Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PhysX UT3 Maps & SDK Plans

AGEIA Technologies Announces Unreal Tournament 3 PhysX Mod-Kit And Exclusive Unreal Engine 3 Content has word of PhysX-enabled content on the AGEIA Website and plans to release a PhysX SDK for UT3 next month. Here's a bit:

To showcase the power of the PhysX UT3 Mod-Kit and the PhysX processor, AGEIA Technologies is rolling out a series of Extreme PhysX Mod Levels for UT3 available as a free download starting today. The first set of PhysX mods includes the “Tornado” and “LightHouse” levels. The AGEIA Tornado PhysX Mod, which was first revealed at the Leipzig Games Conference earlier this year, features incredible physical realism and revolutionary new environmental impact powered by the PhysX processor. This completely new CTF map is named for the PhysX-powered tornado which tears the battlefield apart as the game progresses. In addition, the tornado actually lures rockets and projectile weapons into its vortex, if fired too close, presenting both dynamic risk and reward to daring players. Complementing Tornado is a new PhysX mod called LightHouse, which introduces an ominous, dungeon-like structure with myriad levels and hidden corridors, featuring a variety of destructible walls, floors and ceilings and new weaponry. Additional maps and mods showcasing other types of PhysX implementations and level morphs will be available soon as part of this ongoing AGEIA Mod-Kit program. The Mods will continue to offer compelling game-play scenarios as well as provide examples of AGEIA PhysX use encouraging modders to produce their own PhysX-driven experiences.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2007, 13:27 4D-Boxing

AMD considers buying Ageia...

Despite, Ageia’s disappointing games-support for its PhysX chip, the company's PhysX software is free, and has accordingly been used widely, even if the PhysX hardware itself isn’t supported. As such, buying Ageia could give AMD a chance to continue to compete in the gaming physics arena now that Intel has bought Havok.

This is news headline taken form another site.

If this pans out we might see the chip integrated in a future chipset or on a video card.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 23:29 Warhawk

Granted, it probably can't do the same things as what UE3 can do, but c'mon, enough with all the specialty cards already!

Agreed - let's start using more of the CPU cores many of us have available!

Now these points of data make a beautiful line
And we’re out of beta, we’re releasing on time
So I’m GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned
For the people who are still alive

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

24. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 19:47 the_culture

You have to create the market first when you introduce a new tech like this...

Exactly my point. AEGIA releases the PhysX card more than a year ago, few games use it, and the price point is too high. They are going in the wrong direction. I understand it takes time to get the tech integrated into game engines... but at what cost?

To this date, Valve has done the best in integrating physics into their engine, and it requires NO card. Granted, it probably can't do the same things as what UE3 can do, but c'mon, enough with all the specialty cards already!

23. Re: Price Nov 21, 2007, 17:59 _neolith_

A card like the PhysX will propably never be worth buying it - physics are clientside only and therefore can never be more than simple eyecandy in multiplayer games.

22. Price Nov 21, 2007, 17:32 ViRGE

Just an FYI on the price, Ageia has worked out a deal with NewEgg and TigerDirect to sell their BFG PhysX cards for $99 (after MIR) for the rest of the year.

21. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 16:56 LittleMe

Well I like the idea of a PPU but, yes, $150 is a lot. If more games support it I will get one. I think the PPU will help FPS especially, like me, your CPU is not the fastest out there (4200+X2). I hope the idea of a PPU doesn't go away. I think physics add a lot to gameplay.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

20. Re: ... Nov 21, 2007, 16:53 4D-Boxing

PhysX will provide an increase in at least performance in every UT3 engine game to date.

If that is the case, AGEIA should put that info on their site. On apersonal note, I do own one of those PPUs and I've never seen any improvement except in titles that specifically support PhysX.

UT3 Engine was designed to be able to take advantage of PhysX but I don't think All developers take advantage of that.

I get more of performance boost by renaming the exe but that is an SLi thing.

19. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 16:07 Bone43

Exactly just extra fluff...

Without the right hardware that fluff will cause a drop in frame rate.

Bottom line it's nothing special just effects that will make the game look a bit better than on regular setting

Funny that sounds about the same as Vista/DX10.

18. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 14:37 MMORPGHoD

I'd like to see the user feedback of the levels with destructible floors/walls/ceilings. Having something a little different like that around to try out doesn't sound like a bad idea. Let's face it, the multi-core support of PC games so far has been pretty sucky so far. I really don't see devs going out of their way to take advantage of PC specific enhancements lately.. they're too busy playing with consoles.

I don't think we'll need to worry about being forced to buy one of these cards any time soon and if it ever does become popular it'll probably be alot cheaper or be integrated on MBs too.

17. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 14:28 4D-Boxing

Exactly just extra fluff...

Without the right hardware that fluff will cause a drop in frame rate.

Bottom line it's nothing special just effects that will make the game look a bit better than on regular setting. Nothing that will impact game play...that stuff is only available on the Physx maps.

16. Re: ... Nov 21, 2007, 14:26 sponge

I want to know whether these cards will improve framerates in the main game or simply provide extra fluff and run slower. I'm all up for the idea of a PhysX card but not if nothing's gonna use it. If it doesn't do much for UT3 then it doesn't stand a chance of succeeding.

Both, if you are CPU limited. The game will accelerate existing physics functions by off-loading them off the CPU, in addition to providing the power for extra effects WITHOUT an FPS hit.

PhysX will provide an increase in at least performance in every UT3 engine game to date. Beats the pants off the Karma engine, that's for sure.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 14:27.

15. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 13:56 DangerDog

It's just extra fluff, and the main game doesn't do anything super special if you have the hardware in your system.

It'll be interesting to see if they put some special hooks that require the hardware to be in the sytem to run the maps and how long it'll take to strip that shit out if they do.

14. ... Nov 21, 2007, 13:29 theyarecomingforyou

I want to know whether these cards will improve framerates in the main game or simply provide extra fluff and run slower. I'm all up for the idea of a PhysX card but not if nothing's gonna use it. If it doesn't do much for UT3 then it doesn't stand a chance of succeeding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 13:26 4D-Boxing

Physics shold be done onthe CPU to avoid creating bottlnecks. CPU waiting for info from PPU etc..

On the other hand, if you look at Crysis, Even with everything on very high including physics a quad core does not add much in terms of performance. I get the same frame rate with an overclocked e6850 as people with QX6850.

12. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 12:51 Krovven

Ahh just checked NCIX and they are down to $145 here. Last I looked (2 months ago) they were still around $250.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

11. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 12:33 Hump

If they had released it at a reasonable price point early on (say like $75) I think they would've done well. I think they assumed people would salivate over the possibilities the same way they did with 3D rendering early on. Right now they need to work with MoBo manufacturers rather than trying to woo the public with add-in cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 12:19 ochentay4

I was interested because it was a good concept... but in reality it sucks. Everything tends to INTEGRATE, so why make use of a physics card when we have at least 2 or more cores to make use and even crytek or id (those guys really code) are still making experimental use of the second core? Let alone coding physics to a card...

Give it time, and that extra cores on your pc will be a lot better than buying an extra card that the only thing does is to break in half gaming comunity and in reality it does nothing that today procesors can.
This comment was edited on Nov 21, 12:20.

9. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 12:10 MMORPGHoD

The price is getting lower. One card is $129.99 at newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121015

I'm not looking to pick up one of these yet, but custom levels sound like a nice way to show off the tech.

8. No subject Nov 21, 2007, 12:05 Hump

To be honest I'm not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I did when UT2k4 came out. Maybe its because I burned myself out on that game and this is pretty much more of the same. Another issue that I never thought would be a problem is the visuals. The game actually looks TOO good. What I mean is that the artists went over-the-top in the same way they did with GoW and covered every nook, cranny, crenelation.....hell, every fucking surface with busy heavy-handed textures. It looks stunning in screenshots and even more-so when you are in-game standing there, but it turns out to be extremely distracting when you are playing. The "God Ray's", bloom, HDR FX are all over-the-top to the point of distraction as well. unfortunately the game allows only 4 minimal settings for graphics! This is a company that catered to hardcore players FFS, I hate to say it but the UI has been consolized.

I'm thinking I should've just gone with Mass Effect and grabbed UT3 later on.....

I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Nov 21, 12:06.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2007, 11:57 Krovven

I had always been interested in PhysX, but with the card being $250, do we really need a dedicated card for physics? Can't they just utilize multiple cores on current CPU's to power the physics, that cost less?

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo