Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Catalyst Drivers

The ATI Drivers & Software Page now offers new version 7.11 Catalyst reference drivers for ATI accelerators running under Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux. Word is this month's driver update focuses on stability, and true to that, it solves a number of issues from various games. Crysis players, however, are advised to continue to use the Crysis hotfix driver on this page.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 25, 2007, 12:19 VogelAP

I sent you an email, Vince. I'll let you know if I learn anything!  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 23, 2007, 17:53 Eldaron Imotholin

Ok.

Well, I think we're left clueless for a while longer. If I find out what's the problem and how we can fix it, I'll send you an email. Would be cool if you can do the same to me. That's v_poppelier @hotmail.com .

Godspeed,
Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

19. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 23, 2007, 14:35 VogelAP

Mine is the XT1950 as well...  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

18. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 23, 2007, 12:55 Eldaron Imotholin

I've got a Radeon XT1950 how about you?

The tip I've been given, btw, didn't work.

17. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 23, 2007, 10:43 VogelAP

My experience is the same as Vince's -- the 7.10 driver installs fine. 7.11 does not install. The Crysis HotFix does not install. Something is munged, and I don't know where to turn!  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

16. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 23, 2007, 05:04 Eldaron Imotholin

To be honest, I didn't. But, to be honest, I had a feeling that the clearing - using the uninstallation software that comes with the ATI drivers - was the cause of the trouble in the first place. I could be wrong, though! Thanks for the tip and I'll try it.

Do know, however, that the older driver (7.10) installs without a problem.

Vince

15. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 22, 2007, 22:30 Jerykk

Did you try totally clearing all ATI files from your system using an app like Driver Cleaner Pro?

14. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 22, 2007, 16:14 Eldaron Imotholin

Anyone? I'm fucked...

13. Re: Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 22, 2007, 12:05 VogelAP

Yup. I get the same "Notify" error on my XP installation. No clue!

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 12:05.

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

12. Yay another installation HELL!! Nov 22, 2007, 05:04 Eldaron Imotholin

WHAT is it with those fuckin' driver updates? Again I am reminded not to follow the installation instructions that come with the ATI drivers, telling me to use the uninstall-utility that removes all ATI software from your system so that you can install the new driver clean. Because again I was stupid enough to do so, and now he doesn't want to install the new driver and my display is all fucked up

What's the error? Well, something like this:
A window pops up called "Notify" as I start the installation setup, the window, however, doesn't tell me anything.. it's completely blank, so I press "Ok". The notify window is then replaced by an "error" message saying something similar to: "size () !=3", and I press "Ok" again, which replaces that message with another error message saying something like:
"Error (0x0005321)" or whatever.

And then all's quiet, and I'm clueless what the fuck is up.

I ended up installing old drivers again - which, for some misterious reason, works without a problem.

For the record: Yes, I've downloaded the correct driver.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Giving me sense on what's the matter is enough. Thanks.

11. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 23:29 D4rkKnight

I don't know about options for that, but I run some older games that don't have wide-screen fine on my 16:10 monitor. I had an Nvidia card for 6 months before I got this ATI one, I've seen no difference in the resolutions between them.

10. ... Nov 21, 2007, 22:22 theyarecomingforyou

How would you expand the screen horizontally without screwing up the aspect ratio?
Sorry, I meant vertically... and it just stretches one axis, leaving borders on the other (versus borders on all sides).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: ... Nov 21, 2007, 19:24 Jerykk

nVidia drivers allow you to expand it horizontally without distorting the aspect ratio.

How would you expand the screen horizontally without screwing up the aspect ratio?

8. ... Nov 21, 2007, 18:26 theyarecomingforyou

It's not hard to run ATI Tray tools though, and just get the display driver, at that point it beats Nvidia's control panel.
I heard that it doesn't support fixed-aspect ratio scaling, meaning that non-widescreen games on a widescreen monitor are either stretched or in the middle with black borders around - nVidia drivers allow you to expand it horizontally without distorting the aspect ratio. If that's the case then that's a big disadvantage. Can any ATi users confirm if ATT, or CCC, has fixed-aspect ratio scaling?

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

7. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 17:48 D4rkKnight

CCC sucks. It's not hard to run ATI Tray tools though, and just get the display driver, at that point it beats Nvidia's control panel.

6. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 17:32 Overon

Noticed there new HD3870 is about 20% slower than the 8800gt for a few bucks less?
The demand and shortage for the 8800gt has mushroomed the price for the card in addition to the holiday season way above the MSRP.
Same is the case for the HD3870. However it's availability initially at least (as in right now) is easier to find so that it's price has not mushroomed beyond MSRP.
So until the prices come back down to earth, we shall see which offers the better performance/price ratio. The 8800gt is no doubt faster, but if the HD3870 price is low enough it's worth looking at.

5. ... Nov 21, 2007, 17:29 theyarecomingforyou

I was a long time ATi user but moved over to nVidia with the 8xxx series of cards - I am happy that I did. nVidia have much better drivers, though not perfect by any means. ATi need to ditch the CCC and come up with some decent hardware... I want them to do well because competition benefits the whole market.

4. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 17:13 Bone43

Noticed there new HD3870 is about 20% slower than the 8800gt for a few bucks less?

AMD/ATI need to catch up not only in GPU's but in CPU's as well and gain back some market share or nVidia and Intel will be the only ones left and will be paying out the ass.

3. then buy nvidia and be done with it Nov 21, 2007, 17:13 Cheese

I dont know what to tell you man. get nvidia and drop ATI

2. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 17:12 ViRGE

It's a dirty little secret, but the Crysis driver is newer. AMD is working on several drivers at once in different stages of testing; the Crysis driver is either the December or January driver released early.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo