Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're getting a bit of light hail this morning, as the storms that have rocked the Midwest head our way. Things are fine for now, and the forecast calls for mild temperatures tomorrow, so it seems we're going to get a de-fanged version of this nasty bit of weather.

Hail to the Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Links of the Morning: The 10 Biggest Missteps In Fast Food (s). Thanks Digg.
Stories: Why use steroids? They work.
Man chugs liter of vodka in airport security line.
Work Believed a Gauguin Turns Out to Be a Forgery. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Scientists Create Glow-In-The-Dark Cats. Thanks Devicer.
Scientists shed light on monster sea waves.
Media: Mythbusters - Knight Rider Ramp.
Conan The Librarian.
Holy Sh*t! There's no way that's real.
Follow-up: First face transplant worth the fuss, patient says.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 15, 2007, 10:36 xXBatmanXx

Fuck them. My entire area was without power because some cunt farmer 2 miles down the road had like 50 fucking trees on his land that fell on the feed line.

It is all about the $$$$$.

Here in MPLS - the city used to send out a crew for FREE to trim back your trees from your powerline.....but because of the Homeland Security group, and the mass dollars sucked from the states/cities back to the federal level, it was one of the programs that was cut. (no pun intended)

I have a huge ass tree in my back yard, and the powerline to my house goes right through it - I trim it when I can, but I also try and stay away from it. Yeah, it would get taken out if there was a really bad storm, but that would be the least of my worries - the sheer size of the trees around my house would crush my house and 3 houses on each side. heh.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 18:38 Creston

It is a private service, provided to you for a fee, with no guarantee of it ever working.

Power has also become a primary necessity of life, and the power companies DELIBERATELY refuse to harden their infrastructure against yearly events. I'm pretty sure there's something there to challenge. If only to FORCE the power companies to start putting their shit underground.

Btw, any people who refuse to trim their damn trees, or who go so far as to SUE the power company when THEY try to trim those trees, should go to the bottom of the fucking list. "We'll have your power back on by June 30th or thereabouts."

Fuck them. My entire area was without power because some cunt farmer 2 miles down the road had like 50 fucking trees on his land that fell on the feed line.

Creston

20. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 18:35 Creston

Fuck no.

I'm about to go bat shit insane, too...

Are you with AEP? What area do you live in?
That fucking sucks man

Creston

19. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 18:34 Creston

But I would rather the money being invested in solar panels on the roof's of all houses

That's actually one thing that really wouldn't work in large parts of the US because of the severity of the hail storms around here.

My buddy in spain has a huge wind mill plus solar panels to generate power, because he lives in an area where the power company simply DOESN'T GO. (one street further down the road they have power...)

And according to him those solar panels are pretty fragile.

With the 2 inch thick hail we get here every year, that'd be about 99 billion broken solar panels.

I hope that as they start to add new stuff and improve the grid, it will all be underground.

In a rare few neighborhoods, the stuff is underground. But then their feed line is the same above ground crappy pole and crappy wires bullshit. Which then breaks, so the entire neighborhood is still without power.

the power grid is already a mess and needs a rebuilding

Yeah well, the fucking power companies are NEVER going to do that. I work for one of the biggest ones (AEP). They have absolutely no plans whatsoever to do that.

Ofcourse, it's because of the stupid tax system. 200 million dollars a year in repairs are business expenses, and are fully tax deductable. If they were to invest that money in new infrastructure, it becomes a fifteen year writeoff.

The first thing the gov. would have to do is make it so the power companies can write off investments in infrastructure all at once.

And even then, the power company will still completely pass the costs on to its customers. Which is something I find bullshit too.

You make 400 million bucks or so a year in gross profits. But if you then need to build a new powerplant so you can serve MORE customers, your existing customers have to pay the cost for that?? What the fuck? Whatever happened to the idea of investing your own profits?

Fuck I hate the power companies. They're like the fucking Mob.

Creston

18. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 09:17 nin

nin, you got power back yet?

Fuck no.

I'm about to go bat shit insane, too...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 09:07 xXBatmanXx

I'm surprised this shit hasn't turned into a massive lawsuit yet.

Although I feel bad for you guys - have to put some logic to it:

How would that happen?
It is a private service, provided to you for a fee, with no guarantee of it ever working. Read the fine print.

Could always use a generator.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

16. Re: Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 08:09 Enahs

That's fucking ridiculous. This country needs to wake the fuck up, step out of the 1930s, and put these fucking powerlines underground.

Not really. I mean, sure, I got no problem with that. But I would rather the money being invested in solar panels on the roof's of all houses. And with the excess power in the day, first use it to generate hydrogen to power a fuel cell for power at night, before sending the excess back to the power company. And if we are not going to do that (actually, even if we do, do that), the power grid is already a mess and needs a rebuilding. I hope that as they start to add new stuff and improve the grid, it will all be underground.

But if anybody cares, here is a paper about comparing underground and above ground:
http://www.eei.org/industry_issues/energy_infrastructure/distribution/UndergroundReport.pdf

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Fuck that fucking storm Dec 14, 2007, 02:59 Creston

Son of a bitch. I was without power for five fucking days. 190,000 poor sods are still without power. Most of them are told they'll be back on by midnight next tuesday, but according to a friend of ours, in a particular part of town the power company has started hanging notices on doors that they might be without power until December 31st.

That's fucking ridiculous. This country needs to wake the fuck up, step out of the 1930s, and put these fucking powerlines underground.

Yes, it will take 20 years and cost 50 billion dollars.

Repairing all the shit every year for 200 million isn't such a great option either.

I'm surprised this shit hasn't turned into a massive lawsuit yet. Being left without power for a month is fucking insane. What is this, Zambia?

nin, you got power back yet?

Creston

14. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 20:00 Jim

It started snowing about 2 hours earlier than predicted in Providence, so at about 2 I figured I'd head home and continue working from home. What is normally a 20 minute commute ended up being nearly 3 hours. It turns our I decided to go a slightly different way figuring the traffic flow would be lighter than my usual, shorter way (as is typically). After 2+ hours I finally got to a connecting street (after staring at the light go green yellow red for over an hour), cut across and reconnected with my normal route. Wouldn't you know I was home less than 10 minutes later, and traffic was lighter on my usual route than it is under good conditions. Ugh. Next time I'll just work from home from the start (like everyone else did).

Jim

13. MLB Mitchell Report Dec 13, 2007, 18:07 Warhawk

One interesting local tidbit in here - the 1140am sports radio station has F.P. Santangelo as one of the morning hosts (part of the Rise Guys). F.P. said on the show how he never did drugs, etc. He took today off. He's in the report. Curious, no? I wonder when he'll return and what he'll have to say about that.....

Edit - Just heard he is going to be on the 1140 am 4pm show (Sportsline) in a few minutes to talk about it. Should be interesting.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And were out of beta, were releasing on time
So Im GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 19:16.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

12. The Ever So Secret Order of the Lamprey Dec 13, 2007, 17:20 Cutter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/tc_nm/japan_christmas_eel_tech_dc

"If we could gather all electric eels from all around the world, we would be able to light up an unimaginably giant Christmas tree," Minawa told Reuters Television.

Haha, eel power! The Japanese are insane!

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 15:19 Cutter

It's snowsville here in the big smoke too, but, I love it! Hope we have a very white Xmas.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Outlaws nostalgia Dec 13, 2007, 14:49 Krovven

I posted this in yesterdays OotB, but figured not many people will go back and check for new posts.

Opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hatXPoYtIqc&feature=related

Sawmill soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_2NBYkxGeU&feature=related

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

9. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 13:29 Bucky

It's getting really nasty out there.

Same here in Western Massachusetts. Good thing I have some sick time left to burn up before the end of the year, as I'm sure as hell not going to work in this crap.

I also highly recommend that people visit a local CompUSA if there's one nearby, they have some damn good deals going on. I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD465 headphones for $30 ($50 from newegg). These things rock too. I didn't realize it, but from the sound difference I must have blown out my old headphones. Oops.

PS-Too much yellow!

---
Xfire/Steam: GreySpire (alias Bucky)
http://www.opensuse.org

8. Re: No subject Dec 13, 2007, 13:27 xXBatmanXx

biggest misstep in fast food? actually selling that shit to customers.

Anyone that is dumb enough to eat that shit - deserves what they get.
It amazes me people actually feed fast food to their kids - no wonder why obese levels are record high. duh!

I haven't had fast food in a looooooong time.
Last time I had it I felt ill for about 10 hours.

7. Re: Scientists Create Glow-In-The-Dark Dec 13, 2007, 13:26 The Half Elf

Bioshock 2: Attack of the Splicer Cats!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. No subject Dec 13, 2007, 13:25 xXBatmanXx

attack of the yellow!

5. Scientists Create Glow-In-The-Dark Cats Dec 13, 2007, 13:19 theSAWzall

LOLcat tagline:
"Some1 turn owt the lights, I tryin to slep"

4. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 13:13 nin

...spoke too soon about the weather?

It's getting really nasty out there.

Good luck, dude!

Still don't have power here, but my father/step mother's house got power back, so I stayed there last night. Hurray for a hot shower!

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 13:10 Enahs

Bummer Blue. I mean, our Oklahoma is right next door, and the worst we got was rain for a few days....

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo