Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Something odd is happening on one of my email accounts (basically unrelated to this site). In investigating a missing email I noticed that besides having failed to receive the mail in question, I also am receiving a suspiciously minute amount of spam through this account, which has no spam filter, and has historically collected hundreds of unwanted messages a day. Now obviously I don't *miss* the spam, per se, but I was concerned enough at the prospect that I'm losing messages to call my ISP to investigate. So far the cause of this situation has not been determined, but in the meantime I find the fact that I called my ISP to complain, in effect, that I was not receiving enough spam pretty darned amusing.

Spam Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Defender. Thanks Jason.
Science: Greenhouse clue to water on Mars.
NES Influenced Wedding Cakes, Favors, and Themes.
Media: Dear Santa. Thanks Enahs.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Defender Dec 22, 2007, 09:34 DG

enjoyed that, any other good online games on very similar gameplay?

edit: apparently theyre called tower defence games, http://www.candystand.com/uk/play.do?id=17995 is ok.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 12:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Compy Question Dec 21, 2007, 22:36 Dan =0)

So, I'm replying to my own post...

Anywho (yes, it's 10:30pm or so), memory's installed - bumped up to 768MB, and significantly faster. Whatever I did inside the case blew away whatever Windows remembered about ANY of the hardware, so it's in process of reinstalling all drivers...

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

28. Re: Compy Question Dec 21, 2007, 20:14 Dan =0)

Hi guys,

Thanks to Enahs for the suggestions last night regarding the computer - I'm on it right now (XP Home SP2 w/ 256 MB of RAM.. ugh... I told the family that owns it what to get 6 months ago for RAM, and they haven't gotten it!).

The video card in question is a Radeon 9200 type card from XFX with VGA and S-Video out. There's also an onboard Intel graphics chipset, but they're not using that at all. Anyway, I tried updating the vid driver for the XFX through WinUpdate (bad idea) and it turns out that it only updates the primary driver (updated to 2006...), and not the one for the secondary (still stays at 2004 vintage). I'm rolling back the drivers now, and am going straight to the original source - ATI - to see if there's anything more recent...

I did test RealPlayer playback with their most recent item having been played... one of the Czech TV channels - NOVA (no relation whatsoever to the science program). I would even go so far as to say that it is not at all safe for work - at least in the US - due to extreme lack of clothing, and an extreme abundance of... positions.

Guess I caught the channel at the right time. It'd be a little after 2am there, I think.

Dan =0)

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 20:15.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

27. Xmas Lights! Dec 21, 2007, 19:02 Cutter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21855244@N08/favorites/show/

Wow, some of these are fantastic! Certainly will put you in the Xmas mood.

P.S. Thanks WH

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: A nice little gift Dec 21, 2007, 17:56 Warhawk

Hey Cutter-

Shoot me an email if you are interested in where to get this stuff - I'll send you a link.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

25. Re: A nice little gift Dec 21, 2007, 17:50 Cutter

Nice. I'm mad for the olive oil! I'm acutally in the process of getting back into business for myself with a specialty fine foods shop. Olive oil being a major part of it.

I'm doing a lot of research on various oils from around the world atm. If anyone's really interested, the best book on the subject is the aptly named, Olive Oil by Charles Quest-Ritson (available from DK Books @ dk.com). It has tasting notes for approximately 2000 oils worldwide, lists them by region, olive varieties, top producers, etc.

For example: Arbequina Olives originate from Spain. "This variety is considered hardy because of its resistance to cold weather. It comes into bearing early. The fruit has a medium removal force but its small size hinders mechanical harvesting. Oil content is high and the oil is of excellent quality."

Just last week I made a purchase of Oleo de la Marchia, made by Del Carmine in Marche, Italy. This stuff costs $50 for a half litre (about half a quart for you non-metric types). Pricey, but glorious. You can really tell the difference between this as a finishing oil versus your standard EVOO from the supermarket. This stuff can get more expensive than drugs.

And it's got all kinds of competitions worldwide. The North American one is in Miami in April this year - which I may just attend, Hell, you can even become a certified taster in the EU. The world of olive oil is a fascinating one indeed! And remember, unlike wine, olive oil doesn't get better with age. The fresher it is, the better it is. So don't use it too sparingly.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

24. Re: A nice little gift Dec 21, 2007, 15:37 xXBatmanXx

That is a great gift WH - I use a lot of EVOO....

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. A nice little gift Dec 21, 2007, 14:09 Warhawk

The CEO of our small company just came around the office and gave everyone a nice little gift. His family owns a farm/ranch and they grow olives, among other things. He was passing out bottles of Arbequina Extra Virgin olive oil made at their ranch. Good stuff!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

22. No subject Dec 21, 2007, 13:30 xXBatmanXx

Well, I don't get a flu shot - my body can fight it off, if I HAPPEN to get the flu, my body will be that much stronger the next time around....

I have gotten the flu once a few years ago after taking my nephews to Chuck E Cheese.....I didn't wash my hands enough while I was there.

Unless you just get really lucky, the flu is (to me) a dirty person's sickness. I wash my hand religiously, I don't touch door handles, etc etc etc.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Dec 21, 2007, 13:24 Jim

I have an LCD that clicks all the time when its warming up.

I noticed just the opposite. I had gotten so used to my old CRT clicking during certain events (start up, shut down, playing games, etc) that it seemed odd that when I replaced it with an LCD a few months ago I noticed it NOT clicking. I don't think its clicked once, not even when I turn it on or off. And none of that annoying "crackling" I used to get when I shut the CRT off either.

Jim

20. Re: Flu shot... Dec 21, 2007, 13:05 Warhawk

Damn can't believe you guys are not getting flu shots

My wife and 4.5 year old son got the flu shot earlier this year. He got the flu yesterday. She's a kindergarten teacher and will probably catch something anyways. She always does.

I rarely get sick other than minor colds, so I don't get the shot. It's not a fear of needles at all (I donate blood regularly, for instance), I just don't see the need for me personally.

I got really sick with a stomach bug last year. That was the first time in many years. And I think it was food poisoning, as it was over in less than 24 hours.

19. Re: Flu shot... Dec 21, 2007, 12:53 Acleacius

Good info there, Warhawk, thanks.

Damn can't believe you guys are not getting flu shots, its still not to late as a matter of fact flu is lasting longer now in to March, maybe April and they are getting more dangerous. It takes about 2 weeks to get antibodies built up once you get the shot, since it's lasting longer they have been suggesting you try to last till after Halloween before getting one, it's almost to the point of getting two a year, if the medical professions are already. Just because you get on case of the flu doesn't not prevent you from getting another strain in the same season.

In case your frightened of needles they have a Nasal Spray available, mostly used for infants and elderly, but as long as there isn't a shortage of the Nasal dose you can request it.
So, get your asses to the Topless Flu Shot Shop!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: No more spam here too. Dec 21, 2007, 12:43 Acleacius

The spam stops once the NSA starts monitoring your email accounts, since they don't allow spam.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: Flu shot... Dec 21, 2007, 12:34 Warhawk

A co-worker was telling me statistics say that on average a person only gets the flu once in their life. The rest of the time it's just some stomach bug or something. I don't know how true that is, it could be bunk.

Sounds like bunk to me, based on the book I was recommending the other day on this (The Great Influenza) and the following:

From wiki (influenza):

Most people who get influenza will recover in one to two weeks, but others will develop life-threatening complications (such as pneumonia). According to the World Health Organization: "Every winter, tens of millions of people get the flu. Most are home, sick and miserable, for about a week.

As influenza is caused by a variety of species and strains of viruses, in any given year some strains can die out while others create epidemics while yet another strain can cause a pandemic. Typically, in a year's normal two flu seasons (one per hemisphere) there are between three and five million cases of severe illness and up to 500,000 deaths worldwide, which by some definitions is a yearly influenza epidemic.[68] Although the incidence of influenza can vary widely between years, approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations are directly associated with influenza every year in America.[69][70][71] Every ten to twenty years a pandemic occurs, which infects a large proportion of the world's population, and can kill tens of millions of people (see history section).

It is possible to get vaccinated and still get influenza. The vaccine is reformulated each season for a few specific flu strains, but cannot possibly include all the strains actively infecting people in the world for that season. It takes about six months for the manufacturers to formulate and produce the millions of doses required to deal with the seasonal epidemics; occasionally, a new or overlooked strain becomes prominent during that time and infects people although they have been vaccinated (as by the H3N2 Fujian flu in the 20032004 flu season).[76] It is also possible to get infected just before vaccination and get sick with the very strain that the vaccine is supposed to prevent, as the vaccine takes about two weeks to become effective.[55]

From the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease.htm):

Most people who get influenza will recover in a few days to less than 2 weeks, but some people will develop life-threatening complications (such as pneumonia) as a result of the flu. Millions of people in the United States about 5% to 20% of U.S. residents will get influenza each year. An average of about 36,000 people per year in the United States die from influenza, and more than 200,000 have to be admitted to the hospital as a result of influenza.

Your respiratory illness might be the flu if you have sudden onset of body aches, high fever, and respiratory symptoms, and your illness occurs during the usual flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. However, during this time, other respiratory illnesses can cause similar symptoms to the flu. In addition, influenza can also occur outside of the typical flu season. It is impossible to tell for sure if you have the flu based on symptoms alone. Doctors can perform tests to see if you have the flu if you are in the first few days of your illness.

Many people use the term "stomach flu" to describe illnesses with nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms can be caused by many different viruses, bacteria or even parasites. While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or "sick to your stomach" can sometimes be related to the flu particularly in children these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza. The flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 12:35.

16. Re: A smile for you ... Dec 21, 2007, 12:21 Warhawk

Although some of those had me wondering if they were staged.

Some were definitely faked. Monitor isn't even hooked up to anything when they pick it up and throw it, etc.

15. Re: Flu shot... Dec 21, 2007, 12:19 kanniballl

Ok, I'm a convert. I'll be getting one from now on. I just came off a full week of being sick as hell. I can't even recall the last time I was this sick. It was brutal. I still feel like a sack of crap. The flu is no fun, kids.

A co-worker was telling me statistics say that on average a person only gets the flu once in their life. The rest of the time it's just some stomach bug or something. I don't know how true that is, it could be bunk.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: No more spam here too. Dec 21, 2007, 12:16 kanniballl

Most spam I receive goes into Verizon's "spam detector" folder

My Verizon Spam detector is completely worthless. I even try to help it out by flagging email as spam. Yet somehow my mailbox gets filled with the garbage. It was fine until about 1 or 2 years ago, then BAM.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: A smile for you ... Dec 21, 2007, 12:16 nin

In investigating a missing email I noticed that besides having failed to receive the mail in question, I also am receiving a suspiciously minute amount of spam through this account, which has no spam filter, and has historically collected hundreds of unwanted messages a day. Now obviously I don't *miss* the spam, per se, but I was concerned enough at the prospect that I'm losing messages to call my ISP to investigate. So far the cause of this situation has not been determined, but in the meantime I find the fact that I called my ISP to complain, in effect, that I was not receiving enough spam pretty darned amusing.

You sure the account hasn't been compromised? (IE someone figured out your password)

Be careful...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: A smile for you ... Dec 21, 2007, 12:01 Capella

I get to go skiing again today, but for all you working stiffs, this ones for you (apologies if it's already been posted sometime):

http://glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=baddayoffice

Holly shit!! I had not seen that before other than one of those clips. That had me rolling! Although some of those had me wondering if they were staged.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

11. Re: Dec 21, 2007, 12:00 skyguy

I have an LCD that clicks all the time when its warming up.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo