Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fury Goes Free, Bad News to Follow

More details are coming to light about the state of Fury, the recently launched MMORPG that has reportedly not lived up to the expectations of developer Auran (story). Following a press release confirming staff cuts and that game support is being outsourced to China (story), Kotaku Australia has word that the game will go completely free-to-play as of the Chosen (story) content update on December 14, and a dire comment from Auran CEO saying: "We will then have some bad news to follow (unless a miracle occurs), but there will be a very positive end to the week." While we wait for that other shoe to drop, here's the announcement of Fury's new business model:

Cockpit, Austin, TX - December 10, 2007 – Gamecock Media Group and Auran Games today announced a new Free to Download, Free to Play option for their fast paced arena combat game FURY. The new business model will begin with the release of the first major free content update “Age of the Chosen” on December 14, 2007.

“FURY was built around giving players options that suit their play style and their wallet,” said Tony Hilliam, CEO of Auran. “With the AotC update, we are introducing a new player category called “Chosen”. As one of the Chosen, players can access all game types, equip all weapons and unlock all 400 abilities – and they can play as much as they like absolutely free. This is a fantastic opportunity for players to jump into battle with their mates and discover the frenetic pace of the fastest RPG combat ever. Chosen will earn less gold and essence, and will not be able to trade with other players.”

“Chosen players can purchase game gold from the FURY store or upgrade to “Hero” status to earn more Essence and Gold. Retail stores sell the “Hero” status pack, along with a free month of “Immortal” status, so this is $30 value for the new price of $19.99 (in US stores). As a Hero or Immortal players can unlock abilities faster and purchase better gear, but the matchmaker then ensures they are playing against other players of similar skill and rank.”

FURY: Age of the Chosen is a massive free content update that introduces two new game types aimed at the new player. “Carnage” throws two teams into battle with the aim of returning blood tokens to their base faster than their opposition. Blood tokens are gained from killing bots, not other players, so the action is indirect competition rather than head to head. The 1v1 Elimination game type means games will spawn faster and matches are more evenly balanced.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Fury sucks Dec 12, 2007, 02:39 jeremiah66

Fury was the worst MMORPG I've ever played. Buggy, badly designed, stupid arbitrary non-fun gameplay that seemed aimed at 8 year olds. Makes me wonder how games like this ever get out of testing. You'd think someone would have said "Hey guys, our game sucks!" Only good game Auran ever was associated with was Dark Reign. I am amazed this one was ever released and I'm amazed it took this long for the dirtnap. It makes Stormreach look like an amazingly excellent game in comparison.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 20:30 shinchan0s

Touché.

22. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 17:55 Talisorn

For shinchan0s who might be reading this... here's the truth:

You fucking suck at games commentary. Just stop gaming all together and annihilate yourself from the top of a tall building.

Everything that come out of you is automatically a pile of liquid shit. No exceptions. I heard it's like a natural law or something.

Fixed.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 17:55.

21. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 17:45 The Half Elf

Planetside 'died' long before WoW was out.

If they would revamp vehicle controls and a nice graphic overhaul I'd head back to Planetside in a second.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 17:34 Krovven

Planetside was pretty popular about 5 or 6 years ago,

The game is only 4.5 years old.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

19. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 17:16 nightfend

I can't believe people don't know what Planetside is. Are you really that young? Or just not that into gaming?

Planetside was pretty popular about 5 or 6 years ago, but died away around the time that WoW and Battlefield 1942 came out. So it's not a new game by any means. In fact I'm not even sure it's really being played anymore.

18. No subject Dec 11, 2007, 16:49 Ice Nine

I'm pretty sure the follow-up news is going to go something like this:

"Well, we tried, and we can't even GIVE it away, so we're shutting it down. Now. Clean out your desks!"

17. Keen Dec 11, 2007, 16:34 Kosumo

To see what this new follow up game "Bad News" is? Maybe a single player PvP mmo with a $15.99 fee and advrtising set in an online world where people chat on a 'webnet' about how charp things are? Is there a market for this?
This comment was edited on Dec 11, 16:38.

16. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 16:14 Krovven

I went to the Planetside website and when I looked at the game over view, it didn't say a thing about PvP

The whole game is PvP. Did you click on "Overview" and read it? First paragraph, 2nd sentence. "...Planetsides first-person player-to-player combat.."

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

15. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 15:39 Pumas

Planetside was the bomb diggity (to use a phrase that was never then and will never be "cool")....in Beta. Then Sony did so much screwing with the balance that in the end it ended up not being as fun anymore. My roommate and I played in the closed Beta together every single day it was active and were having a blast...we bought the game following and were unbelievably disappointed. Having touched it since

Oh man, 3 Vanguard death squad was the most fun I have had in a game ever...too bad it didn't last

As for Fury, I played that Beta as well. It was a JOKE. So terrible it's amazing it made it to retail.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

14. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 14:48 Acleacius

The Half Elf, I went to the Planetside website and when I looked at the game over view, it didn't say a thing about PvP. I have heard of it but don't know anything about it so, I will take your word.
The screen shots looked ok, since I mostly play RPGs now days and am long passed the "omg it has to have the greatest graphics" years ago, so that wouldn't keep me from trying it.
Personally I still don't get the PvP thing as I was weened on DM and Coop, so paying per month for something I can get for free, with any number of no pay online games, seems unnecessary.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Fury Dec 11, 2007, 14:11 Tumbler

Fury had some interesting ideas, lots of options in essentially a paper/rock/scissors type combat game but the controls were historically bad.

It needs to be easier to control your avatar and make him do what you want him to do, all I remember about this game is how hard it was to do simple stuff.

Ending Song on Portal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGfgV7rJHI

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 13:31 MMORPGHoD

You told us, but I doubt anyone read it. Your post was the only one in that topic.

And did anyone really think Fury was going to be a big hit? This game wasn't even on my radar. The only thing related to this we even bothered to discuss was the naming of "Gamecock Media Group".

11. Devestating Dec 11, 2007, 13:30 Riker

Wow, another generic MMORPG failing to take business away from World of Warcraft... astonishing.

10. ... Dec 11, 2007, 13:11 theyarecomingforyou

Three posts in 9 months? That's quite impressive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 13:09 shinchan0s

For anybody from Auron who might be reading this... here's the truth:

You fucking suck at developing games. Just stop gaming all together and annihilate yourself from the top of a tall building.

Every MMORPG from the other hemisphere is automatically a pile of liquid shit. No exceptions. I heard it's like a natural law or something.

8. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 13:02 speedbacon

you lose at reading batman...

And predicting that a game is going to fail is somehow a hard/rare thing? If it was, then I'd be a freekin prophet.

7. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 12:57  Cruciform 

His second post.

6. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 12:35 xXBatmanXx

I would like to travel back in time to when this game was first posted on bluesnews.com and I told you all it was a scam.

So for all you that didn't listen to me then I am going to go ahead and say " I TOLD YA SO " and maybe next time you guys will listen to my words of wisdom that are rarely uttered here on the glory that is the bluesnews site.

Well, you suck at remembering - considering you have 3 posts, looking at those 3.....I see nothing that says, "I told ya so".

Thank you have a nice day.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: OooO Dec 11, 2007, 12:20 Frosty

"I told you all it was a scam."

What are you talking about? I got no memo.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo