Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Video

The promised teaser video from Duke Nukem Forever is now available, just about an hour earlier than the noon CST release predicted yesterday (story). The blurb promising the trailer was updated by George Broussard at some point to temper expectations a bit, saying: "This is a teaser. It's not a full blown trailer like the 2001 trailer (but something like that is coming). I tried to be clear about that in the message board post, so just bear in mind that it's a teaser :)" The clip includes gameplay footage, Jon St. John returning as the voice of Duke, and the music of game composers Jeremy Soule and Julian Soule. It runs around a minute and ten seconds and is available in five variants, covering 720p and 480p resolutions in either QuickTime or Windows Media Player formats as well as one in iPhone format. I tried to get an answer to whether the 480p and 720p formats indicate plans for console editions, but there are no such formal announcements being made (which sounds more like a confirmation than a denial). As could be predicted, the 3D Realms Website is fairly hosed at the moment, but the trailer downloads have premiered on FileShack, and mirrors of one or more of the clips can be found ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, GamesFire, Gamer's Hell, PixelRage, and Primotech. An accompanying blurb on Shacknews quotes George Broussard as saying that their release date is still "when it's done," but "you can expect more frequent media releases and we're not changing engines again and we have considerable work behind us." He also does not confirm nor deny plans for console editions, but his answer seems to hint that they will happen. Shack also has a history of development of this game, offering a timeline of a project that's taken longer than NASA took to put a man on the moon.

View
180 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

180. Bad concept Jan 22, 2008, 08:21 ukblaze

DNF4 is surely just a terrible marketing concept designed to keep 3DRealms in the public eye without actually doing anything.
Even the title "Forever" suggests it will never emerge.
Scott whateverhisnameis seems to fancy himself as a brand & marketing expert. Trouble is we're not that dumb.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

179. Re: Heavy Dec 30, 2007, 02:40 Wolftrap40

Well, they mishandled a franchise...now, they have to resurrect it. It's hard enough just to break ice. Go ahead, Broussard, challenge Guitar Hero, challenge Halo, Counterstrike, all the new best...challenge all the latest greatest...a new generation won't even look your way unless you freaking make this so kickass that you win minds. Maybe, at this date, you should go into realestate.

178. Re: Heavy Dec 26, 2007, 09:24 Mr. Tact

Well said, Prez. Personally I hope the game is never released because I'll have to find a new thing to go with my, "Yeah, I get to that right after DNF comes out." 8)  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

177. Re: I can't wait Dec 26, 2007, 08:31 Tango

When it comes out (whenever this is) I'll do what I usually do - I'll read a review or two, I'll check out what people say on Blues - and unless it's utter shit I'll buy it because DN3D was the game that got me into FPS, the game that got me into making levels (Build Editor ftw :)) and it was a huge amount of fun.

I guess I don't understand why everyone is so pissed off over a very delayed game. Get over it - surely there's better stuff to get angry about?!

176. Re: I can't wait Dec 26, 2007, 08:30 Tango

Edit - double post
This comment was edited on Dec 26, 08:32.

175. Re: I can't wait Dec 25, 2007, 03:27 Wolftrap40

A distant memory, yes, but a good one. But come hell or high water, don't ever go to thier forum and criticize them for their lack of conviction, dream, or business prowess. On their forums, they want only dedicated fanbois. They can't STAND someone tapping them on their shoulder to remind them of thier lying, lack-of-substance, media failures. Go there and chat...but if you don't kiss their ass, don't go there at all.

174. Re: I can't wait Dec 24, 2007, 13:25 CreamyBlood

I think even a mediocre game released as dnf would have killed the franchise.

It isn't a 'franchise'. It's a distant memory.

173. Re: I can't wait Dec 23, 2007, 17:02 frag.machine

I am so used to believe DNF won't never come out that now the smallest chance of this actually happen kinda disappoints me.

Also, is funny how every little crumb of information easily makes any thread in the forums to blow the roof for several days. Don't matter what people say, everybody is awaiting for this game. Even if only to spit on it if in the end the thing totally sucks.

172. I can't wait Dec 23, 2007, 15:35 grahamslam

Personally, I can't wait for this game to come out. I mean I'm one who loved duke3d, even after quake came out I still had multi-player fun with duke for some time.
Here's my view, not like most of you give a shit, but here it is anyway.

If DNF didn't meet the internal expectations on what they wanted to accomplish back in 2001 or 2002 or whatever, and it caused them to need to advance to the next generation and start over, then I'm all for that. Here is why:

I think even a mediocre game released as dnf would have killed the franchise. They understood by then that with the delays, this game had higher expectations and needed to incorporate everything in their vision. I'm going to use diakatana to make some points. That game was actually good. I played through the whole game TWICE even (something I rarely do). Reviewers couldn't wait for the full game to come out to jump on the bandwagon and make bad reviews, so they reviewed the demo as a full game. Unfortunately for most gamers, they bought into the reviews and didn't have the pleasure of experiencing a good game. It wasn't a groundbreaking game and had a few bugs that were fixed with a patch (what game doesnt get patched these days?). My whole point you say? That diakatana won't be made into diakatana 2 with a fancy new engine and more content and gamers are the ones who lose out. Nowadays it seems that all we get are clones (how many ww2 games are there?) Not much in terms of variety. So if the engine at the time couldn't make duke run efficient and incorporate all the interaction they wanted, then it's better to wait and release a really good game on an updated platform.

We have yet to see if this game will be good or not because it isnt even out. The trailer isn't even out (it was a teaser). I thought the models were great (can't say graphics because all they showed were a couple model) Pretty graphics don't make a game, but they do make a good game better. Crysis is gorgeous if you can run it on high quality, but the gameplay isn't groundbreaking, and apparently not many people can run it because the sales aren't that great.

If it doesn't come out or it does come out and you dont buy it, what have you lost?
If it does come out and it is really good, what have you gained? You only gain the good experience of playing it if you buy it. If you don't intend to ever buy it, then you gain nothing anyway, so if you consider yourself a gamer, then it's your loss.

171. Re: Heavy Dec 23, 2007, 06:50 Eldaron Imotholin

Good for you, then =)

I feel sad for 3DR. The amount of pressure they're under to make the best FPS ever made is literally killing them, I think. No, really, I think they're all suicidal and wish they released the game they had back in 2001. Now they are in hell. Pure, pure hell. The amount of cash put into its development is simply horrific (time = money, after all) and because of all the years of stalling this game's release, the public expects and accepts nothing else but the best FPS ever.

I feel sad for 3D Realms.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 06:51.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

170. Re: Heavy Dec 23, 2007, 04:39 CreamyBlood

What in God's name is the point of releasing a "teaser" video after 11 years of development?

I like how it brings all of the rodents out of the woodwork and gives us 168 posts of variable entertainment.

Couldn't give a shit about Duke myself.

169. Re: Heavy Dec 23, 2007, 01:58 Wolftrap40

LOL, I think Prez hit the nail on the head.

Man, DNF could have been SO MUCH. Look at Half-Life, Dooms, Quakes, Elder Scrolls...all they turned into because their creators had a vision. Somewhere along the way, the DN staff dropped theirs. Anyone with conviction can pursue a dream, regardless of obstacles. I think maybe Broussard spent the company funds on Dunkin' Donuts and Pizza Hut. Yeah, that must be it.

168. Re: Heavy Dec 22, 2007, 22:29 [VG]Reagle

How do you really feel Prez?  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

167. Re: Heavy Dec 22, 2007, 07:45 Prez

What in God's name is the point of releasing a "teaser" video after 11 years of development? Is there anyone who plays PC games that doesn't know the gist of the Duke Nukem franchise? Is there anyone who isn't either 1) sick to death of 11 years of empty promises 2)so indifferent about the Duke Nukem franchise now that it has languished for over a decade that they couldn't give a shit after 2 pounds of ex-lax? or, 3)not even remotely capable of buying a single word of anything 3DRealms says?

DNF may come out someday, and it may be awesome. It may come out and be and suck total ass. But the absolute worst thing it can do, and what to me seems the most likely, is be released and NO ONE WILL CARE. Oh, the media will fall over themselves, and people will wonder what will be the new go to joke on vaporware, but in 3 months after the release, the game will be forgotten, having registered little more than an insignificant blip on most gamers' radar. And then, 3DRealms utter failure will finally be complete.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 07:56.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

166. Re: Heavy Dec 21, 2007, 09:50 Dmitri_M

"Halo, Metal Gear Solid 2, and FF10"

These games have no place being discussed here. GTFO. This thread deals with a true PC gaming franchise and the aftermath of a developer's mishandling of that franchise.
This comment was edited on Dec 21, 09:54.

165. Re: Heavy Dec 20, 2007, 20:23 Wolftrap40

Uh, how'd you come to that random conclusion? Because I said that you should be ashamed that you let your son accept Halo as the standard for all first-person shooters?

As you would say, "LOL"

Oh, not at all, Jerryk - didn't bother me at all. I'm just having fun with the postings here. I'm just totally blown away that 3DRealms is utterly failing at the way they're handling one of my old-time favorite games! Please, don't ever take me seriously. It's only a game, my comments are always meant to be tongue-in-cheek. It's all good

164. Re: Dated, as expected. Dec 20, 2007, 14:41 manic half

My first impressions.
The cut-scene - Reminds me of Quake3 cut scene with Serge, complete with cigar.
Game Footage - The more average bits from Pray.

It really does look like the Doom3 engine. In fact I think the original MacWorld show preview of the Doom3 engine impressed me more than this teaser.

If this was released 2 years ago it would have blown everyone away.
If it was released last year it would have looked good and providing the game play was actually fun it would have been a success ( as much as any game can be after 10 years of development )
So basically at least from a graphical stand point, it's missed it's time.

Still we don't know about:
- Physics
- AI
- Plot / Story ( not hopefull on this )
- Level Design ( must be fantastic by now )
- New Secret Innovation that's take almost 12 years to perfect and will blow all other games out of the water and justify development time.

do your research n00b. they have been working on this 'version' since 2004. that's 3 years. idiot.

163. Re: Will this still run on my 386? Dec 20, 2007, 13:32 Overon

Oh lord have mercy. The Halo is not the standard for FPS! Analog controls are not the standard for FPS.

162. Will this still run on my 386? Dec 20, 2007, 10:24 Jim

and fit on the 40 MB of hard drive space I've been reserving for it?

Jim

161. Dated, as expected. Dec 20, 2007, 05:12 Dante_uk

My first impressions.
The cut-scene - Reminds me of Quake3 cut scene with Serge, complete with cigar.
Game Footage - The more average bits from Pray.

It really does look like the Doom3 engine. In fact I think the original MacWorld show preview of the Doom3 engine impressed me more than this teaser.

If this was released 2 years ago it would have blown everyone away.
If it was released last year it would have looked good and providing the game play was actually fun it would have been a success ( as much as any game can be after 10 years of development )
So basically at least from a graphical stand point, it's missed it's time.

Still we don't know about:
- Physics
- AI
- Plot / Story ( not hopefull on this )
- Level Design ( must be fantastic by now )
- New Secret Innovation that's take almost 12 years to perfect and will blow all other games out of the water and justify development time.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 06:54.

180 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo