Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpot Follow-up

Joystiq offers brief comments from GameSpot to speculation that a lukewarm review of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men triggered the firing of longtime editor Jeff Gerstmann (story). The statement does not actually speak directly to this case, as they say "it is CNET Networks' policy not to comment on the status of its employees, current of [sic] former." They do, however, defend their editorial integrity in a more general sense, saying: "For over a decade, Gamespot and the many members of its editorial team have produced thousands of unbiased reviews that have been a valuable resource for the gaming community. At CNET Networks, we stand behind the editorial content that our teams produce on a daily basis."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. No subject Dec 2, 2007, 07:32 dryden555

i've been readng gamespot since its inception and it was moving in a mostly good direction with Greg Kasivin as Chief Editor. but he left less than a year ago, then a surprising number of well-liked jr editors left. Now its pretty clear something was not healthy over there since editors were continuing to jump ship. Honestly though -- Jeff Gurstman should have known he wasnt right for the Chief Editor job -- he's typically too subjective in his reviews and he's cranky in personality. I'm not shocked his editorial tenure lasted less than 3 months, even if the manner that he was fired was highly and deeply unprofessional by C-Net.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 07:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Stop Dec 1, 2007, 14:49 EricTheMad

I've never understood why news outlets of any kind bother to give "air time" to pointless, ass-covering, "nothing to see here", "everything is right with the world" PR bullshit.

Because it's part of the story. Actually I think it's the best part of the story because the ass-covering is usually so obvious that it's more like an admission of guilt.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

10. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 23:35 Hump

Alex Navarro's blog has the following:

Remember SimCity? Remember what a joy it was to build up a fully functioning, living, breathing city, full of life and wonderment? Then, at some point down the road, after you've built up your city to the peak of its productiveness, you'd start mashing the disaster button and a wide variety of tornadoes, earthquakes, and fake Godzillas would come tromping through, laying firey waste to every bit of what you'd worked so painstakingly to create?

Yeah. It's a little bit like that. Except someone hit the disaster button for me.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/AlexN/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234567

Not the post of a happy employee.

I would love to see the senior editorial staff get up and quit en-masse and start a competing site the following day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 22:41 Sepharo

I wish they would make a news post for today's PA strip. Either they're choosing their words very wisely and taking their time or waiting to see what else happens before they comment.

Added: Also, I never read the big sites for reviews. I do my own research: watch videos, read interviews, and read discussions right here on bluesnews *gasp*. And risking sounding like even more of a PA fanboy, but, I tend to agree with them 100% in every one of their reviews. Their opinion holds more weight then any big site out there, let's hope they never corrupt.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 22:51.

8. Re: Follow-up Nov 30, 2007, 22:19 Kosumo

Well, the important thing here is that it was out by christmas and many people (who don't play games) will still buy this for others that do.

7. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 22:15 Ray Marden

...At CNET Networks, we stand behind the editorial content that our teams produce on a daily basis."

Except...this time?

Or only when it's convenient?

When your advertisers allow you to?
There's another fake blurb about them denying external pressure.
Rolling my eyes,
Ray

-----
I'm william Shatner and I'm a shaman - what's your game?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

6. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 22:14 Donkey_Punch

This sort of the thing is only the tip of the iceberg in the gaming world. It is one seedy business. With so much money at stake the gaming industry has attracted some real scumbags.

Gamespot should be ashamed of themselves and rehire Jeff Gerstmann. This is nothing less than fraud when a company pressures its reviewers to lie. They are misleading the public so that we will buy crappy products and they can line their pockets with advertising money.

5. Re: Follow-up Nov 30, 2007, 21:51 Kxmode

In other news GameSpot fired it's users for giving this game a combined rating of 2.6. A spokesperson for the User Base(R) writes, "perhaps at this time it would be prudent to cane and lynch GameSpot, because they're sooo dead, man!"

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

4. Follow-up Nov 30, 2007, 21:39 Kxmode

This is pure damage control

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

3. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 21:24 BrutalDeluxe

An update on joystick mentions that basically gamespot isn't denying the fact that eidos put pressure on them. They also pulled the video review. I bet you that next we'll see K&L score change by magic! Amazing.

Gamespot and eidos were quick to disable their forums and comments. Amazing crapstorm coming their way.

I pulled my GS subscription an hour ago.

2. Stop Nov 30, 2007, 21:03 Riker

Please, don't post this sort of thing. I've never understood why news outlets of any kind bother to give "air time" to pointless, ass-covering, "nothing to see here", "everything is right with the world" PR bullshit.

1. No subject Nov 30, 2007, 20:51 Bill Borre

This game was very disappointing to me. After it got to the point where the hostages in the bank were executed and he defended himself by claiming "I just get these violent blackouts", I was thinking to myself "This is stupid."

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo