Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 14:04 MachineMk2

The problem is that only about one in 20 of the Wii games actually utilize the Wii-mote in a way that's fun. Metroid Prime is probably the best one. The remainder of the games seem to punish you for having it.

So, I'll stay with gimmicky. And it's not the future of consoles. Sony already learned that lesson.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 13:55 Cabezone

The controls are gimmicky.

Have you played Metroid Prime? those are, by far, the best console controls for a shooter. Thumbstick doesn't even come close. The rest of the motion sensing I could do without, but the pointing is something all future consoles should have.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 12:53 JM

"occasionally I grab the Wii of my sister"

That one's just too easy so I'll leave it be.

8. Re: ... Dec 9, 2007, 11:22 Enahs

and the control system is imprecise

Ya know. I can not help but wonder about the control system. In some games it is just phenomenal how precise it is. In others, it is a crap shoot, luck of the draw.

I thought there would have been some standards set-forth by Nintendo about the controller programming; with ample help from Nintendo to other developers; but I guess not.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

7. ... Dec 9, 2007, 11:10 theyarecomingforyou

The Wii is absolutely brilliant for parties and multiplayer. However, as a standalone console it doesn't stand up well and there are very few decent games out there - the graphics are bad and the control system is imprecise. If there were another 10 or 20 games like Wii Sports then it would be an amazing console but that seems very unlikely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 09:08 MachineMk2

Let's start by defining "overrated." The Wii is in short supply (not that hard to get to be honest) because of a decent marketing campaign and everybody walking around saying how much fun it is. And for the first five to ten minutes, it's all sorts of gee-whiz fun. Then, the party is over and there's nobody to show how cool it is, and you realize it's not worth messing around with.

I think there are maybe two to four games, period, that are worth playing for the Wii. I had one. I played Zelda for about eight hours total. Then it sat on the shelf collecting dust. And it went the way of Ebay.

The controls are gimmicky. The graphics are sod. And most of the games are really, really bad ports. Now, that's not so unusual for Nintendo. I bought a Gamecube when they hit $99, and I used it solely for Metroid. And I wasn't willing to wait the eternity for Super Mario Galaxy which I would have played for about three hours and then gotten tired of the endless star collecting.

But the Wii fanatcism that people are expressing is wholly undeserved. I suppose it's always better to want.

There are certain to be folks who like them. And I think the Wii is fine for what it is. But it's not the "must have" console people think it is. Therefore, overrated.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 09:09.

5. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 08:17 Morgan19

Wii = overrated

Not at all. If you're a hardcore solitary "don't bug me" gamer than sure, it might not be great. But for families, or groups of people who want to play together, or a couple like me and my wife, the Wii is fantastic because whoever's involved can both easily and painlessly enjoy some videogaming at a more common-denominator. Sure, it may be a bit more "everyone-friendly" than a lot of gamers are used to, but like it or not the playable-by-all factor is hard to say about any other system.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 08:18.

4. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2007, 07:15 Flo

I usually spend most of my game time on the PC or the 360 but occasionally I grab the Wii of my sister. I bought Resident Evil 4 for the weekend and although it's one hell of a game my eyes again need to adapt to the low resolution of the wii (even with a component cable). Seriously, a CPU and a GPU twice the current speed wouldn't hurt, Nintendo!  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

3. No subject Dec 8, 2007, 18:08 D4rkKnight

regardless its doing very well and spells out a bright future for Nintendo.

2. No subject Dec 8, 2007, 17:40 Cabezone

How is it overrated? I'd don't recall many articles saying it's the best game machine. Being popular does not make something overrated.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

1. No subject Dec 8, 2007, 16:34 MachineMk2

Wii = overrated

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo