Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ET:QW Patch Plans

The Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Website has details on the next patch for ET:QW, which will update Splash Damage's teamplay shooter to version 1.4 (they explain that version 1.3 is a smaller update limited to Korea). The new version will include "pretty significant" UI advances including an improved server browser, a more flexible HUD, and improvements to the way the game keeps players informed. The update will also add a training mode for new players, support for auto-downloads, and a new ETQW:TV feature to televise tournaments along with balance tweaks, networking improvements, and bug fixes. They say they are looking to get the new version out before the holidays.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Dec 13, 2007, 03:09 Jerykk

TF2 Tribes > than anything else.

Fixed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 21:25 elefunk

Ever since the 2nd beta, the vehicles have controlled perfectly fine. I find it hard to believe that any of the haters here have actually touched the game since the first open beta released.

There's a reason why Quake Wars has become one of the most popular online games out there, gradually building over time, and that reason is most definitely *not* because it sucks. It is a deep game, that took people a while to get used to, but once getting the hang of it, is completely rewarding.

This patch looks to be awesome too. Can't wait to check it out for myself! Just in time for my school sememster to end too :-)

14. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 20:24 The Half Elf

Did they ever 'fix' vehicle controls/physics?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 19:28 sponge

Q4 was built on the Doom3 engine. Doom3/Prey/Q4 are all one in the same now. If you license the engine you get the features/updates from all of them.

If you license the engine *now* you do. However, when ET:QW first started development in 2003, it was the Doom3 engine. If you poke around in the source you'll see some references to MegaTexture, and one of the programmers.

12. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:36 Enahs

Prey and ET:QW are built on top of the Doom3 engine though, and not Q4. It must be something in either Doom3, or higher than that.
Q4 was built on the Doom3 engine. Doom3/Prey/Q4 are all one in the same now. If you license the engine you get the features/updates from all of them.

I really do love this game. I have just not been in a MP mood the past month, and so what time I have put into gaming has gone elsewhere. But it is no knock on them game, I think it's wonderful.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 18:37.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

11. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 17:17 sponge

It's a Quake 4 engine-specific bug. Prey was one of the first games I loaded up when I installed my 8800GT, and was puzzled at my constant 20FPS in it at the same settingss as I had on my 7900GT. Then remembered this irritating bug.

Prey and ET:QW are built on top of the Doom3 engine though, and not Q4. It must be something in either Doom3, or higher than that.

10. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 16:54 zirik

Hmm, not really seeing that. I dumped BF2 for QW and love every minute of it.

i like the game better than bf2142. but sadly not a lot of people play it. lets hope the new training feature will help those who want to try the game online but cant get past the high learning curve.

9. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 16:54 Bet

It's something to do with OpenGL. Those games you mentioned are all Direct3D.

It's a Quake 4 engine-specific bug. Prey was one of the first games I loaded up when I installed my 8800GT, and was puzzled at my constant 20FPS in it at the same settingss as I had on my 7900GT. Then remembered this irritating bug.

Nvidia just needs to set the single-display performance option for these games in their drivers, they already have default profiles for the games affected in the driver package already, pretty simple way to keep their users from having undue headaches.

I got this free with my new vidcard, but haven't really played it yet. I need to start, since I actually loved the beta. None of my buddies picked up the game though

8. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 15:47 sponge

Not sure why I didn't see similar performance losses in other games(TF2, Crysis,etc)

It's something to do with OpenGL. Those games you mentioned are all Direct3D.

7. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 15:11 Cutter

TF2 > than anything else.

"Grab a napkin, homie. You just got served."
- Wolowitz

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:54 DrEvil

fyi regarding performance, though not patch related.

When I first got ET:QW and ran it on my new system(quad core, 2 gigs,8800,etc) it ran like dog shit. After some tinkering I discovered that the problem was "Multiple Display Performance Mode" since I run 2 monitors. Turning that to "Single Display performance mode" brought the performance back up to the smooth expected levels. It's under the nvidia control panel, 3d settings, manage 3d settings. Not sure why I didn't see similar performance losses in other games(TF2, Crysis,etc). Maybe it will help someone else.

5. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:40 Nick W

I love it, last patch killed my fps though. Hopefully this one will help out.

4. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:39 maddog

Hmm, not really seeing that. I dumped BF2 for QW and love every minute of it.

It's even better when a buddy and I want to play some LAN coop against some bots.

PCLL

3. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:35 PointlesS

eh?

imo this is the multiplayer game of the year...the game wasn't what I expected at first but after some time adjusting I think it's a really fantastic game

and this new patch is incredible...the improvements listed shows that any aspect of the game can be changed...major ui improvements that can actually be adjusted by each player...game balancing tweaks...class tweaks...it's really amazing to see developers care about their game after release

2. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:15 bizarro2000

Unfortunately this game is broken at its core. No amount of patching will fix that.

1. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 13:12 speedbacon

I was really hoping I'd play this game as much as ET.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo