Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Blizzard MMOG Confirmed

TenTonHammer has brief word from the WoW forums where a Blizzard community rep confirmed speculation that Blizzard has another MMOG in the works (thanks Wired). The brief post simply says:

No, it is an unannounced Next-Gen MMO.

And that doesn't mean an expansion for World of Warcraft either.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. No subject Dec 19, 2007, 16:23 Mr. Tact

On the one hand this announcement is pure *yawn*.

On the other hand, when the first information came out about Warcraft III -- and it's RPG elements, I was sure it was going to suck. But when it came out, it was awesome.

And then when Blizzard announced World of Warcraft -- I thought, well there is a Blizzard game I'll never play. But lo and behold, WoW became the first MMORPG I ever played and I'm still playing it almost 3 years later.

So, yes this announcement is a lot of hand waving over not very much information -- but when it comes to Blizzard underestimating them is something you shouldn't do. I'd be very surprised if I'm not impressed by their "Next-Gen MMO."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Dec 15, 2007, 07:58 Optimaximal

It's going to take years to complete as they've started employing people for it now, so I very much doubt Starcraft 2 will still be being pushed by the time this MMO is released
the original StarCraft is still being pushed in a lot of countries...

63. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2007, 04:39 CreamyBlood

Isn't Diablo already a single-player MMO? I mean, click, click, click, loot, loot, loot, grind, grind, grind.

I agree with the yawn.

62. No subject Dec 13, 2007, 15:18 xXBatmanXx

**yawn**

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

61. Re: Blizzard Activision Dec 13, 2007, 12:42 Fibrocyte

This is the biggest gaming announcement ever in the history of gaming.

60. Re: Blizzard Activision Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 Sepharo

has anyone given any thought that this NextGen MMO might be based on an Activision game?

A scary thought.

59. Re: It's World of Starcraft Dec 13, 2007, 11:34 MMORPGHoD

WoS and take a page from Sony, have a WoW and WoS subscription combo plan. They'd get even more market share, if that's possible.

58. Re: It's World of Starcraft Dec 13, 2007, 10:48 Xyggy

I agree with PropheT - I'm willing to bet it's World of Starcraft. The timing is too perfect in relation to the upcoming Starcraft 2 release. A Diablo MMO would be in direct competition with WoW in the fantasy genre. Besides, "Actard" knows they'd stand to make a hell of a lot more money with a Starcraft MMO considering the Korean market. It just makes good business sense.

57. No subject Dec 13, 2007, 10:08 suicide_club

Oh boy!

I can't wait to play World of Lost Vikings!

56. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 09:59 maldoror

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. They basically used Warcraft 3 as a stepping stone for the story of World of Warcraft... them doing the same thing with Starcraft wouldn't be surprising at all."

I think that sums it up very well, and is an accurate example of how Blizzard thinks.

55. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 09:25 nin

Star Craft mmorpg would fail just like Ghost did!

Thank you for the laugh!

And yeah, another vote for World of Starcraft, complete w/ vehicle battles in addition to regular on-foot quests...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

54. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 09:17 HellSlayer

Star Craft mmorpg would fail just like Ghost did! Diablo would be my guess or a new title all together.

Jesus is Lord! If Jesus has no power,why get upset?

o0

53. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 08:47 Devster

World of Rock 'n Roll Racing? Sign me up.
Tarquin launches himself!

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

52. No subject Dec 13, 2007, 07:08 dryden555

whatever it is, it is 2 years away at least. Folks are getting bored with WOW, so Blizzard knows its time to make something else.

51. Re: Blizzard Activision Dec 13, 2007, 05:43 PHJF

Anything at all involving the words "Diablo", "Tristram", or "Cain" has my complete approval.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

50. Blizzard Activision Dec 13, 2007, 05:04 Kxmode

has anyone given any thought that this NextGen MMO might be based on an Activision game?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

49. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 03:46 Evil Timmy

Deus Ex MMO

Why. in the. HELL. Has this never crossed my mind before? Oh, wait, yeah, it's my favorite game combined with my least favorite genre (slightly below Rhythm-Based Gem-Matching JRPG-esque Golf Management Sims Featuring Panda Bears, so it's well down there). I'd love to see it done along the lines of Guild Wars, but with, at the very least, regular major story chapters where the world and story evolve based on player's choices and, of course, who wins. DX's hallmark, multiple paths in an objective based map, either solo PvE, co-op PvE, or PvP, would be butter. Give each battle a point, working your side towards a group, area, or faction goal, and reward it with everything from player XP and technology, to affecting PvP areas in your favor, to (eventually) giving your whole faction a boost. If you want to give high-level players something to do when they hit the cap, why not let them work for their whole 'side', rather than just raid time and again in hope of some Tier 6 drops? And when one side does get ahead, let the other(s) run counterintelligence to catch up, but make sure the reward's still worth it. Give a good risk/reward to missions in addition to multi-stage objectives and payouts (two players sneaking past a dozen in a high-sec facility pays out far better than smashing up a lightly defended guardpost in the city). And I could go on and on, but I'll rein in the page-long post I could easily make right here.

Curse you, Jerykk, for putting that idea in my head. Now I've gotta wait for (Eidos to go bankrupt*?) the it'll-be-not-quite-as-good-as-the-original-but-better-than-IW DX3 and hope that its multiplayer, if in existence, will even come close to the possibilities popping 'round my neurons right now.

* Financially, not morally or creatively. Past the expiration date for those.

48. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 03:35 BigFreak

Willing to bet it'll be World of Diablo. No way in hell they'll step on Starcraft 2's toes with a World of Starcraft mmo.
It's going to take years to complete as they've started employing people for it now, so I very much doubt Starcraft 2 will still be being pushed by the time this MMO is released ;o

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 03:35.

47. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 03:34 The Half Elf

But at the same point in time, I would LOVE for a Diablo MMO to come out and totally crush Flagship Studios.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

46. Re: Dec 13, 2007, 02:04 Cutter

I wouldn't be so sure of that. They basically used Warcraft 3 as a stepping stone for the story of World of Warcraft... them doing the same thing with Starcraft wouldn't be surprising at all.

Exactly. The similarities between WoW and Diablo (fantasy) are too similar for Diablo to make a real go of it as a MMORPG. With Starcraft they can go sci-fi. That's why Ghost more than likely got shitcanned. It was re-tooled into a MOG. I don't much care, so long as Diablo 3 makes an appearance sooner than later.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo