Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I were shedding our coats and such last night after returning from picking her up at the train station when we heard an odd noise from the living room. Upon investigating, we found Hudson the wonder dog licking at a bowl of M&Ms I had indiscriminately left on the coffee table. She's usually pretty good about avoiding such temptations, but as we've discovered on a couple of previous occasions, our Airedale has a weakness for chocolate, which is scary, since chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Luckily the amount of cocoa in an M&M is low enough that she could probably stomach a couple (not that I'm eager to test this), but even more luckily, a dog trying to discreetly pluck peanut M&Ms from a small bowl with a mouthful of giant fangs is trying to pull off a tough trick (picture Winona Ryder in that Aliens movie trying to pick up a shot glass wearing boxing gloves), so she could only manage to lick some candy coating before being caught in the act. So in the end, she didn't make herself sick, all she did was manage to ruin a bowl of M&Ms… oh, who am I kidding? I ate them.

Chocolaty Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Stories: Don't Tase Me, Bro tops '07 memorable quote list.
Writer 'sick' at Sopranos claim.
Science: Mars Closest to Earth Tonight; Best View Until 2016.
System to Track Cloned Animals Is Planned.
Biggest U.S. solar panel farms open in Nevada, Colo. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Auction: Magna Carta copy sells for $21.3M.
Media: You Dont Look Like Your Heads Exploded Yet Today.
The Jingle Cats: White Christmas.
Kangaroo on a Golf Course.
Follow-up: Mad cow disease detected in Alberta animal.
Teh Funny: xkcd.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Don't Tase Me, Bro Dec 20, 2007, 22:36 Kxmode

Grrr... it's taze with a "z"

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 22:40 Warhawk

The lady got a gift (regift) from her boss, a Canon SD1000

heh - my sister just bought that camera a week or so ago. Seems to like it so far.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

28. No subject Dec 19, 2007, 19:09 xXBatmanXx

Cool.

The lady got a gift (regift) from her boss, a Canon SD1000:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120148

Who cares if it is a regift, it is still unopened in box with the security seal.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 18:36 kanniballl

The Canon Rebel XTi (not XT) is pretty much the high end of the pro-sumer market, as they call it. It will use all Canon EF mount lenses in addition to its own specialty EF-S lenses. It also has the built-in pop-up flash, which some of the higher-end models don't.

I really like the Nikon D80, I used someone's once and it was pretty cool. I've also used the XT (not i) a bunch of times and it was ok too, but the body felt nicer on the D80.

Unfortunately the D80 is pretty darn expensive compared to the XTi. If price was no object I'd get the D80, but who can really say price is no object when the different is around 30%-40%.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

26. No subject Dec 19, 2007, 18:10 Mark

FWIW, you needn't worry too much about your dog eating chocolate. While it IS indeed poisonous it takes a rather significant amount of it to do anything bad.

If your dog is 50lbs it would take about 4 POUNDS of chocolate before they'd get seriously ill from it. That's a hell of a lot of M&Ms.

Frankly, I think just about any of us would get sick if we ate a good 10% of our bodyweight in chocolate.

The ones that need to worry the most are those with small dogs. It doesn't take a great deal of chocolate to make, say a Chihuahua, very ill.

25. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 16:19 complicity

You have to be aware of the different ways that digital SLRs are sold, with and without lenses, and the lenses can be a huge part of the price. Anything that says 'body only' means exactly that, and you won't be able to actually take pictures with it until you get a lens.

The Canon Rebel XTi (not XT) is pretty much the high end of the pro-sumer market, as they call it. It will use all Canon EF mount lenses in addition to its own specialty EF-S lenses. It also has the built-in pop-up flash, which some of the higher-end models don't.

I haven't really looked at other mfgs because I really like Canon. One web site that is really good is www.megapixel.net, it has standard reviews for digitals of all sorts going back to 1998.

It really depends on your budget, though!

(20 minutes later: it would help if I hit the post button...)

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

24. Re: Chocolate... Dec 19, 2007, 15:59 Spoon_Gouge

There was a story on the History Channel last night about chocolate, and they reported that a dog would need to consume a lot to kill it(depending, of course on the weight of the dog). As someone previously posted a link on poisonous foods, the theobromine is the trigger that will do it in.
Glad you enjoyed the leftovers anyway...:D

Spoon_Gouge

23. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 15:44 Jim

Anyway, the 40D is what I want, but not for $1300. What's going on with the $499 prices I'm seeing?

Looks too good to be true. I'd be very wary. If it was $100 less then I can see it, but not for $800 less.

Jim

22. No subject Dec 19, 2007, 14:43 strich

btw, i found that monitor at Fry's for the same price. and they're giving away a canon photo printer for free with the purchase. might be the push you need if you're looking for a reason.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

21. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 14:36 strich

Anyway, the 40D is what I want, but not for $1300. What's going on with the $499 prices I'm seeing?

that link you post doesn't list the megapixels. i'm guessing that's what the difference is. your link is less than the 10mpxl that the other, more costly are listing.

20. Re: Chocolate Dec 19, 2007, 14:14 xXBatmanXx

We have a 97 pound lab retreiver that is 7 years old.

Pictures.??

heheheh chocolate orange balls. hehehehehe

/sorry.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 14:02 Ratty

The 40D is about $1300 but from what I've read

Since I'm in the market too I looked it up. Amazon lists it for what you said but there are a lot of places that list it for $499. Can that be right? Just do a Google search for "canon 40d".

http://www.thecameraprofessionals.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=276308

I have one of those little Canon 850IS pocket cameras and I hate it. Seriously, I DESPISE it. It almost never takes good pictures. It's blurry unless the subject is standing absolutely still. The zoom is worthless as the picture always turns out blurry if I use it. Yet it's hugely popular. Can I be THAT bad a photographer?

18. No subject Dec 19, 2007, 13:30 strich

for an amateur photographer, 1300 is out of my range. we get such beautiful sunsets here in texas, i've been missing out on some great shots lately.

i saw something earlier today on flickr that was a 365 album where the photographer took a picture of themselves once a day for the full year. it pushes you into creativity and tests your loyalty to the project. pretty cool idea. and it just pointed out to me how much i need a better camera.

17. Re: Chocolate Dec 19, 2007, 13:29 Choachy

We have a 97 pound lab retreiver that is 7 years old. My wife knew how much I enjoy these chocolate orange balls (yeah, yeah, insert jokes here) see: http://www.amazon.com/Terrys-Chocolate-Orange-6-17-Ounce-Boxes/dp/B000XQ40Y8
so she picked up three, wrapped them, and placed them under the tree last year. One day later, we come home to a Christmas massacre. Apparently, eating all three (including a bit of packaging) wasnt enough, so he went on the hunt for more and unwrapped every present under the tree.

Since birth, he has been on phenobarbital for seizures. The drug keeps them under control. We see maybe one a year. After he ate 18+ ounces of chocolate, he had two seizures in three days. A year later, he is healthy and happy, but no more chocolate under the tree.

16. Mars closest to Earth last night Dec 19, 2007, 12:48 Jim

The weather barely held out for some spectacular viewing up at Ladd last night. If you haven't looked at it yet, the next few weeks are the best.

Also, I encourage all to ignore all the "best until 2016" and "not as good as 2003" stuff, because its close every 2+ years, and this year is especially good because Mars is so high in the sky.

Jim

15. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 12:43 Jim

I don't know anything about cameras but I work with a guy that is a camera nut and he swears the Canon 40D is the best camera ever made. And from some of his pictures I would have to agree.

I'm in the market for a new camera also, and have been reading a little bit on DSLRs. The 40D is about $1300 but from what I've read (and its widely talked about in astrophotography forums) its easy to use because of its "live view" feature. I guess I'd have to see it to know it, but it supposedly makes focusing easier when you're using your camera at the telescope, and focusing is definitely one of my weak points.

If I wasn't planning on doing astrophotography with it I'd consider the XT. Certainly not as expensive as the 40D.

Jim

14. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 12:36 Jim

That's great news nin. Hopefully you didn't have to deal with any related problems such as frozen pipes.

Jim

13. Re: Chocolate Dec 19, 2007, 12:12  Blue 

I find it hard to believe chocolate is so deadly to dogs. I only just heard of this recently.

I've had other people say this in the same way, attempting to explain why this fact simply cannot be true. I'm not exactly sure what it is about this that's so lacking in credibility for some, but it seems to inspire an undue degree of skepticism.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: Best Wedding Dance ever? Dec 19, 2007, 12:11 Warhawk

Except, perhaps the "surprised couple." They need to keep their day jobs, as that was some pretty hammy acting.

Agreed. But it was still pretty funny.

Oh, good news. My Step-Up 8800GTS 512 was to be delivered today - to my home address and not my shipping address as requested - by EVGA. Since nobody is there to sign for it, I would have had to get the slip for the undelivered package, then call UPS for alternate delivery, etc, etc, probably delaying my delivery to after the weekend.

BUT! I have a little friend. He works at UPS at the center that delivers to our hometown. He got the box from the driver this morning and will drop it off at my house tonight.

It's nice to have little friends. Especially ones that will do personalized home deliveries!

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

11. Re: Chocolate Dec 19, 2007, 11:58 Warhawk

I find it hard to believe chocolate is so deadly to dogs.

It is - my sister-in-law is a vet. Grapes are not good for them, either.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071122235609AAPSRL7

I didn't know about the onion thing, though.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo