Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes Patches

New patches are now available for Company of Heroes, updating the numerous localized editions of Relic's World War II real-time strategy game to version 2.201. The new version incorporates performance improvements (particularly on single-core systems), bug fixes, numerous balance tweaks, and a handful of map changes. The various patches can be found on The Patches Scrolls. Update: These patches should not be applied to the Steam edition of the game.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Steam here Dec 12, 2007, 21:49 bjack

I must be downloading gigs for a couple of hours now... what the hell? Is the Steam "patch" the full download?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 20:35 Yosemite Sam

Bullshit, you only have to do this if you don't have the CD in the drive. Bitch all you want, but THQ and Relic have bent over backwards not to hurt the paying customer with anti piracy measures. You don't need to disable your network either.

Only bullshit is what your spouting. If you are on the net then you have no option but to log on to play, I tried to play with the DVD in the drive and the only options it gave me was to log on or drop to windows, thats it. Now when I disabled my network I got the option to play with the DVD in the drive. Hell I did not have an option to even create an account, that was FK'n greyed out too which is why I ended up doing the work around for awile until I finally let it auto-DL a couple more patches then it worked, what a royal pain in the ass, I just wanted to play not fuck around with god damn copy protection BS for hours before I could play. All for what? the F'n game was probably on torrent the day of release. Shit I originally bought this damn game becuse it had no copy protection and that got me interested.
PS this is not with COH-OF this was playing with COH patched to 2.101.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

15. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 19:47 Krovven

COD4 patches took a week to propogate on Steam for the first version, so check your sources.

The 1.3 patch a week ago, was released at the same time. Check your own sources.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

14. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 19:42 Krovven

Bullshit, you only have to do this if you don't have the CD in the drive.

Hey numbnuts...how do you propose doing this if you bought it on Steam?

Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

13. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 19:36 Paketep

There was never protection on the first game...

Exactly!. And how much did it sell?. Why the protection now, then?

Bullshit, you only have to do this if you don't have the CD in the drive. Bitch all you want, but THQ and Relic have bent over backwards not to hurt the paying customer with anti piracy measures. You don't need to disable your network either.

And why should I have to have the CD in the drive?. Why do I have to keep close the CDs from every game I own so I can play them, when anyone can just download an .exe from some website and jump over the copy protection?. This is 2007, I think "CD in the drive" protections should have been abolished by now.

And why do I have to have a net connection if I don't want to have a CD on my drive?. Why do I have to login to Relic to play single player?.

Sorry, man, Relic did it wonderfully with the CoH vanilla, but this time, they dropped the ball.
This comment was edited on Dec 12, 19:39.

12. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 19:17 RTSNut

COD4 patches took a week to propogate on Steam for the first version, so check your sources. They still take over 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure that CoH patch is now up.

11. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 19:15 RTSNut

10. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 19:02 Bet

As far as Im concerned this should be transparent to the end users, all they have to do is wait an extra day and coordinate the release. You don't release a patch to the public and gimp the online distribution models.

CoD4, Bioshock, and many others seem to be able to do this just fine over Steam...why not Relic/THQ?

The funniest part that I didn't know until a few minutes ago is that it downloads the patch ingame even if it's a Steam version. It's like they need to add some code to the game so that it knows it's 'special'.

Didn't THQ do that with Bioshock with this last patch? Make it so it knows its special so it doesn't have the SecuROM check? Bioshock didn't freak out when I started it up with Process Explorer running, which it did until the patch.

Also, add me bitch. We'll 2v2.

9. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:45 Krovven

Couldn't they drop the stupid protection now like they did with the original?

There was never protection on the first game...hence why I think they made the online verification for both CoH and OF.

I don't mind online verification, prefer it over all CD protection schemes, but not the way they have it currently setup.

8. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:27 Paketep

And let's not forget how shaky the net code is. Sometimes I can't even play with some friends over LAN!. And the guides at the Relic forums say things like "don't set your router as your DNS". My god, how is the net code programmed if that breaks the game?.

CoH's net code was bad, but OF's is even worse!.

Plus, some time has passed since the release. Couldn't they drop the stupid protection now like they did with the original? (best move I've seen in years, and they f*cked it up with all this log in online crap). I can assure you... the pirates are playing and they don't mind your pity protection. We, your customers, do!

7. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 17:42 Krovven

Patch is now on Steam.

6. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 17:27 Krovven

That it takes Steam a few days for the patch to trickle down?

Patch needs to get setup for install with the way the files are on Steam. Then they need to get the files out to the servers for distribution.

I don't claim to know the whole process, but I'm guessing Valve works in conjunction with Relic on this, since Greg at Valve had posted in the forums last night saying they were working on it.

As far as Im concerned this should be transparent to the end users, all they have to do is wait an extra day and coordinate the release. You don't release a patch to the public and gimp the online distribution models.

CoD4, Bioshock, and many others seem to be able to do this just fine over Steam...why not Relic/THQ?

5. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 17:04 Yosemite Sam

This is on top of the online verification that Relic now has for CoH that prevents you from playing single player unless you log in

I am quite disapointed in THQ for this shit, again people who paid for the game are the only ones suffering for this, I'm sure folks who leeched the game are having no problems what so ever. If you disable your network you can run the single player game with the CD in the drive, I did this for awile until I got the whole online BS figured out.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

4. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 16:42 Bet

I'm pretty disappointed with THQ/Relic with their patches for Steam. They don't seem to be releasing them to Valve for propagation until they get released to the public

Is that what the issue is? That it takes Steam a few days for the patch to trickle down? That WOULD be a Valve or Steam problem when it comes to patch availability, when you're talking patches that aren't being held back at all so that they can be mirrored somewhere.

CoH patches come out as fast as the QA team can push them out. Even faster in some cases, as the first version of this patch 2 weeks ago completely screwed up installations of the game if you were one of the unlucky sods that jumped on it and installed it as soon as you were given the chance.

When you're dealing with RTS fans as fickle about balance as Relic fans are, they don't hold back patches so that anything can catch up except the server that delivers it via the in-game downloader.

That bit about HAVING to patch is definitely annoying though, even for non-Steam users. I wanted to watch a few replays before patching made them unwatchable yesterday, and of course...you can't. Or at least I don't know the way. Patch or quit. I suppose I should quit living in the past anyway...

Hey, we should play sometime Dagok Add Bet to your friends list ingame.

3. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 15:40 Krovven

I'm pretty disappointed with THQ/Relic with their patches for Steam. They don't seem to be releasing them to Valve for propagation until they get released to the public...which means CoH owners on Steam have to wait a day or two for the patch.

This is on top of the online verification that Relic now has for CoH that prevents you from playing single player unless you log in (Offline mode for Steam doesn't work because they are using their own system)...and you can't log in unless you are patched to the newest version.

This has been a complaint on both Steam and Relic forums and nobody is acknowledging the issue.

I want to make clear...this is not Valve or a Steam problem, but THQ and Relics. CoH unpatched loads in Steam just fine...but then you get the error in-game that says you must patch to play online.

2. Re: Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 15:28 nin

from what I've heard...don't install if you have the steam version...my friend did it and he can no longer run it

Steam pushes out their own patches, so yeah, I wouldn't do that...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Steam version Dec 12, 2007, 15:18 PointlesS

from what I've heard...don't install if you have the steam version...my friend did it and he can no longer run it

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo