Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Had some technical difficulties at the BlueTower this morning, it was pretty ugly for a while there, but I think things are under control now, except perhaps for my blood pressure.

Slippery Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Monsters' Den. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Bank to employees Pay it forward.
Teenage Risks, and How to Avoid Them.
Science: Monkeys and college students as good at mental math.
Deep Impact Spacecraft.
Seasonal Affective Disorder.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 23:47 maplebob

anyone been watching Journeyman? anyone else as pissed off as i am that it's not been renewed?]

I love Journeyman. I keep waiting for Pullo to show up. Or for Vorenus to go back to 50 B.C. or so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Monkeys and college students as good at Dec 18, 2007, 22:38 Enahs

Monkeys and college students as good at mental math.

Ya know. They make the Monkeys sound out to be smarter then humans and such. But really, I feel the freakin need to point out the fact that these things the monkeys are "better" at then humans is something they practice and train hours a day, every day of their life. And it is not "2+2" either. But if you look at the method, of course somebody or something with lots of prior experience would do better, and guess what, the humans had none. Crap science I tell ya.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 20:00 Enahs

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have, and it's fucking awesome...

You mean the one you can not use because of no power? ahahahahaha. No sorry, just joking. Damn that sucks man, get power back soon. I am probably going to buy you a Virtual Console game for Christmas to help ease the pain. Poor bastard.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

19. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 19:03 eDave

Just want to chime in here.

I have the 226bw as well. Best purchase I made in a long time. I love the monitor. There is talk of quality regarding where it was manufactured. No way around it really but do some research. Mine is clear, bright and crisp. It looks HUGE.

You cannot go wrong with this monitor, especially for the price.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 19:04.

18. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 18:05 Warhawk

And while we are on it - I am running native LCD 1280x1024 - other than the wide screen, is the resolution and picture that much better on 1680x1050?

IMHO, running at resolutions like that remove the need for me to run AA, etc, increasing framerates dramatically with a still-beautiful picture.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

17. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 18:03 Warhawk

Should be a great monitor, the only thing to be worried about with the higher res screens is having a video card that can handle pushing the games you play at native res.

I have the 8800GTS 640MB - no worries.

Hey Bats-

I have the Sammy 216 - same resolution (1680x1050), slightly smaller than the 226 (about 1"). Love the monitor - looks great.

I was running the Crysis demo at native resolutions on high settings without much difficulty on my GTS640. Lagged just a bit in a couple spots, but definitely what I would consider playable. Some are more picky than I.

I'd recommend stepping up to the GTS512 if you can, if you have that option available. It's pretty competitive with the GTX in many tests and shouldn't really cost you anything with the step-up as they are priced similarly.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

16. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 17:43 xXBatmanXx

Should be a great monitor, the only thing to be worried about with the higher res screens is having a video card that can handle pushing the games you play at native res.

I have the 8800GTS 640MB - no worries.

You know what gang - I miss my big ass CRT with the super awesome rez....oh well....I don't miss the heat, the haziness, or the bugged out eyes...

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 17:23 PropheT

/edit: And while we are on it - I am running native LCD 1280x1024 - other than the wide screen, is the resolution and picture that much better on 1680x1050? Just having a moment - stressed - need some help....

With affordable stuff out there like the 8800GT's that can easily handle it with almost everything out there, no reason not to go for it.

14. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 16:18 nin

I was planning on the Samsung 226bw
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=170984

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have, and it's fucking awesome...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 16:00 MeatForce

You have a sore ass today don't you. hhhehehhee

Heh.. yeah, I'm gonna be walking funny for a while

Err.. I have no idea what you're talking about!

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

12. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:39 Jim

Back in the day (am I that old?) when you saw "BW" in the name of TV/monitor product, it meant that it was "black & white."

Congrats Bats.

Merry Christmas.

Jim

11. Good News! Dec 18, 2007, 15:36 Warhawk

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/18/film.thehobbit.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion -- an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

OK, I know he's producing and not directing, but to have him involved is a good sign.

10. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:23 xXBatmanXx

Someone have something better?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

I understand I can get it cheaper elsewhere - but the card only works at certain places. Circuit City being one of the stores I can use it at. I was asking about a different product that is better at the same or similar price point.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

9. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:19 complicity

My wife and I LOVE that show. I'm disappointed to hear that it wasn't renewed - - are you sure?
I'm also a big fan, it's the best new series of the season, IMO.

The show has not been picked up for a second season, which is essentially its death knell, but it hasn't officially been cancelled yet.

FYI, the final ep of season 1/the series, is on at a special time/date tomorrow night at 10.

As an aside, I love (not) how these series' get cancelled after a season, or before a whole season is complete, and then the network acts like it's doing us this huge favour by releasing "The Complete Series" on DVD 6 months later. Gee, thanks for giving me episodes of a show that will never have any kind of resolution because you're short-sighted penny-pinchers.

In a way, I'm glad that there's so much garbage on tv these days... it gives me lots of time to do other things.

That turned into kind of a rant, but there you go.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

8. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:17 Efflixi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

7. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:13 xXBatmanXx

Santa thought I had been too good this year and she had been sent to balance things out.

You have a sore ass today don't you. hhhehehhee

6. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:08 banddirector

anyone been watching Journeyman?

My wife and I LOVE that show. I'm disappointed to hear that it wasn't renewed - - are you sure?

-----------------------------------
Don't be a stoop, spread your goop

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

5. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 14:47 MeatForce

Yup.

I was absent-mindedly surfing around after dinner last night , and my girlfriend snuck up behind me wearing one of those skimpy 'Santa's elf' outfits you sometimes see in *ahem* literary magazines. I was told that Santa thought I had been too good this year and she had been sent to balance things out.

I didn't use to believe in Santa Claus, but that was the best goddamn present EVAR

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

4. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 14:15 Cabezone

the res of the new monitor is essentially identical to your current one, you're just gong to have more on the sides. Picture your current screen with 2 more inches in each direction. If your current screen is 19" then the 22", I think, should be roughly the same size vertically.

You can usually get them to display non native resolutions, which usually look like ass. The higher the native res, the better a non native one will looke. They're got more pixels to "fake" the non native res with.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

3. No subject Dec 18, 2007, 14:07 strich

anyone been watching Journeyman? anyone else as pissed off as i am that it's not been renewed?

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo