Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Psychonauts

GameTap is providing the chance to play Psychonauts for free, as they now offer a version of Double Fine's action game that works in the free GameTap player. This edition of Psychonauts can be played for free until the end of this year.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Only for US and Canada Nov 24, 2007, 04:04 Jerykk

Well worth it I think, and remember more sales gives him incentive to make more good games for the PC.

At this point, any sales for Psychonauts won't make any difference. Double Fine's next game, Brutal Legend, has already been confirmed as a console exclusive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Only for US and Canada Nov 23, 2007, 04:59 LarsWestergren

>Only for US and Canada. Next time, if you can say it in the post - I just downloaded and installed ~100 MB for nothing

Yeah, Gametap are fun, aren't they...
Remember you can still buy it on Steam, anywhere. Well worth it I think, and remember more sales gives him incentive to make more good games for the PC.

It might still be possible to find it in bargain bins for just a dollar or two (in your local currency) if you are lucky. I bought four of those actually and gave away to friends.

23. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 23, 2007, 01:31 Kxmode

F' you, you filthy unwashed heathen!

LOL

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/

22. Only for US and Canada Nov 22, 2007, 19:18 shul

Next time, if you can say it in the post - I just downloaded and installed ~100 MB for nothing

21. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 18:33 Enahs

100 points to all of you for keeping this civilized!

F' you, you filthy unwashed heathen!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 16:23 Kxmode

The science of marketing on the human psyche. This has been an interesting discussion. 100 points to all of you for keeping this civilized!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/

19. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 06:43 Jerykk

Mario and Ratchet and Clank are just as strange.

Mario is an established franchise that has been around for years. It doesn't even need marketing anymore. Slap "Mario" on the box and it'll sell. As for Ratchet and Clank, I don't think you can really say that it's as strange as Psychonauts. Sure, you play as a furry humanoid and you have a robot, but it's nothing that people haven't really seen in animated films before. Psychonauts, on the other hand, has a very unique style that may put off many people (as it initially did with me).

18. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2007, 06:25 osage no onna

I was tempted but it seems like I need to load the GameTap software which I presume is chock full of spyware, adware, etc. Thanks... But no thanks.

When you become automatically cynical of everything, the internet has won :\

17. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 06:05 Chicken

I agree with kxmode, for some reason whenever I see the title "Psychonauts" (or look at the box) the first thing that pops into my mind is "POPCAP" and I mean that in the worst way.

Most consumers won't go past that stage to actually look up some reviews/demos after that initial impression.

16. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 05:51 Prez

True. I have often wondered, though, if the market he was trying to reach actually no longer exists.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

15. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 04:55 loomy

I think marketing is the reason for that. The game is strange, but not that strange. Mario and Ratchet and Clank are just as strange. But those games are marketed in such a way that they appeal to people and make money, while psychonauts was marketed in such a way that I wanted to puke all over it

The same goes for Beyond Good & Evil, by the way

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 04:57.

14. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 02:53 LarsWestergren

>Every review I've read about this game scored it extremely high - why then was this game an utter disaster at the cash register?

Those fans who knew his works from before were PC gamers (probably in their 30s, at least) who like deep adventure games. A lot of them, when they heard about this game first, they probably thought "A poor port of a console oriented platform game? Uh...pass".

I was one of them, but the reviews quickly won me over.

Most console kiddies on the other hand probably went, OMG A GAEM WERE I KANT BEHEAD PPL AND BEAT UP HOES!?! LAME!

Seems his next game is console only though.

13. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 22, 2007, 01:16 Prez

Every review I've read about this game scored it extremely high - why then was this game an utter disaster at the cash register?  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 21, 2007, 23:20 VT Hoodlum

I'm playing it right now; got it for $10 shipped from half.com, and while I don't know that its one of the best of the past decade, it is a fun game. I already know I won't go back and collect EVERYTHING that I can possibly get, but its a solid 3-d platformer with good writing, voice acting, and a fwe good laughs. I had no problem paying $10 for this, so free is a great price.

11. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 21, 2007, 23:14 PHJF

One of the best games of the past decade. Chess level, godzilla level, neighborhood level... all so fucking brilliant.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Free doesn't mean free Nov 21, 2007, 21:39 Jerykk

Even after I picked up the box, looked at the artwork, flipped around to the back and saw the screenshots... still didn't convey the game I wanted to play.

Yeah, the style initially turned me off as well. However, as I played the game more and more, I came to appreciate its charm. Unfortunately, mainstream consumers aren't going to give a game a chance unless it's immediately familiar to them and so Psychonauts was doomed to fail.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 21:39.

9. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 20:28 Elf Shot The Food

Not a bad game, but seriously overrated.

8. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 20:28 Jonny5

Your a pathetic,paranoid loser.

Spyware this bitch

7. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 20:23 LittleMe

I was tempted but it seems like I need to load the GameTap software which I presume is chock full of spyware, adware, etc. Thanks... But no thanks. There are better software delivery methods I hear this game is very good though so I do want to check it out.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 20:15 zincthallinide

It's basically a 3D platformer, but it's so good that it doesn't matter.

If you play this game and don't like at least some part of it.. you are not meant to play games.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo