Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 21:25 wtf_man

Wow... guess I stirred a bit of a hornets nest there!

I only linked the ad as a specific poke at Vista (which the ad specifically does). I'm obviously still keeping my fairly expensive, liquid cooled, and overclocked XP box for gaming.

While some of you take the ad's as an "insult"... I have always found them fairly humorous (as have others)... even before I bought a Mac. If you are taking the ads personally, I think you may need to seek help! So lighten up!

As for the cost... Bottom end iMac is pretty much on par with a PC ($1199) for a decent all-in-one. The Mac mini's are also on par compared to the same PC minis ($599+). I agree their prices are stupid for things like RAM (Which is why I bought after market RAM for a fracion of the cost), and their higher end machines are stupidly priced for what little upgrade in hardware you get.

That said... for a pre-built machine... I'd recommend a Mac over a PC to a TYPICAL computer illiterate person any day. (Which is the market Apple, Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. mainly shoot for... not us gamers)

For a gamer... it goes without saying which is superior.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 15:38 CreamyBlood

OS/X is pretty slick. I installed the hackintosh version on my AMD a few months back. Even started learning Coco and ported over a game browser backend and started developing a front end for it.

But even my zealot Mac buddies wouldn't install Enemy Territory or my app to test it, and they used to be BF2 windows gamers. So I eventually lost interest in it. But it is a nice operating system without a doubt.

The hardware is getting closer to parity with the PC in price, but they are still somewhat 'consolish' in their configurations and of course, overpriced.

I think it's definitely a viable OS for many people. I think I'd buy the Leopard if they allowed you to install it on any PC though I doubt that will happen for a long time because of all the support issues and drivers, etc. They wouldn't be able to say 'It just works' if they did that.

And yes, those commercials are really patronizing/concescending/insulting, whatever. One word I could use for some of my friends and acquaintances that think they are superior because they bought into the Apple marketing of self-superiority is: smug.

It's an operating system, and a nice one. It doesn't make you special.

11. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 10:11 4D-Boxing

Those commercials are annoying just because they keep putting the emphasis on the fun stuff you can do on Mac's but what is more fin than playing a game? Are Mac's any good at that? No.. so the commercials are an insult to the intelligence of all computer users PC & Mac.

Pretty weak when a commenrcial revolves around bashing the competition. To me that says Mac's have nothing tangible that proves they are better so they hurl insults. Release soething that will compete then make real commercials.

10. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 09:30 Enahs

couldn't believe it, so I did something crazy - on a business trip to the US I bought one, because they were dirt cheap

Huh? What? That was always the problem with Mac's, they are expensive as hell relative to an equivalent PC!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 07:29 Trashy

Sorry guys, but Macs are now just over priced Dells with a different name... sure the operating systems pretty spiffy..

but if you want a Unix based operating system, just run Linux. .. the latest version of Wine, I can run Orange box and my vice World of Warcraft with no issues and if it boils down to it you can dual boot windows without too much trouble.

Also unlike Apple the Linux community are not slouches on security.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 07:32.

8. No subject Nov 26, 2007, 07:03 BrutalDeluxe

Ah. I have a confession to make: I used to be very much anti-Mac. In fact I don't think you could find more anti-mac than me - I even forced my employees to use PCs when they wanted to use a Mac. I encouraged family members to sell theirs. And those ads - don't even get me started. They made me throw things at my TV. I thought simply the Mac as a sub-par OS sold on overpriced hardware.

Until one day the Macbook 13' came out and my best friend, who also happens to be a Unix demi-God, bought one and became wax lyrical about it. I couldn't believe it, so I did something crazy - on a business trip to the US I bought one, because they were dirt cheap, and came with money back guarantee. I thought 'hey I'm here for 2 weeks, might as well buy myself a toy to keep me busy'.

Well I never used the money back guarantee, and sold my windows laptop the day I was back in Old Blighty. It's now my main OS, running with Parallels for the development work only when absolutely necessary.

Sure I keep a modded-out PC for gaming, and tinkering with hardware. But I don't think you'll ever see me work on a PC again. Seriously, it's that good. And once you're 'converted' those ads are actually quite funny

7. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 05:21 MattyC

Don't get me wrong, I love OS X... I am waiting on my MacBook Pro to arrive this week and I still have a perfectly good G4 PowerMac, but you aren't going to VMWare games... at least not semi-current ones. You should look into boot camp or just use Windows for that. That is what I have my trusty PC for

That is the beauty of having choices in an OS. You can run the one that best fits your needs. If you want to game, it is still very much on Windows. If Vista FUD scared you off, don't worry. It is the same rants that happened after the last few Windows releases. Performance drops were mostly related to early drivers. See the firing squad article for more on that.

As for the link, again I do love OS X, Justin Long regurgitates crap for marketing people. It has no basis in reality. The Mac ads never have, even before him. It is sad that they feel the need to put out such stupid ads when they have a product that could pretty much sell itself :/

If they really wanted to sell Macs they would just let people try them. I had to deal with them in middle and high school on OS 9, and I thought Macs were overpriced junk. Then I went to college... I thought I was free of Apple, but my graphic design classes were (you guessed it) all using Macs, but these Macs ran OS X. I kind of dreaded it at first, but I ended up enjoying the OS after 4 years. Now I am happily using both a PC and a Mac. Each for what they are good for.

6. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 03:50 Jerykk

Yeah, when your ad campaign revolves entirely around insulting your competitors, that's usually not a good sign.

5. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2007, 02:41 The Half Elf

I have no problem with you enjoy Mac's, but when you start throwing those fucking annoying 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials around, your asking for it!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2007, 22:06 wtf_man

Just bought an iMac. (Obviously don't intend to game with it)

Very happy... should have done this years ago, Leopard is a lot of fun.

I still have my XP gaming rig and a couple of linux boxes... Gonna run VMWare Fusion to keep my Windows platform sofware investment running on my iMac, and slowly migrate off of windows software entirely. Then, when there's a powerful enough Mac to run all my XP games under VMWare... I'll buy another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysHSDiiuWWE

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 22:07.

3. No subject Nov 25, 2007, 17:35 Bone43

microsoft already said there wasn't going to be any meaningful updates like that to the OS.

Lets see Vista = abysmal sales, screams from PC manufactures about Vista hardware support, high overhead, bad DRM and security implementation plus crappy multimedia performance, so what happens MS caves in and allows them to bring back XP as a choice on new PC's.

Probably worse in MS view other than Dell offering Ubuntu as a OS option might be the recent surge of Linux and Mac adopter's in response to dissatisfaction with Vista, This seems especially true on laptops which most PC manufactures see as the future of sales and replacing the desktop eventually.

Possibly from MS's point of view "$" its might just be better to back XP for awhile longer and keep something MS on the desktop than discontinue it and have Vista ONLY.

2. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2007, 16:26 HardCore

"Windows XP SP3 boasts speed boost, testers claim."

Malarchy!

microsoft already said there wasn't going to be any meaningful updates like that to the OS.

Yeah, like they want to even make Vista look even worse and make XP more inviting. That is not the Microsoft way.

1. No subject Nov 25, 2007, 16:14 Overon

The speed boost is in their office 2007 test suite? Who cares? If it's in games, then I care.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo