Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well it is indeed crazy icy out there today, but nothing that menacing, at least this morning. We took a walk with the pups last night and watched some guy gun his car too hard leaving a gas station to the point where it got all squirrely. As he got out into the street, he proceeded to give it even more gas (as if to say "I meant to do that"), fishtailing for several seconds as the electronic stability control in his Mercedes worked furiously at keeping him going in the proper general direction. I guess he was proud that his car was so advanced that he didn't really now how to drive, which strikes me as one of the main features highlighted in many current auto ads. Sigh.

R.I.P.: Singer Dan Fogelberg, 56, dies of cancer.

Slippery Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link of the Morning: 8 Fairy Tales And Their Not-So-Happy Endings. Thanks Digg.
Story: Sick Puppies: Imported Pet Sales Growing.
Science: NASA taps MIT to map moon.
Young Model Gets New Ear From Her Rib. This ear's model.
Images: New Symbol for European Elite Force: Castrated Lion!
Media: HD Dark Knight Trailer.
Human Jump Rope Street Performers.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 20:01 Krovven

I'll give the Preserve Aspect ratio a shot, but doubt it will work, as its the TV that doesnt like the res, not the computer.

And yea I tried the Game mode. All that really does it adjust the luminosity...that's all i could visually see anyways.

STALKER (In Steam)...I was able to choose any res and it worked fine. Which sorta leads me to believe that they fudged their screen resolutions...or know something that everyone else doesn't. And is it just me or does STALKER not keep save game files in the Steam folder?

All Valves Source games, CoH (in Steam), and Crysis are the ones I tried lowering the rez and it would fail. Really, CoH is the only one I care about at this point. My computer runs all the Valve titles at 1920x1080 everything maxed without a problem. CoH runs well, but not as well as I'd like as I could see a bit of slowdown just moving the screen around, with no combat going on.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 20:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 18:38 Enahs

Dagok, go to your Video Card driver settings and play around with the "Preserve Aspect Ratio settings" options. I.E. If it is off turn it on. I suspect it is turned off, but it should be turned on. That *might* help, depending on how your video card drivers and such are doing their thing.

There is also a "game" mode for that TV, have you tried it?

Also, look in STALKER; what resolution is it's wide screen setting?

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 18:44.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

36. Re: Batman Dec 17, 2007, 17:54 Yosemite Sam

Still, Begins and now this one - seem to be lacking something - maybe movie makers have just lost their touch.

Lost it? I'd say they broke, burned then buried in a pile of nuclear waste. I been catching up on some movies lately ... Santa Clause 3 = crap Spiderman3 = more crap Pirates Worlds End = the most uber crap I've seen in a long time, found myself actually wishing the POS would end. Bourne Supremacy = so so, worst of the three though and the first two deviated greatly from the books this one had absolutly nothing to do with the book whatsoever, oh ya it did one one accout the guys name was Bourne. Wow Ludlum really sold out on that deal, a big FU to his readers.
As for the Batman movies I thought the Burton ones were quite dark and IMO are the best Batman movies to date. The ones after that were pretty bad, heh compared to what I've watched lately though they should get academy awards. Batman begins was a good movie, though I thought they deviated to far from the comics.

EDIT heh and now I see those commercials saying that the Pirates trioligy is the greatest trioligy of the decade, LOL you could take a dump in a paper bag and these guys would sell it as the most delectable treat you have ever had. Eventually these folks are going to lose credit with even the most dense poeple and then nobody will belive anything and they will all stand around wondering why.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 18:01.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

35. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2007, 16:28 kanniballl

kanniballl:
The "compensation" he will receive is the fact that he doesn't have to pay for electricity on those days that he is without

Obviously.

Though some utilities "estimate" your usage on a month so it's possible they could screw up and still bill him. Heck, that's how they billed my parents $1,000+ in gas utilities for the month of August. Yes, August. That took a while to fix.

But I heard somewhere that electric companies (or whoever) would have to reimburse you something extra if you were without power for x days, even if it's just a stipend. The reason being, besides the major inconvenience, that people would loose perishable food.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

34. Re: No subject Dec 17, 2007, 16:13 Dev

kanniballl:
The "compensation" he will receive is the fact that he doesn't have to pay for electricity on those days that he is without
With ISP's and MMORPGs and such, if you have long outages they often compensate you because you pay monthly for the service. But with gas/electric you pay metered, so they are likely to argue that no compensation is nessasary. And its not like you can switch to the competition after these failures.

33. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 15:25 Dan =0)

Can you post the link to the manual please?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200703/20070301133755718_BN68-01178A-00L02-0216.pdf

Dan =0)

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 15:26.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

32. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 15:17 Krovven

Well I've got a month to change the TV. If I have to, that's what I'll do. With newer games, in order to play them with high graphics settings, I'd need to play at a 720p res.

Can you post the link to the manual please?

Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 15:18.

31. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 15:09 Cabezone

I just took a look at your user manual...looks like you may be SOL. The only 16:9 res it accepts from a PC, DVI or VGA, is 1920x1080. The rest of the resolutions it lists are all 4:3.

Still, I recommend picking up a DVI to HDMI cable and giving it a shot. I don't know why it would accept a 720p signal from a cable box and not a PC.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

30. The Great Influenza Dec 17, 2007, 14:45 Warhawk

Here's a book recommendation for those of you looking for something different:

The Great Influenza: The story of the deadliest pandemic in history

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza-deadliest-pandemic-history/dp/0143036491/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197920107&sr=8-1

Mixes history and medicine with a bit of politics and war for a look at the great influenza pandemic of 1918.

And this line from the review at Amazon is my biggest complaint about the book as well:

As other reviewers have noted, the book's weakness is a tendency towards melodrama, as in the far-too-often repeated tag line "This was influenza. Only influenza." After a while, you think to yourself, "Yes, we get it. Give it a rest."

There is no question about The Great Influenza being a monumental work. It's so good that you just have to overlook the bits of melodrama that pop up from time to time.

Other than that I found this to be a very interesting read.

John M. Barry spells out this connection in fascinating detail in The Great Influenza. In his meticulous description of the dire consequences that resulted when short-term political expediency trumped the health of the public during the 1918 influenza pandemic, Barry reminds his readers that the government response to an epidemic is all too often colored by the politics of the moment. Barry is neither a scientist nor a professional historian, and some of the details he gives on virology and immunology are clearly targeted at a nonmedical audience, but physicians and scientists will find this book engrossing nonetheless. The influenza pandemic of 1918, the worst pandemic in history, killed more people than died in World War I and more than the tens of millions who have died, to date, in the AIDS pandemic.

He also wrote a book called "Rising Tide" on the Mississippi River flooding and the engineers working to prevent it. Has much more politics involved in that book, as well as delving into race relations and other topics.

http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Tide-Mississippi-Changed-America/dp/0684840022/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197920517&sr=1-2

Again, from Amazon:

While tracing the history of the nation's most destructive natural disaster, Barry explains how ineptitude and greed helped cause the flood, and how the policies created to deal with the disaster changed the culture of the Mississippi Delta. Existing racial rifts expanded, helping to launch Herbert Hoover into the White House and shifting the political alliances of many blacks in the process. An absorbing account of a little-known, yet monumental event in American history, Rising Tide reveals how human behavior proved more destructive than the swollen river itself.

I had to read Rising Tide for a continuing education class I was taking for my engineering field. I enjoyed the book enough to seek out his book on the flu as well.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

29. Re: Batman Fails Dec 17, 2007, 14:45 Krovven

They should never have revisited the joker... I'm sorry but no one can top jack's original batman character. His performance, his look, his style was perfect.

Perfect for that film, not this one. I like what I see of the new Joker so far. Nicholsons version would have been silly and out of place in the new style of the movies.

Also..no redisign of the batmobile...bad move. The large SUV may have past for a first generation..

Also Disagree. a) it wasn't an SUV, it's a Tumbler, military grade combat vehicle. b)You'd rather it go back to being a campy design? By original are you talking the 60's version or Burtons Batman? The vehicle suits the style of the movies. What you are suggesting doesn't fit the style at all. They got silly and stupid with the redesigns of the vehicles on the previous Batman sequels. Please don't suggest they do that again. The silly/campy designs have been done and they failed miserably.

28. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 14:35 Krovven

What happens when you set a lower res? Can you set a lower res for the desktop?

Gives me a black screen with a msg that the mode isnt supported. I tried about 10 different res settings. 6 or so in the 720p/1080p ratio. I don't think the advertised specs on Future Shops site are correct. In the manual it shows which rez's I can use, which isn't much. Didnt bring the manual with me to work, and cant recall all of them. I'll try and find a manual online, but busy at work atm...taken me 10min to type this response.

Using VGA connection, no DVI on that TV. It's not the PC that doesn't like the resolutions, its the TV. I can still hear the sound of the game in the background when it fails.

27. Re: Batman Fails Dec 17, 2007, 14:34 Warhawk

I personally think it's nice to see comic book movies move away from the shlock and cheese that filmmakers associated with them through the 90's and start doing serious work. It's more like modern comics in the way they are aimed at adults rather than children, not to mention they really make better movies this way.

Agreed.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

26. Re: Batman Fails Dec 17, 2007, 14:30 PropheT

Couldn't disagree more about the Joker. I'll take this one over Nicholson's any day of the week...

I personally think it's nice to see comic book movies move away from the shlock and cheese that filmmakers associated with them through the 90's and start doing serious work. It's more like modern comics in the way they are aimed at adults rather than children, not to mention they really make better movies this way.

In my opinion, of course.

25. Batman Fails Dec 17, 2007, 14:17 JeffD

They should never have revisited the joker... I'm sorry but no one can top jack's original batman character. His performance, his look, his style was perfect.

Not only did they not achieve that here, this joker looks completely screwed up. He looks like a clown reject. His lines suck.. he doesn't imply scary at all..only that hes likes to kill people..sounds like your average murderer to me.

Also..no redisign of the batmobile...bad move. The large SUV may have past for a first generation.. but this is second generation now. The bike was a nice start, but I think most people wanna see us getting closer to the original bad ass batmobile design.

24. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 14:02 nin

It's likely a driver issue of some kind. It's possible that you may have to build some custom resolutions.

inf file so Windows can know what rez the thing supports...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 13:47 Cabezone

It "should" be able to take lower resolutions. At the very least it says it supports: 720p/960p. Now 720p is actually a few different resolutions, so you should be able to lower it. The problem may not be with the set but with the way your computer is recognizing the screen.

What happens when you set a lower res? Can you set a lower res for the desktop? Are you using VGA or DVI/HDMI? It's likely a driver issue of some kind. It's possible that you may have to build some custom resolutions.

I successfully set up my pop with a 1080p 32" LCD TV, easier to see for his weakening vision. I've been able to set lower resolutions for it when necessary. Which isn't too often since he has me keep his computer up to date.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 13:53.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

22. Re: Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 13:26 xXBatmanXx

Can anyone shed some light on this, work around options, etc etc?

Yeah, quit fucking around with consoles and get back to TF2!

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Samsung 4061 Dec 17, 2007, 13:19 Krovven

So yesterday I picked up a Samsung 4061 and a Playstation 3 (for Blu Ray and some console gaming).

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010086238&catid=

Hoping someone more experienced with LCD TV's as monitors can help. Here's the problem I'm having...

I've hooked up my PC to it, and all games (except STALKER for some reason) must be played at 1920x1080, unless I set it to Windowed mode, or goto a 4:3 ratio (uhh no).

Being used to PC monitors, it never occurred to me that an LCD TV that has a native res of 1920x1080 would not be able to do a lower 16:9 resolution, just doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this, work around options, etc etc?

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 14:12.

20. Re: Batman Dec 17, 2007, 13:12 Capella

My favorite gimmick cereal (not that they all aren't) was Pink Panther Flakes.

And I think Batman cereal was just reformed Cap'n Crunch, or a clone thereof, but everything tastes better when shapped like the bat symbol.

Anyone remember Quisp? That is the one thing from my child hood I would love to revisit. These days it's Cap'n Crunch Christmas Crunchberries!

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

19. Re: Batman Dec 17, 2007, 12:56 Bodolza

I enjoyed the first Batman. I haven't seen the second in a very long time, so no comments there. I do have one major problem with the first film, though.

Batman bombs Joker's chemical facility when it's filled with people. Sure they're "bad guys", but Batman has always had a strict "no kill" policy. All total, Batman is responsible for the deaths of dozens throughout the movie.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo