Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

C&C Shooter Revealed?

A post on VideoGamesBlogger reports that Tiberium, not Renegade 2, is the title of the rumored (story) new shooter set in the Command & Conquer universe (thanks Mike Martinez and Joystiq). The report is based on a coming print issue of Game Informer magazine, and says the game is in the works at EALA, and is due for release late next year. There's a similar report in Czech on Hratelně.centrum.cz that includes screenshots as well as a Video from the game (though I can't get this to run, and the English blog says it's been yoinked by EA). They offer a brief write-up based on the print article outlining some of the game's units for this "squad-based action first-person-shooter game… described as Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter meets Battlefield meets Rainbow Six Vegas, but instead set in the C&C Universe." Update: That video is posted here (thanks Tiscali Games), but is said to be pretty old.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 20:21 The Half Elf

Um Hump, try Crysis's Powerstruggle game mode. Nearest thing to Renegades style of MP, and it looks good too

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:52 Surf

I doubt its the Crytek engine and I don't believe EA owns that engine, just published the game, might be wrong on that.

Maybe its the BF3 engine? All this time on engines could be spent on a game.

The tank level in Crysis was great and a vietnam game would be much appreciated (I dont count BF Vietnam as a game, sucked ass).

14. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:40 Hump

Pretty lousy stuff, CG looks like it's from 1994

It's more than likely the Crytek engine which has no problems rendering that quality in real-time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 18:30 Hump

screw this, I just wish they'd remake the Renegade style of multiplayer with new visuals (Crytek engine). The multiplayer was/is brilliant and is still one of the best combined arms games there is.

I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Video Dec 12, 2007, 18:28 Surf

The video confirms one thing, that this game is going to blow hard.

I cannot stand a game where there are semi conventional vehicles but Superman grunts. Tribes did this well though with their vehicles being similar to the suits but did specific roles better (the vipers flew faster, longer, had more firepower, the tanks stronger, faster, unlimited ammo etc).

Here the vehicles look like an after thought, the grunts again like superman.

And the way the vehicles are nerfed in the BF series sucks ass. The blackhawk is a waste of time, though initially it was too powerful. Simply do this.

Make vehicles very powerful but unrepairable in the air, simple.

11. Re: Multiplayer... Dec 12, 2007, 15:23 Armengar

at least the commanders can be booted out in NS. I used to play on teh 192combat servers (was a donator for a long time) and they have well policed servers who TEACH poor commanders and ban griefing commanders.

Very good servers if you play NS

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. Re: Multiplayer... Dec 12, 2007, 15:21 Wilson

The problem with RTS-commander-like FPSes is that you can't have a good round without both sides having competent commanders. Look at Natural Selection or Empires. If the Marines have a bad comm, or the aliens' gorges (or whatever) waste all their resources, you as a grunt can basically not win, period. Same with Empires: there's very little one or even a few grunts can do to save their situation if their commander is outclassed. Even just basic competency is hard to achieve in those mods: nobody really wants to give newbie commanders a chance, and I don't think there are many people who really _enjoy_ commanding, anyhow.

If a commercial FPS were to offer that as its only game mode, it would almost have to feature a handicap or matchmaking system to hopefully make the commander situation a little more even. This is where the "lobby" systems that so many console and Korean games use might actually be worthwhile: a person makes a lobby as commander of one team, waits for an opponent commander, and meanwhile grunts file in to fill in the other roles.

Of course, then you have the games where the commander is a weak figure--like BF2142. In that game, a _bad_ commander can make you lose (by, say, ramming the enemy titan), but you don't necessarily need a very good one to be competitive. I think that system worked out all right.

As for the game itself... I dunno. I had a lot of fun with Renegade, but this looks a lot like BF2142--which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they use a real engine this time and have some decent netcode, it might be worth checking out.

9. Multiplayer... Dec 12, 2007, 14:55 Ant

Renegade's multiplayer was cool, but I wished it had RTS element. Commanders building bases while everyone were infantries with guns, vehicles, planes, etc. Basically like ET:QW, Natural Selection mod, etc.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. No subject Dec 12, 2007, 14:46 RP

If it's anything like the Battlefield series, it'll be a buggy piece of shit that takes forever to load a single map.

Renegade was too over-the-top goofy, even by C&C standards, for my liking.

In fact the BEST C&C-themed shooter out there is Unreal 2004: certain attack/defend maps are modded with C&C weapons like tesla coils and flame towers.

7. Re: ... Dec 12, 2007, 13:27 Jerykk

I was hoping this would take place in the Red Alert universe.

6. Re: Forgotten Hope 2 Dec 12, 2007, 12:26 JAGUART

http://80.190.246.101:6969/

the passworded bittorrent download for Forgotten Hope 2, a BF2 mod in development for 2 1/2 years, is now available. Rumor has it they will release the passworded RAR file sometime on Friday.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 12:40.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

5. Re: ... Dec 12, 2007, 12:04 Warhawk

I have Renegade queued up to play as my next game - never got around to it before.

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And we’re out of beta, we’re releasing on time
So I’m GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

4. Re: The Video Dec 12, 2007, 11:36 Armengar

EA FPS? I don't hold much hope.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

3. Re: The Video Dec 12, 2007, 11:27 Cypher

Ah, dude, that's just a proof of concept pre rendered video done by a 3rd party studio for EALA. That's not part of the game. At all.

2. ... Dec 12, 2007, 10:53 theyarecomingforyou

Well, if it's based on a decent engine then it could be quite fun. There's so much potential there and seeing that C&C3 did well at restoring the brand there is still a possibility this will be a decent game. I'm interested but I have low expectations.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. The Video Dec 12, 2007, 10:46 PHJF

http://video.aktualne.centrum.cz/11/72/117218m-udajne-video-z-command-conquer-tiberium.wmv

Pretty lousy stuff, CG looks like it's from 1994

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo