually, it didn't. TF2 has been in development for how long? At least 8 years, if I recall correctly. After 8 years, I'd expect more than 6 maps and definitely more gameplay depth than the extremely inflexible class system allows.

Half-Life 1 & 2 had great plots hence why they are the both regarded as the best first person shooters in history.

Really? What exactly was the plot of Half-Life 2, again? If I recall correctly, it wasn't exactly compelling, complex or even really there. You spend the duration of the game going to a bunch of random locations, helping the resistance in various ways, then you return to City 17 and blow shit up. Who are the Combine? Where do they come from? What are their plans? How did the Earth get taken over? Nothing is answered throughout the course of the game. Compare HL2's nonexistent plot to that of Deus Ex, Bloodlines or any game with an actual plot and you'll see the folly of your statement.

And I don't regard the HL games as the best first-person shooters in history, especially not HL2. Valve's designers have an annoying tendency of introducing a game mechanic, beating it to death and then never using it again. Refer to the prolonged vehicle, antlion spore and squad segments of HL2, the prolonged pitch black and antlion hole levels of Episode 1, etc. Granted, Episode 2 was an improvement but still suffered from the issues.

You can't justify Crysis being bad by saying plots are always bad and you shouldn't play it in stealth.

Justify it being bad? I never called Crysis bad, you did. I justified it as being good because it has good action. As a shooter, that's the most important part, is it not?

31. ... Dec 23, 2007, 00:15 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know. Seems like a pretty sad existence to me. But what do I know?
Nothing?

Maybe you should just be happy with what you like and not worry so much about what other people like? It's as if you must be right all the time and if someone disagrees with you, you become annoyed?
Not at all. It's about me trying to enlighten other people, particularly those that claim Crysis is the best first person shooter in history. I object to that because there are so many better games out there - games with better plots, more polished engines and more enjoyable gameplay. If people play the other games I suggest and still think that Crysis is great or the best first person shooter then that's fine... I just don't think it's likely. Opinions are opinions and they are individual but I am firmly of the opinion that if you break down Crysis into sections you will see that other games have done most sections a lot better... a certain amount is subjective but Crysis has serious flaws.

NEway, that's my opinion. I express it because I want to. I don't hate / dislike people that disagree with it and am happy to hear why people like Crysis... it's just most people say they just like it without explaining why, which doesn't enlighten me as to their point of view.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 00:16.

30. Re: ... Dec 22, 2007, 22:33 doktor_tchock

I quite enjoy the game during the parts where there AREN'T ANY HELICOPTERS. When the helicopters come around with their stupidly omniscient AI that can see you whether you're cloaked or not including through the roofs of buildings, it gets less fun. The heli AI is just plain out of place with the way the rest of the game works, it basically breaks it for me.

All the reviews are saying "you can do things your own way" -- well, not when it comes to helicopters. With helicopters, you've GOT to shoot them down or be constantly dogged by them for the entire mission. There's no stealth option or means of escape.

If the patch fixes helicopters, I'll be a happy camper with this game.

29. Re: ... Dec 22, 2007, 16:00 Jeraxle

The only reason I post here is that I'm annoyed people are wasting their time with this when there are much better games out there - games like The Orange Box, Call Of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, etc.

Maybe you should just be happy with what you like and not worry so much about what other people like? It's as if you must be right all the time and if someone disagrees with you, you become annoyed?

I don't know. Seems like a pretty sad existence to me. But what do I know?

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

28. Re: ... Dec 22, 2007, 14:09 Sepharo

That doesn't make it a crappy game. No game ever lives up to the hype.

Eh, I'm not the guy saying it's a crappy game. I'm just saying it isn't good enough to spend my time on. And I was explaining that people rag on it because it was so hyped.

Right now in order of how much time I spend on them this is what I'm playing:

CoD4
TF2
CS:S
The Witcher
Quake 3

And games I've recently finished:
Portal
Episode 2
Bioshock
Overlord
Sam and Max Season 1
Stalker (not beaten but finished playing)

And after all those titles I still do plan to play Crysis and ET:QW just don't have the time or initiative right now.

27. ... Dec 22, 2007, 13:30 theyarecomingforyou

Darn those multi-syllable words... they get me everytime.

26. Re: ... Dec 22, 2007, 12:31 Krovven

Team Fortress 2 did the same for singleplayer

Multiplayer

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo