Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Daikatana

GameTap has word they are going to make you their… well, that they are offering the chance to play Daikatana for free through the end of this year. To accompany the free play, they have posted a Daikatana Retrospective that looks at the storied history of this first-person shooter from John Romero and ION Storm, robot frog-induced warts and all.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. KINGPIN? Dec 7, 2007, 00:31 Wolftrap40

LOL...oh yes. I still play MP Kingpin and every now and then will burn through the SP.

I belong here Glad I joined

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Do I REMEMBER REQUIEM? Dec 7, 2007, 00:19 Wolftrap40

Dude, I have an Xbox 360, a screaming computer, and every other console available.

One of my FAVORITE GAMES was Requiem. I've patched and tweaked it to the point where it still runs on my new equipment, and I LOVE it. To me, Requiem ranks up there with all the Dooms, Quakes, and Bloods. Glad to know SOMEONE out there still values a bitchin' sleeper game

42. No subject Dec 6, 2007, 21:25 nin

Here ya go!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0OGZYXUF

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: Not so bad Dec 6, 2007, 20:54 PHJF

Also, anyone remember the little gem of a game called Requiem? God that was a great game at the time, but noone reviewed it.

TWO WORDS: BLOOD BOIL

I think CGW reviewed it which was where I found out about it. That was some good shit.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: Not so bad Dec 6, 2007, 19:59 Eldaron Imotholin

Also, anyone remember the little gem of a game called Requiem? God that was a great game at the time, but noone reviewed it.

Hell, I remember that game alright! And I'll damn-straight never forget it either. That game, Requiem, is about the coolest FPS I've ever played. Malachi.. he was one tough angel! Resurrecting fallen enemies to let them fight by your side was simply awesome and no game from then 'till now ever achieved an equal fun-factor considering that feat.

Requiem...
Friggin' fantastic.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

39. Re: Muhahah Dec 6, 2007, 17:01 Ray Marden

Overall? Or from GameSh*t?

The score will vary...
Yeah, you're bitter.
Unable to resist :o,
Ray

-----
I'm william Shatner and I'm a shaman - what's your game?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

38. Re: For Real? Dec 6, 2007, 15:35 nin

The buddy AI, horrible.
Superfly character can be thought of as offensive by some.

Yeah, anyone still have a link to that mp3 someone made w/ some of the sound bites set to music? It was a riot...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

37. Re: For Real? Dec 6, 2007, 15:20 Overon

The buddy AI, horrible.
Superfly character can be thought of as offensive by some.

36. Re: Not so bad Dec 6, 2007, 14:07 Ecthelion

It was reviewed by GameSpot, IGN, and PC Gamer UK (not sure about the US version); it seems to have gotten a decent amount of reviews (although not as many as a big title like Half Life). But I definitely don't remember ever hearing about it until now. I never played it, but it sounds pretty interesting, and the screenshots on MobyGames look cool. I'm sorry I missed it when it came out; I wouldn't have the same sense of awe at the graphics if I played it now.

Big games tend to draw attention from smaller games, even if those smaller games are just as good or better.

35. Re: Not so bad Dec 6, 2007, 12:32 grahamslam

I agree with blackhawk. This is actually one of the very few games I ever played through more than once. The greek levels were absolutely the best and very gorgeous (even graphically speaking for the time when the game was released). I also remember that there was a story about how many reviewers never actually played the game and they still reviewed it, just to jump on the bandwagon to bash the game. Interesting enough the reviewers would say "I didn't make it passed the frogs, so this game sucks." Also, anyone remember the little gem of a game called Requiem? God that was a great game at the time, but noone reviewed it. I remember firingsquad reviewed it and said something to the fact of "this could be a suprise hit" but everyone had their heads soooo far up their ass playing half-life, they didn't take the time to play any other good game out at the time. It's pathetic really that people choose one game that they like and all else is shit...god forbid if u like more than one game at once.

34. Not so bad Dec 6, 2007, 09:55 Blackhawk

Add me to the list of people who finished this one. It wasn't that bad of a game. It had a couple of flaws, mainly your sidekicks, but once you learned to keep them out of the way, it wasn't too awful. The Greek levels were actually quite a bit of fun, and memorable.

The problem was that while it was decent, it was nowhere near what its marketing and PR made it out to be, which turned it into a pile-on whipping boy - I've found that 3/4 of the people who bashed the game the most had never bothered to play it. They were just trying to do the 'cool' thing.

It wasn't perfect, and the annoyances made it not worth a re-play, but it really was fun.

33. screw that... Dec 6, 2007, 09:27 ^mortis^

I WANT KINGPIN!!
(not that i would pay for the gametap service anyway, but still...)
^m^

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 09:28.

32. Re: Muhahah Dec 6, 2007, 09:06 Yifes

what do we have these days, generic shooter 12, or unimaginative well marketed game which takes 6 years to release. Bah call me bitter!

In which of your categories do Crysis, Portal and Bioshock belong?

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 09:07.

31. Hmmm.... Dec 6, 2007, 08:54 Dreagon

Still not worth it.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

30. Re: For Real? Dec 6, 2007, 08:54 Ecthelion

They took wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too long in releasing it, but it is a natural progression between something like Quake and Half-Life.
But it was released 2 years after Half-Life - how is it a natural progression if it comes after the game that's the next evolutionary step?

Not amazing and rough as hell, but it tried to introduce some ideas that would later be implemented properly in other games (teammates, leveling your weapon, the shooter/lite RPG hybrid, etc.)
Half-Life (which as I already said came two years earlier) had decent teammates, although the way the game was designed you could never keep any of them for very long (they wouldn't spawn with you through some of the level transitions). Unreal - which also came two years earlier - had weapons upgrades (although it was only for one of the weapons). Admittedly, this was improved as time went on. But Daikatana was hardly the first to feature it. I'm sure there were earlier shooters that had RPG elements (meaning Daikatana wouldn't have introduced that idea either), but I can't think of any at the moment.

Also, the first time period (the %$@#% industrial swamp and all the #$@#$% frogs) was just terrible - asbsolutely, completely, utterly terrible. Which was even worse because it was the first time period you played in the game.
I only played the demo, and I never got past the first time period (I definitely remember the frogs). I wasn't impressed, so I never tried the full game. Looking at the readme for the demo, it looks like it covered later time periods, but the first was so lackluster that I didn't bother playing through to the later periods.

You'd think developers would learn from this mistake and make sure the demo level was a good one to sell the game on, but occasionally they'll make the same mistake Romero did. Remember the Hitman: Blood Money demo? The tutorial level didn't represent the rest of the game very well - it was a poor choice, and quite a few gamers decided not to buy the game. Although I always enjoy playing through that level, the "real" ones are much, much better. One of them would have made a more ideal demo level. The ghost of Daikatana strikes again!

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 08:55.

29. Pinkness Dec 6, 2007, 07:29 Eldaron Imotholin

Daikatana rocks! w00t! I loved it, and still do!

Wait.. I started typing this in sarcasm... but, really, as far as my memory allows me to go back in time, was this game really that bad once you got back in time? The medieval maps were pretty ok, not? Oh well, I might be looking into the past through pink sunglasses...

Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

28. Re: Muhahah Dec 6, 2007, 07:24 FreonTrip

Call you utterly justified is more like it.

27. Muhahah Dec 6, 2007, 06:57 Bilbo

I rekon that if they released it today with top of the range graphics it would get 90% easily due to the current piss poor state of bad games with amazingly high scores. This game was never that bad when it was released compared to some of the shitola out there it was just given a very bad rep because of the hype surrounding Ion Storm at the time. I mean at least give them some credit for having some imagination back then? what do we have these days, generic shooter 12, or unimaginative well marketed game which takes 6 years to release. Bah call me bitter!

26. Re: No subject Dec 6, 2007, 06:43 Masa

John Romero is going to make you his FREE bitch.

That just sounds stupid.

25. Re: No subject Dec 6, 2007, 05:02 DI-MeisterM

Multiplayer is still fun an really well balanced. In 1vs1, team deathmatch or capture the flag it's really tactical...if you know how to play it

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 05:02.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo